• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SATA + IDE? Won't work here.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sucka

OK, so i broke up my RAID and wanted to use a SATA 10K raptor in each of my 2 rigs. So i set it up in one of them, and it works fine, i have the Raptor partitioned the way i like it, and a IDE hard drive there for storage, everything is fine in the world. Now on this other computer, i for the life of me can not get it to work the same. It's a Abit IC7-Max 3 motherboard using the same 2 drives as the other one, but i can't get them to work together. I set it to enhanced mode, i have the jumpers and all that in the right places (and tried without any), i set to boot to the Raptor first, it does see them in the BIOS, but it just will not boot into windows. What it will do is POST, then act like it wants to boot correctly, but then just black screen freezes after the POST till i reboot it. What am i missing here (this is my first Abit board)? My Asus board had no problems with this what-so-ever. Thanks for your help.

A couple things to check - does this happen with the storage drive disconnected? Also have you tried safe mode? Hit F8 when the BIOS screen disappears and choose safe mode.

Thanks for the fast reply. And when i unplug the IDE (as i did during Windows install) i can get into windows just fine with the Raptor. Everything runs just fine till i try to add in that IDE storage disc. The CD-ROM's (2 of them) work just great. That was done in combined mode i believe though. I'll set it to enhanced with the IDE unplugged and see what happens. Didn't try safe mode, last time i tried F8 during POST it didn't work, so i figured it was another key on the Abit.

AMD'er said:
i am currently going through the same thing....dont' know what to do

I gave up.....lol

It makes no sense cause i've used this setup on several computers, just none of which were Abit boards....so i really just can't figure it out. I'm sure someone here has an Abit that uses SATA + IDE, but they just don't see it fit to guide me in the right direction. :cry:

Back