• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PROJECT LOG The Powerful Pretty Pink Processor (aka, "The PPPP")

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
This lil' cat keeps getting into my stuff.....

0001-_MG_0377.jpg

I didn't use much black sleeving in my last build....so this is my left over Black MDPC-X Family Pack, from the Big Budget Boomer Box materials. Perhaps I'll have a chance to use some black sleeving on this build......

Looking great so far, definitely looking forward to seeing this all come together, I spent a week looking through the BBBB build and absolutely loved it. Keep up the excellent work.

Picture time! Today we are getting another item out of our wonderful EK care package. The EK Supremacy CPU Waterblock.

0001-_MG_0403.jpg

Once again, it's a nice looking package. Maybe Aquacomputer should go visit the EK warehouse and learn how to package things up nicely. I like Aquacomputer products....but my goodness. Sometimes their products come in a box that looks like it's been used about 20 times and almost never fits what is inside the box. EK packaging is a whole different world from Aquacomputer.

Lets open up this gorgeous box.....

0002-_MG_0404.jpg

0003-_MG_0405.jpg

Underneath the layers of cardboard and protective foam....the stuff is even then packaged in little plastic bags.....

0004-_MG_0406.jpg

The waterblock itself is packaged in a plastic bag with a sticker that seals it up as the original factory packaging.....

0005-_MG_0407.jpg

Mr. Panther likes the block. I went with the "Clean CSQ Nickel" version. I like these more than the original CSQ design with the cirlces.

0006-_MG_0408.jpg

The sticker says "remove" folks. Don't be a Chesty Spankers. :p

0007-_MG_0409.jpg

The block comes with 4 different jet plates. The one installed is their generic good performer, but there are specific plates of different thicknesses and width of openings, that are tailored for particular processors. The one on the far right is for LGA2011 processors, so I'll be swapping out for that one.

0008-_MG_0415.jpg

EK even includes some Gelid Extreme TIM, which is a good TIM. Nice touch.

0009-_MG_0420.jpg

Who's that good looking kitty? Who's that good looking kitty!

0010-_MG_0412.jpg

The base is nice and polished. Very well done.....

0011-_MG_0414.jpg

0012-_MG_0416.jpg

I really like the brushed aluminum look of the EK badges, and how they have used this design element across all of their product lines. EK even threw in some extra of these little disks for me so that if I have some inspiration on how to use them.....I'll be able to. Ideas anyone?

0013-_MG_0417.jpg

0014-_MG_0418.jpg

In the picture above and below you can get a feel for the difference in the sides of the block and the top of the block. The sides of the block retain a more "frosted" appearance, while the top of the block is more "clear". Also, when you get up close on a straight-on shot...you can see the machining marks in the block still. These are on the inside of the block in the water chamber portion. The outside of the block looked nice and smooth.

0015-_MG_0419.jpg

I'll be using the "lowfat" polishing method on this thing, and will take the frosted look off the sides, and smooth out the water chamber so that this thing looks like glass. Lots more pictures of that as I start the work.....

I took the block all the way apart and this is what the cold plate looks like naked.....

0016-_MG_0421.jpg

0017-_MG_0422.jpg

Well....after all those pictures and handling of the block...I had gotten it quite dirty. So I got a little pan of water out and put the block in it so I could clean it. Suddenly, and without warning....the cooling power of the EK-Supremacy manifested itself in a shocking display of frigidness.....

0018-_MG_0428.jpg

0019-_MG_0430.jpg

0020-_MG_0431.jpg

0021-_MG_0425.jpg

:p :p :p :p This block can keep things chilly! More to come!

Looking great so far, definitely looking forward to seeing this all come together, I spent a week looking through the BBBB build and absolutely loved it. Keep up the excellent work.

It takes awhile to get through the BBBB log. :D Glad you liked persisted...and liked it. Thanks for the kind words!

I'm so sad that Facebook and the interweb will be this beast of a computers main use lol its like buying a 10k riding lawn mower to do a 2'x2' patch of grass :thup: then again excess is awesome :D
Can't wait to see this thing put together

I'm so sad that Facebook and the interweb will be this beast of a computers main use lol its like buying a 10k riding lawn mower to do a 2'x2' patch of grass :thup: then again excess is awesome :D
Can't wait to see this thing put together

Lol....I said all that a little bit tongue in cheek. We'll find a way to utilize the power of the pink monster to its fullest extent! Appreciate the kind words!

I like my martini's dirty.....but I like my blocks clean!

0024-_MG_0436.jpg

I told him that the block would help keep things chilly. He didn't really get it.....

0022-_MG_0432.jpg

0023-_MG_0433.jpg

0025-_MG_0434.jpg

I'll try and anticipate the questions before they even come.....

- Yes.....that is really gin.
- Yes.....it is a dirty martini
- No......I wasn't brave enough to drink it afterwards. But I did pour myself a fresh one.

I would do that with my water block, but you'd never see it through my beer.

Those clear tops look awesome when polished to a glass finish.

Yes they do. I've never done it myself, but lowfat has an awesome guide on it. Said it really doesn't take too long....but it's the inside of the blocks that require the most time. That's where all the machining marks really are....and the smoother you make the outside of the block, the more the machining marks on the inside of the block show up....unless you sand those down too.

His approach is to wetsand with 400, 800, 1000, 1500, 2000 and then finally use a polish on them without washing it off. I mean...wash off the inside of the block, but not the outside. His results were amazing! I'll do some pictures and maybe video as I start tackling these.....

I wanted to get a feel for my options on placing the pumps and reservoir, so I threw all the components I have so far in the case so I could get a better look.....

0005-_MG_0401.jpg

This is not the motherboard I'll be using.....this is my spare for the BBBB. But it's about the same size as the one I have my eye on. There are not many options for me on this side of the case. The cabling coming out of the PSU will take up most of the space between PSU and radiator, and I'll have some flex bay items (aquaero, card reader, etc.) in the upper flex bays on this side also.

0002-_MG_0397.jpg

That area at the front of the case on this side is where I have the most space available. I'm going to make the pink coolant the highlight of the inside, so mounting the reservoir behind that front window is definitely an option I'll consider. Putting in two pumps will require some more creativity.

0001-_MG_0394.jpg

I'll have pictures probably tomorrow of the EK pump tops I received, and they are huge. Beautiful...and huge. Much larger than the Bitspower tops I used in the BBBB. If I want to center the reservoir in the front window (and I think I do), there is no room on the midplate floor to mount both pumps. And the pump tops are so beautiful (really freakin' beautiful) that they should be displayed in a window also. I may need to build some type of vertical mount myself to put the pumps behind the reservoir, but facing the side window. They would have to be lifted off the ground and inch or two...because otherwise they would block access to the SATA ports. It would be sweet to have the bottom of the GPU cards and the two pump tops, all flowing with pink coolant, be what dominates the left side window.

0003-_MG_0398.jpg

Remember back in one of my early posts about how the dimensions of the case were important to me because of where it would be located? These two pics give a good feel for the size of the space I was dealing with, and how perfect the S8 fits that space.

0007-_MG_0402.jpg

0004-_MG_0400.jpg

Must go work on finishing the pump top pictures. I'm in love with the pump tops!

Looking wonderful cpachris

Thanks Firas! I should be through all the initial equipment gathering and photo shoots within a week...and then we can really start. :) I have another exciting sponsor announcement coming up first!

Thanks Firas! I should be through all the initial equipment gathering and photo shoots within a week...and then we can really start. :) I have another exciting sponsor announcement coming up first!

Your next Build gota be for me think about it ,, Build in the USA shipped to germany WOW :bday::bday:

subbed. love what your doing here.

TL;DR

is it breast cancer awareness month? i never knew the official month...or months of it really.

Back