• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MacBook Pro Vs. Alienware.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
A frend of mine just got an ASUS LAMBORGHINI VX2S-B2B, he is a hard core gamer who has to travel for his job. And he sounds more than satisfied. I have not seen it but loking at the specs it looks impressive but I have no idea about build quality. He got it as a replacement to an Dell xps rig that died on him.........(I also would bet he got consulting firm he works for to pay for it...)
Any for who here is the link:http://usa.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=5&l2=61&l3=586&l4=0&model=1782&modelmenu=2

Don't know if you are going to play any games but even w/ windows on the mac games may or may not run, and if they do performance/visuals always take a hit. I would go for the the XPS, Alienware or something else. Your price per performance on the MBP is not that great IMHO.

That's....false. The games run, as if they would run on Windows. This is due to the fact that...you are running Windows, if you do the bootcamp install. There is no difference in it vs a PC. There is no performance hit either, and in fact many people state they seem to be getting better performance (whether that is true or not, I don't know). Now if you go on the statements of people who are doing something like running from Crossover or Parallels/Fusion, then yes, you will get decreased performance.

I've played everything from Counter-Strike:Source, to Portal, to EVE Online on mine. Granted I have a Macbook, and not a Macbook Pro, so I experienced some lag due to running an Intel graphics onboard, but even still most of the time I was able to play fine.

mbp is more expensive than most laptops, yes.

But, it is lighter, thinner, better constructed and has some very nice features such as the back lit keyboard.

If you don't mind a more plastic, bulkier laptop with less frills and features then just get a dell or whatever is on sale. If you want a nicer machine get the mbp.

And before I get jumped on this was posted from a Dell.

I was in your boat to, but i decided to just go with one strictly for school. I picked up a very nice t61 off the lenovo outlet for just under 800. They are indeed solider because they are built to be so, and have a roll cage feature.

The only laptops I've been interested in are the MBP, carbon fiber Sony's, and the rock solid thinkpads.

Thank you. That's what I try to keep telling people who think Bill Gates is the Hitler of IT. Apple is WAY worse.

Agreed. Plus their hardware support bites, and their practices are just terrible. They'll repackage known bad laptops (with stuff like dead pixels) and keep repackaging it until someone doesn't return it. They're bad.

I worked for Dell for a bit and can say that they stand by their product well. And the XPS laptops are great too. Solid, good thermal design, etc.

North Korean Apple!? Most logical informative article I've ever read- in my whole life! WOW! I'm going talk to any relatives I have in NK and tell them I know what it's like! I think they'd agree with me. I think we should have a nuclear war with Apple because what they're doing is like terrorism and dictatorship all at once with a kick in the neck. Oh yeah Sony too because my psp bricked after installing 1337 h4x and then I upgraded my firmware.

Last edited:
And given that Alienware is now owned by Dell, I'd say the choice for the OP is clear. :beer:

Not right now. Alienware, while an ok company now that Dell owns it, isn't getting enough attention IMO. Plus most of th Alienware stuff is XPSs, so if you go with dell, you get a better caibur of support. I was part of the XPS group and we learned that Dell treats them with 2 different call centers.

Don't know if you are going to play any games but even w/ windows on the mac games may or may not run, and if they do performance/visuals always take a hit. I would go for the the XPS, Alienware or something else. Your price per performance on the MBP is not that great IMHO.

When you use bootcamp it is the same as running windows natively, it takes no hit, so not sure where you got your info from.

if you run windows via say paralells (a vm) yes, performance would be decreased.

both are overpriced, the only reason to go MAC is for the OS and maybe the nice aluminum look.

A frend of mine just got an ASUS LAMBORGHINI VX2S-B2B, he is a hard core gamer who has to travel for his job. And he sounds more than satisfied. I have not seen it but loking at the specs it looks impressive but I have no idea about build quality. He got it as a replacement to an Dell xps rig that died on him.........(I also would bet he got consulting firm he works for to pay for it...)
Any for who here is the link:http://usa.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=5&l2=61&l3=586&l4=0&model=1782&modelmenu=2

Yet another overpriced laptop, your paying for a name, same as Acer ferarri line, your paying for the name, nothing else.

When you use bootcamp it is the same as running windows natively, it takes no hit, so not sure where you got your info from.

if you run windows via say paralells (a vm) yes, performance would be decreased.

both are overpriced, the only reason to go MAC is for the OS and maybe the nice aluminum look.

Ya I've been told a couple times about this. I was getting bad info from a buddy with an Intel MacBook. I have a PPC G5 so my tech is "oldskool". I take my gaming comments back, but I stand by my other comments and agree with your points on why someone would want to buy a MBP (OSX & slick, lightweight lappy).

OSX alone is totally worth the extra you pay for a Mac, IMO. I love my MBP. This is coming from a first adopter of SLI (Asus A8N-SLI, first SLI mobo ever!), first adopter of dual core (Athlon X2 4400+), etc.

If you're doing video editing, you need to be on a mac. Final Cut Pro is simply the best NLE software out there. Period.

final cut is preference, i have seen as many peoplem say they prefer other things, like adore premier (mainly due to how it integrates sio great with the entire adobe suite now)

Speaking of Final Cut Studio.. Now last time I used Premiere or After Effects I think it was about 2003. Nowadays FCS is all that AND a bag of chips. Probably one of 2 reasons why I like my PPC G5. The integration of motion gfx, audio editing, video editing, and DVD authoring (this one really kicks *** in FCS) is a must have for any pro-sumer level work. The other reason I like my G5... one step ipod video encoding :p But at home it's PC all the way :thup:

Back