• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cryptsetup & luks

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

unijabnx2000

Am I a real member?
When it comes to encryption & LVM... would it better to encrypt the physical volumes or the logical volumes?
Or would neither have an advantage over the other?

Thanks.

When I was running LUKS on my laptop, I encrypted the second partition (first was boot). In this encrypted container was the LVM objects. I found this was much easier to setup and work with.

Fairly sure there is an advantage to it, but it has been long enough that I can't recall. Check the Arch Linux wiki; I know they go over it in painful detail.

Id assume that its best to not automount the encrypted partitions at startup?

Can you explain your setup or what you want to do? The answer varies.

Dont really have a particular scenario. Im taking redhat I and Im on the chapter about luks, and I was wondering which was preferred/recommended.

Last edited:
If you are referring to the main partition, then no, auto decrypting defeats the entire purpose of encrypting in the first place. If you had another drive that was encrypted, you could have it auto decrypt once the operating system is running. That would be ok.

HOw about this:
If you try to encrypt an extended partition(that contains one or more logical partitions) When you do the luksFormat, wouldnt that 'destroy' the logical partitions?

If you encrypt something that had data, you'd lose it, yes. LUKS doesn't convert the partition to encrypted.

So if i wanted to encrypt an extended partition; id encrypt it, open it, and then partition the mapped dev, then mkfs format that...correct?

Correct. Encrypt, open the encrypted partition, create LVM/filesystems.

Back