• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fans, Corsair Link, and Case Management Questions...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ahaas5

This will be my first desktop pc build. I've done a lot of research the last half year and these are going to be my components...

CPU i7-4770K
Cooler Corsair H100i
MB ASUS VI Hero
GPU ASUS GTX 780 DC2
RAM 16GB Corsair Platinum 1866
SSD Samsung 840 256GB
PSU Corsair AX860 or 860i??
CASE Define R4 Windowed Black
FANS 3x Corsair AF 140 Quiet Edition fans for case, 2x Corsair SP 120's for H100i

The pc will be overclocked obviously. My overall goal is to have a quiet system where the fans control themselves based on temperature. I have a couple questions about how these fans/coolers all tie together...

- I want to replace the stock H100i fans with Corsair's SP 120's so it's quieter. I've heard that replacing the stock fans, even with Corsairs can be a problem? Like if they are not PWM fans, they won't adjust RPM? Is this true?

- I want to have all 5 fans in the case (3x case AF 140 fans and 2x SP 120 fans on the H100i) run automatically and change RPM based on temperatures in the components/case. What's the best way to do this? Buy the separate Corsair Link hardware or will the H100i and/or the AX 860i handle that on its own with the included parts?

Sorry for all the questions, especially if it's an easy answer. But the more research I've google'd on it, the more confused I've gotten...

Thanks in advance for the help,
Adam

The H100i has components in the box, cabling and connectors, that allow for PWM fan management. Just hook PWM fans to them, any will do. Download the Link software from the Corsair site, no purchasing involved there. IIRC there's a CD in the box as well, I just downloaded to be sure if there were v.updates involved I got the latest. The cabling will handle four fans, and a separate connector for a PWM header on your MB. Temp management is done via a USB connector to the cold plate/pump->MB.

Your MB could probably do all the management as well through BIOS settings via you MB PWM pinouts.

IMO run the sp 120s at full load. Pwm control off. Ignore Corsair link software. Don't really need it. It's a gimmick far as I'm concerned. Just run the quiet edition versions of the fans at 100%. They're fairly quiet. I find a constant noise a lot nicer and more tolerable than fans ramping up and down all the time.

So the gpu should really only be the fans that alters their speed in your rig. Consistency.

My 2 cents.

Thanks for the help. Then do I connect the 3x AF 140's to the MB? Can Asus VI Hero handle adjusting those fans based on temp?

Really stupid question - Are Corsair AF/SP fans considered PWM? They don't list it like Noctua does...

Sorry for the dumb questions, just trying to get it straight in my head the best way to control everything based on temp and make sure it's pretty quiet at idle - considering the AX860 will have zero rpm at idle.

Corsair link is more trouble than its worth. Save the premium and get a decent air cooler, or a better AIO.

It sounds like I should just run all 5 fans through my MB and the Asus Hero software can adjust fan speed based on temp? I assume AF/SP fans will work?

Thanks

Ya they'll work that way fine. Forget Corsair link. Just more cables for no reason. Also save a few bucks by grabbing the non i model of the psu. (heck, grab the RM series psu and save a few more. Still have that silence at idle).

I find it interesting from posts above that Corsair Link is considered a pain. I find it pretty useful. When folding I click a profile for performance, when wandering the intertubes I set it on a profile for quiet. My MB would ramp similarly, so I see little difference. Except I don't have a number of extra fan wires lacing across my MB. The two dual connectors going into the pump trace up a couple of inches and route behind my MB where I connect them to fan wires = good cable management.

The Link software gives very good visibility to temps that the MB monitors as well as the pump/fluid. Seems pretty efficient and matches other temp software's readouts, so it's accurate as well, all in one graphic presentation.

I respectfully disagree with you guys that don't like it. To each their own.

Last edited:
I find it interesting from posts above that Corsair Link is considered a pain. I find it pretty useful. When folding I click a profile for performance, when wandering the intertubes I set it on a profile for quiet. My MB would ramp similarly, so I see little difference. Except I don't have a number of extra fan wires lacing across my MB. The two dual connectors going into the pump trace up a couple of inches and route behind my MB where I connect them to fan wires = good cable management.

The Link software gives very good visibility to temps that the MB monitors as well as the pump/fluid. Seems pretty efficient and matches other temp software's readouts, so it's accurate as well, all in one graphic presentation.

I respectfully disagree with you guys that don't like it. To each their own.

If and when it works the way its suppose to. Profiles half the time get messed up, fan settings change of their own volition, my LED is NEVER right after a restart, and just getting the actual pump to show up in Link is a crapshoot. Mobo recognizes it, device manager recognizes it, Corsair? Nah we are good. It's a poorly executed program that I'd avoid. THIS + coretemp, or just use BIOS to control fans = superior.

If you really think iLink is that great start googling around about problems with just getting the pump to show up in Link.

If and when it works the way its suppose to. Profiles half the time get messed up, fan settings change of their own volition, my LED is NEVER right after a restart, and just getting the actual pump to show up in Link is a crapshoot. Mobo recognizes it, device manager recognizes it, Corsair? Nah we are good. It's a poorly executed program that I'd avoid. THIS + coretemp, or just use BIOS to control fans = superior.

If you really think iLink is that great start googling around about problems with just getting the pump to show up in Link.

Luke1978, if you're trying to convince me otherwise you need to stop. It works well in my system and with very little effort on my part. That you are having difficulties, well, sorry to know that you don't have the same experience as me. But it is good that the OP is getting several different user's experiences and if he decides to give it a try, nothing lost, knowledge gained either way and will post back to share just as we have. Perhaps you may be having some frustrations based upon efforts that others have executed differently as well.:cool:

Luke1978, if you're trying to convince me otherwise you need to stop. It works well in my system and with very little effort on my part. That you are having difficulties, well, sorry to know that you don't have the same experience as me. But it is good that the OP is getting several different user's experiences and if he decides to give it a try, nothing lost, knowledge gained either way and will post back to share just as we have. Perhaps you may be having some frustrations based upon efforts that others have executed differently as well.:cool:

Don't misunderstand, mine works, exceptionally well from a cooling standpoint. Windows 8.1 requires a registry hack (for me and others), Windows 7 may or may not recognize the pump, its kind of random, if it doesn't Corsair's best fix is to try different USB headers. Even though the one it's plugged into is KNOWN to be working, not always easy in an assembled case with wires tucked away and all the internal headers populated. 50/50 chance of it working right is optimistic. And Corsair seems to have no plans of updating the firmware, since these problems have existed for years.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    72.6 KB · Views: 131
Yes, in Windows 8.1 it has something to do with corsair not supporting some type of power management that Windows implemented into USB

Attachments

• Capture2.JPG
    Capture2.JPG
    24.6 KB · Views: 125
You have:

USB
  1. South Bridge:
- Up to 12 USB 2.0/1.1 ports (6 ports on the back panel, 6 ports available through the internal USB headers)

1. VIA® VL805 chip:
- Up to 4 USB 3.0/2.0 ports (2 ports on the back panel, 2 ports available through the internal USB header)

Have you tried different USB connectors based upon two different power and chipsets? Perhaps they're also managed differently in the MB BIOS>>>just trying to think through a method to get your H100i stable. Also, I noticed that the USB ports also have the ability to charge I-stuff with some custom software. Did you install it? Could that be over/under provisioning the USB port your H100i had been connected to?

Cant use the southbridge USB3.0/2.0 ports lol, the internal header is strictly USB 3.0 physically. The on/off charge is for the USB 3.0 internal header, and the 2 USB3.0 ports on the back. It has 3 physical standard USB port headers internally. ALL 3 work ALL the time with anything BUT the Hydro USB. It is a documented problem with Windows 8.1 google link I have had little to no luck with the BETA "Fix" for 8.1 that corsair released. Seen Here I appreciate that your trying to help, but on its absolute best day, the premium saved by not getting the i version of anything Corsair has to offer is worth it. It's buggy at best, for a lot of people.

Attachments

• Capture3.JPG
    Capture3.JPG
    259.8 KB · Views: 138
Back