• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is this overclock good i7 930 @3.8Ghz Improved temps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NiTrOwow

Hi,

So i removed the old stuff here i now have my 930 overclocked to 3.8Ghz.
Higher clocks will get to hot. I'm going to fix my temps and pump stuff higher!

Here is my comp playing Crysis Wars with 60+ fps on max with the new cpu speed:

Temps improved:

CPU paste was spread good but had air bells in it.
Reapplied the stuff:
imag01sos.jpg

imag0166.jpg

And this is the result:
84ydy.png

Still running max temps hit 65*c avg over all cores. Not above 70*c :)
Room temp: 20.3 +

Yesterday i was playing around and got some system freezes then my display driver crashed and then after 2 more crashes while watching youtube videos it got a bsod i reased the cpu voltage and now it seems to be good.
Voltage running on: 1.224v

Best Regards,
NiTrOwow

Last edited:
94C is WAY too hot. 1.42 vcore is WAY too high. By the way, it looks like you're only running 3.8GHz.

List your exact cooler, motherboard, and RAM please.

Your vcore needs to be pulled back quite a bit. Aim for 4GHZ for right now with BLCK 191, 21x Multiplier, 8x memory multiplier, and 1.3v vcore. That should be easily stable. I can get to 4GHz with my i7 930 @ 1.28v. Most get there between 1.25 and 1.3.

Try those settings and see what happens. As far as temps go:
0-70 Safe
70-80 Safe. Attempt to lower the temperature
80-90 Approaching unsafe levels
90-100 Dangerously hot

94C is WAY too hot. 1.42 vcore is WAY too high. By the way, it looks like you're only running 3.8GHz.

List your exact cooler, motherboard, and RAM please.

Your vcore needs to be pulled back quite a bit. Aim for 4GHZ for right now with BLCK 191, 21x Multiplier, 8x memory multiplier, and 1.3v vcore. That should be easily stable. I can get to 4GHz with my i7 930 @ 1.28v. Most get there between 1.25 and 1.3.

Try those settings and see what happens. As far as temps go:
0-70 Safe
70-80 Safe. Attempt to lower the temperature
80-90 Approaching unsafe levels
90-100 Dangerously hot

Yeah you were right.. It was only 3.8 i made a mistake. I tyed 4.2Ghz but it gets to hot i think it has something to do with the voltage? Idk xD

Now its running all settings at Auto only BLCK is at 181
So 181 x 22 = 3982mhz 3.89Ghz
When i do games and things temps will be fine (about 50 - 60max)
When i run prime95 on 8 cores (4 and 4 ht)
Blend mode and Small FFT will hit up to 90* (what is way to hot) i stopped the stress when i saw that.

the temps in Core temp wil jump up to 90 (dangerous)
But then when i stop Prime95 it will jump back in 2 seconds or less to 48 - 50 or lower and btw specs are in my signature.

NiTrOwow

Last edited:
What is your current vcore? More voltage-->more heat-->less lifespan.

Switch your multiplier to 21x and BLCK to 181 for now. Switch your vcore to 1.3v or +80mv if you are using dynamic vcore offset.

What is your current vcore? More voltage-->more heat-->less lifespan.

Switch your multiplier to 21x and BLCK to 181 for now. Switch your vcore to 1.3v or +80mv if you are using dynamic vcore offset.

Oke i will do that now brb rebooting..

NiTrOwow

Last edited:
I'm not sure what to do XD (I never overcloked a i7 before..)

This are the settings cpu ratio is ok but check the other picture is that right?
imag0154.jpg

imag0155.jpg

NiTrOwow

Yes, that's good.

Ok so,
CPU Voltage 1.3000
BLCK: 181
CPU Ratio: 21
DRAM Freq: under 1600 or just 1600mhz if i have any option to that and i'm done? Really thats it?

But is 1.3v not to much i see you run at 1.28v.

Btw mv thats means mirco volt? mini volt? i have no idea and i can't find it on google. Sorry for those noob questions.

Thanks a lot man!

NiTrOwow

Last edited:
Make sure your cpu voltage or vcore is 1.3v, not 3.0000 like you posted. For your DRAM, I guess that was pretty easy. 1.3v is hopefully overshooting. Run Prime95 for a few hours(i'd say around 4 hours) to check for stability. If your temperatures go above 80C, you may want to look into better cooling or backing off on your overclock. If you are stable through those 4 hours, knock your vcore down one notch. Stress test, repeat. Less voltage-->less heat-->longer lifespan.

Make sure your cpu voltage or vcore is 1.3v, not 3.0000 like you posted. For your DRAM, I guess that was pretty easy. 1.3v is hopefully overshooting. Run Prime95 for a few hours(i'd say around 4 hours) to check for stability. If your temperatures go above 80C, you may want to look into better cooling or backing off on your overclock. If you are stable through those 4 hours, knock your vcore down one notch. Stress test, repeat. Less voltage-->less heat-->longer lifespan.

Oke but i'm running now at default settings again and i did a prime95 run of 10 mintes and the temps hit like around 60 under blend more all cores at 100%

Is this any good or bad? Cuz when i appled the cpu paste it was like one big drop of that stuff on it and cooler back on it.. What is not really good at all.
For getting good temps and for overclocking etc

NiTrOwow

Updatezz:
So i played around with the settings TO MUCH..
I did some live time vcore volts tweaking with TurboV to test etc.. Got like 4 bsods so i stopped and tryed the bios and it works better of course.. So i'm running now at 3.61Ghz
21 x 172 = 3612mhz NO Intel speedstep. I have Disabled that. And uhm ow the ram is running at not 1600 what it was like by default but on 1724mhz 124mhz overclocked but the uhm voltage is way to high its 1.80v. I'm going to put it back to 1.70 since 1.64 is default 1600mhz voltage. What do you guys think of the temps to?

Screenschot:
357www.png

Thanks in advance!
NiTrOwow

Last edited:
The temps are fine. Put for voltage back down to 1.65.

Oke.. But uhm i got the voltage of the ram from TurboV what i tryed to used couple hours ago to tweak the voltage a little with..
Btw still running Prime95.. Nothing strange yet no BSOD nothing :)

The temp in my room is 21.4c

Edit: Wow crysis wars runs at 66+fps (ultra 8x aa 1080p) its like WTF BOOM! No not kidding its A LOT faster and my pc starts up in like 9 seconds now and before i was a lot slower :)

NiTrOwow

Last edited:
Automatic overclocking programs over volt. Lower your DRAM voltage to 1.65v.

Its running at 1.64v
Uhm i tryed 1.65 but then my bois will warn me like DO NOT GO ABOVE THIS AMOUNT or the cpu wil maybe damage. So i didn't go higher.

Also i have overclocked to 3.8Ghz
And it goes A LOT faster :D

Btw i never hit those high temps while playing crysis wars on max the temps will stay at 53c max so i have no problems with that.

Cpu voltage is now: 1.200v
37.png

NiTrOwow

Back