• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help Needed For Picking MOBO and MEM

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sebastian869

Registered
Looking to build a new system from scratch would really appreciate ideas for a good mobo I would like to limit it to ASUS – Asrock – and MSI if required. I've always bought Asus mobos and love their competent tech support plus I rarely had problems. Looking to buy an i7 4790k and 780ti (though when prices drop I would like to add another TI)
Not extreme over clocker but going air so I'd be happy with 10%. What really sucks is you can't go 3.0 x16 x16 on the 1150 unless I'm mistaken and in that case plz let me know which model that is and hoping to spend 200-250 though if I can get a lot more product for a couple extra bux id be willing to do it. If possible id prefer one that has good north/south bridge cooling.
Lastly, can you please give me memory ideas for the mobo was planning to go corsair or gskill seems like they got the better stuff. Current build went from 8 to 12 and didn’t notice so I was thinking 8GB is enough if you guys think different please let me know. Planning to do a lot first person shooter, MS Flight sim which is taxing, though I also day trade so any speed advantage possible is a big deal for me.
Thanks

Just some food for thought on your build ->

- an i7 will not outperform an i5 in the applications you have listed. You can save yourself a chunk of change. Yes, even on MS flight sim, that game only uses 2 cores.

- CPU power wont help you click a button on scott trade any faster. stick with an i5.

- in my recommendation, take the money saved on getting a 4690k and ext6 (seems to be the popular mobo...) and get a good case and noctua nh-d15. An H100i cooler would be another great choice if feasible.

- 8gb of ram will be fine for all of that. ram type? Most of its made in the same places anyway... Find reviews with your given setup and check compatibility over a specific brand loyalty. For example, Kingston ram doesn't play nicely with AMD, but is fantastic in Intel's from reviews I've seen.

- pcie 3.0 x16/x8 will be just fine for SLI performance.

I use FS9 and X on a 17" laptop with a i7 4700MQ, 8gb 1600 G.Skil RAM, and a GTX 770 GPU. I've experienced no problems at all. FPS are set at 40 on both.

I'm not suggesting a Lappy, but only mention it to give you an idea of how a slower, less powerful system as compared to the ones mentioned will serve you nicely. The rig in my signature crushes both versions, but it's also overkill, too.

yeah FS is a bit out date as far as best use of hardware goes. COD is a bit more demanding but its about as much as i get a 2 card sli is enough and gonna get second when prices drop.any one know if theres anything once can do about ping in the NYC time warner HW thanks for input

Back