• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Haswell 4770k Suddenly Running Hotter

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Legendary64

Registered
I have had my computer for shortly under one month. I have noticed while I was overclocked to 4.3GHz @ 1.23volts and was sitting at an average of 79C, recently I have begun to notice a major spike in temperature from 79C to 95C, while remaining with the same overclock settings. My room temperature has been the same for the past while already but my temperature still seems to hit the roof.

Computer Specifications:
- Intel i7 4770k Processor (Overclocked to 4.3GHz @ 1.23volts)
- MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming Motherboard
- Kingston HyperX Predator RAM
- Corsair H100i Extreme Liquid Cooler
- Coolermaster Silent Pro M2 1000w Power Supply
- Samsung 840 PRO 128GB Solid State Drive
- Western Digital Black 1TB Hard Disk Drive
- Coolermaster Storm Stryker Case
- Additional Coolermaster Excalibur Fan (mounted on bottom)

Every fan is set to intake except the two top mounted fans. Front and bottom are intake. Back and top are exhaust. The two stock case fans don't seem to push nearly as much air as the Coolermaster Excalibur or as the Corsair H100i fans.

Any suggestions to get this Haswell to run cooler would be greatly appreciated!

Note: At idle with my fans running 100% I am hitting 32C.
Different thermal paste was applied to the CPU, maybe this is the cause of my issues? I just used Coolermaster "High Performance" Thermal Compound, maybe I will give Arctic Silver a go tomorrow!

Last edited:
You could consider these 2 things to help you with the Temps etc! One is the new fans by Corsair having seen plenty of good reviews saying they are nearly on par with Noctura's fans. Two would be to order this Thermal Paste, as also it has been a top runner in the reviews i have seen. So with both you could help to bring down those Temps regards. AJ. ;) :thup:

1, http://www.corsair.com/us/cpu-cooling-kits/air-series-fans.html

2, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835426020

With the paste comes a proper applicator to apply to the CPU Socket. :attn:

Edit: On second thoughts maybe not seated properly??

Last edited:
The difference between TIM is really a couple C... nothing remotely this drastic. However, if you reapplied the paste, then your temps went up, it sounds like its not mounted properly.

My temperatures went from 79C to 95C without doing anything, I had applied the thermal paste as a replacement to the Corsair one while I was building it! I had applied the thermal paste with a credit card like tool that came with the paste, but after reading online at methods of applying thermal paste, the pea method seems to take the win by a long shot in comparison to the "Razor Blade" method.

Thanks for all the help so far you guys, greatly appreciated!

H100 are junk, like all other similar AIO ... ( sorry, i have to tell the truth. )

LOADS of people also seems to have mounting issue, you could be in this boat too. Bad contact.

Hate to say it, but is the backplate on tight? Read the other posts here that a guy used to fix his H100.

H100 are junk, like all other similar AIO ... ( sorry, i have to tell the truth. )

LOADS of people also seems to have mounting issue, you could be in this boat too. Bad contact.

My back plate is tight! Not wobbly, loose and has no play!

Okay, maybe RMA the H100, they have a pretty high RMA rate.

I don't know what else it could be.

Ohh, the software setup maybe? I know you can change modes somehow on it.

Okay, maybe RMA the H100, they have a pretty high RMA rate.

I don't know what else it could be.

Ohh, the software setup maybe? I know you can change modes somehow on it.

The software is running good! Other than the fact that the software hasn't been updated to detect all Haswell chip temperatures. When doing testing I run my radiator mounted fans on max via. the software. I can hear them spin up so I know the fans are running at full speed when I tell it to do so.

I heard ALOT of bad thing about this software too ... Seems to be really buggy...

It is extremely buggy! It sucks, as mentioned above it can't even detect my 4770k temperatures yet!

Just a thought - pump problems?

On the software, it seems to show me the speed it is rotating at (2285rpm)?

You might not have enough paste!

I know that with Arctic Silver 5, if I use less than roughly 2.5 cm, then it only spreaded to one side of the IHS!

You might not have enough paste!

I know that with Arctic Silver 5, if I use less than roughly 2.5 cm, then it only spreaded to one side of the IHS!

I think I might even have too much! I laid it out evenly on the processor and spread it with a credit card to be even. I may have to try the pea method!

I'd plug the H100 hardware "normally" and dont use the Corsair software.

What do you mean by that?

The pea method is alwais best. Spreading is crap since you end with air bullble in the paste. I alwais apply paste in a "rice grain fashion".

Try to get a simple 12v to the pump and fans, dont use the software.

I was just wondering is it loads of people have mounting issue with Haswell 1150-1155 or all CPU mounts?

Back