• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Win7 Home Premium upgrade $30 for college students

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Does anyone know if there is a teacher discount, at all? Ive searched around for a bit, but haven't found anything. Never any love for us teachers...aside from office. yay.

I work at a local special ed private school. But not private in the sense that the owners make any money. So we pay for a lot, out of pocket. A push in the right direction would be appreciated.
my GF works at a shcool and has .EDU adress and got this to work

For Windows 7 Professional (via digital river)

Code:
http://windows7.digitalriver.com/store/mswpus/en_US/pd/productID.161678700

Login first then click this link, you'll get Win 7 professional for the same price. If you already ordered premium, call up the help number with microsoft and the guy will transfer you to digital rivier to cancel the premium and help you order the pro version.

my GF works at a shcool and has .EDU adress and got this to work

Yeah, well the only email I have is through the school district, and its isn't .edu, I'm High school, and special ed to boot.

Anyhow, I spoke with someone in the school district, and MS provides a multi-license deal, but it is still very expensive. No deals for individual teachers. They are still using XP, district wide.

Seeing as I bought a copy of Vista HP-OEM, just this spring, maybe 2-3 months before the vouchers started being included, it would be nice if MS would pony up on a discount...

Download is available. I'm at 10%. I'll post on it when i'm done. BTW i'm averaging 500kb.

Update, at 50% and must be alot more people downloading. I'm in the 200kb range now.

Last edited:
i see a potental problem here
these are upgrade versions and it doesent seem that M$ or Digital what ever seem to care that if your running Vista home premium, which alot of students are on their laptop, and you need to connect to your schools domain and you get the 7 pro upgrade....your probally not going to be able to install it.

refer to the table down on this page
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/help/performing-custom-installation-windows-7/?os=vista
You can upgrade from Vista Home/premium to Win7 pro, but it will be a clean install rather than an in place upgrade.

If you can't use the Upgrade option to upgrade to the edition of Windows 7 that you want to use, you can still use the Custom installation option. A custom installation doesn't keep any of your files, programs, or settings. For step-by-step instructions on how to perform a custom installation, see Upgrading from Windows Vista to Windows 7 (custom installation). http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/help/upgrading-from-windows-vista-to-windows-7-custom

I'm downloading the 3GB file as I type. This is the pro upgrade from digital river.

Yep. I got my download last night around midnight. Went at 4MB/sec, which is my maximum connection speed. Didn't take long at all. I'm waiting until tomorrow though when I can put it on my new SSD. :D

Got my copy downloaded, too bad they don't natively give it to you in an image format.
Yeah, I was a little disappointed with that as well. How does this method work, I've only used a disc in the past. I'm assuming you just run the .exe and it restarts your machine and installs just like a disc?

i downloaded mine today. just to be clear, i CAN install this on a blank drive using the two links posted above to make a bootable disk?

im also supposed to be getting a disc too, would i be able to do it straight off of that like a normal install cd? ....although no idea when ill get that in, i havent been notified of it getting shipped out yet

I used this method but when it verifyed at the end it said there was an error. Anyone else have this problem? I'm wondering if I should try the custom now since this is my only computer and if that install fails I will be screwed until my disc arrives.

Just wanted to say I just burned the files to a bootable DVD using the guide here http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=11194 and it worked just fine. Also this was on a reformatted drive with no version of windows on the system at all so it seemed to work just like a full retail version if anyone was still wondering.

i downloaded mine today. just to be clear, i CAN install this on a blank drive using the two links posted above to make a bootable disk?

im also supposed to be getting a disc too, would i be able to do it straight off of that like a normal install cd? ....although no idea when ill get that in, i havent been notified of it getting shipped out yet

bump for confirmation on this question

Back