• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wireless Survey programs linux

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gangaskan

are there any good programs to run for doing a wireless site survey on linux? it can be either rpm based or built from source, but i need to find one!!!!

something like channelyzer or inssider would work. do they have a comparable linux source??? i know they have a osx port, but i never gauged how well it worked.

I actually use my smartphone (android) for this type functionality. Any reason it needs to be installed on a computer as opposed to a tablet/phone?

I actually use my smartphone (android) for this type functionality. Any reason it needs to be installed on a computer as opposed to a tablet/phone?

more so because i have a tougbook thats setup with straps :D

is there an android app that is free (more so free than anything, i dont want to pay if i dont have too :p) that i can use on the tablet that will not only do survey invormation, but present a detailed GPS graph of signal?

I know of no decent, free Android wifi surveyor apps, only of Windows. Could you run a VM or Wine on your latop to run the Windows app? http://www.ekahau.com/wifidesign/ekahau-heatmapper

Also, consumer GPS is very inaccurate outdoors even with the receiver "seeing" all satellites. Indoors is even worse for both commercial and consumer. Not that GPS cannot be used, but its best to use a floor map of your own making and you simply click on the screen to take a snapshot of the signal at the point on the map you are on.

I know of no decent, free Android wifi surveyor apps, only of Windows. Could you run a VM or Wine on your latop to run the Windows app? http://www.ekahau.com/wifidesign/ekahau-heatmapper

Also, consumer GPS is very inaccurate outdoors even with the receiver "seeing" all satellites. Indoors is even worse for both commercial and consumer. Not that GPS cannot be used, but its best to use a floor map of your own making and you simply click on the screen to take a snapshot of the signal at the point on the map you are on.

i forgot about ekahau! thats what i was looking for. i'll see if i can get a windows 7 lifebook to use for this one :)

Back