• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrade worth it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Trap05

So I have a Toshiba notebook I bought in February. It has the following specs:

C2D T5500 1.6
2GB DDR2 533
200GB 4200rpm sata HD
7600 go 128mb
Vista Home Premium

My question is it worth paying $233 CAD to upgrade to 2GB 667 ram to match the FSB of the CPU and a 120GB 7200rpm HD? I know the HD is probably worthwhile but for $100 and 5 min is it worth it to do the ram as well? It should be easy to sell the HD and ram on eBay or here in the classifieds and recoup at least $100 correct?

The ram speed is not worth it, but I would recommend the 250GB 5400RPM drive from WD. Just as fast as the 7200 rpm drives, but more space.

I was thinking the same myself. I was seriously considering the Seagate 7200.2 120GB drive as the 160GB is consideralbly more.

Get a better hard drive for it...I have 3gb pc5300 ddr2 ram on this Asus laptop running Vista and XP.. on XP its overkill but on Vista it helped a lot. If are running XP just get rid of some of the bloatware Toshiba preloads or do a clean reformat...bigger and faster hdd like a 7200 rpm can be a major noticable difference rather than more ram on XP

Yeah I was not pleased to find out it was 4200rpm and it runs Vista Home Premium.

So I will see no benefit from running the ram at 1:1? Or at least not $100 worth of difference?

Well you can get a ddr2 533 1GB stick of ram for $40 over at newegg (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...E&N=2010260381+1309221133+1309121113&name=1GB)... A 4200 RPM HDD is pretty damn slow when playing games and accessing programs . You can get rid most of the bloatware and usless services provided by M$ and Toshiba to give it a boost gain...2gb is enough for Vista just get a better HDD and if you have the money spend about $42 on another stick of ram

My laptop came with 1gb of ram and it really made Vista unhappy so I went and bought a 2gb stick and it feels fantastic now @ 3gb

I wasn't concerned about the amount of ram just the slower speed. I am definitely going to go ahead and shop around for a hard drive. I have already cleaned out the useless programs from loading so that's not an issue either.

Ya go ahead and shop for a HD.. no big difference between 533 and 667, that's if there is any.

Trap05 said:
I wasn't concerned about the amount of ram just the slower speed. I am definitely going to go ahead and shop around for a hard drive. I have already cleaned out the useless programs from loading so that's not an issue either.

Well damn must of read the thread wrong lol yeah its not worth the money going from pc4200 to pc5300....Its not its best to upgrade that slow HDD :beer:

My dad has a Toshiba laptop..its got a C2D at 2.0ghz, same ram ddr2 533 2gb, a 7900GS running XP and the thing has a 4200 RPM HDD.. Why in the hell did Toshiba put slower HDD inside of their gaming/entertainment laptops :bang head

Back