• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P3v4x vs BF-6 vs sh-6

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EyeTalk2Trees

Registered
I'm rying to find a replacement for my system, I've narrowed down the selections(would take a different suggestion if you have it) to the P3v4x and the BF-6 I don't know if I should go witht he BX chipset I've heard ppl still get lots of power from them. Or stay with what just went out on me (p3v4x) The Asus board was nice but didn't read the CPu temp very well and that bothered me, also it didn't perform the wayI thought it would. A third option would be Abit's SH-6. It looks good and lots of people like it, but i didn't see it much on the CPU database for overclocking. Can someone straightn me out alittle. Basicly its all on the chipsets, Via133pro, 440bx, or 815!e. my system is in my sig. thanks for the help

I am in a similar situation right now. Both my BE6-II v2.0 and BX6R2 died. My SH6 is still running happily at 148fsb with a P3-700, I could go higher but my SCSI card doesn't like it. The SH6 is stable but it's performance is still behind the boards with the BX chipset. Somehow the latest bios does not like multiple dimms very much, if u r thinking of using 2 x 256mb above 133mhz, u may run into problems. (Note: older bios versions do not work well with the Adaptec 2940U2W)

At the moment, I have 2 very overclockable 700 slot 1 cpus so I am hunting high and low for 2 good BX- based boards. My first choice is the BE6-II but the raid version is next to impossible to find and I am not adventurous enuf to try ebay. So my options boils down to refurbished BF6, BE6II- v1.0/v1.2. I do not know much abt the BF6, but I am told it is similar to either the BE6 or BE6II (which one I am not sure). Maybe someone can shed some light on the BF6 cos I would like to learn more abt it too. I also found the Soyo 6BA+IV and Aopen AX6BC Pro II Millenium Edition (very expensive!!), both had great reviews but I am unfamiliar with these 2 boards.

Right now I am ruling out VIA133Pro based boards, I heard the P3V4X is a great board, but after my experience with the Soyo 6VCA, I dun think the effort spent on tweaking the memory and AGP performance is worth it.

I've decided to go with the SH-6...I hope the 815 chipset will give me what a I want...stability, and able to OC from 700 to 1000. Thanks for the advice.

If you are looking for info on the BF-6 check out www.anandtech.com that guy gives very detailed reviews. I thikn the BF-6 is a great board, lots of people have great sucess OC with them. I was so close to going with that one, but i just wanted to try a new chipset...Good Luck

from my experience the p3v4x is horrible........at least that's what i thought........i couldnt even get 900 from my 800eb.......i dun think it was because of my ram since i tested and it could go up to 145fsb no problem.....at last the mobo died as i flipped the voltage switch on the psu from 220v to 110v and turn on the comp

Back