• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

7950 crossfire or single gtx 780

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dacuban

Registered
i got a 7950 and i was wondering if is better to crossfire or get a gtx 780 for better performance

I would go with the GTX 780 less trouble with running a single card and some games don't scale well with Crossfire.:cool::popcorn:

I would go with the GTX 780 less trouble with running a single card and some games don't scale well with Crossfire.:cool::popcorn:

I keep hearing about this scaling stuff with AMD cards, i have never had gaming issues with my 7970's in crossfire.

I will admit that the 7950 CFX vs 780 is a hard one to call, if you have 7950 and your ballin on a budget, then i see 7950 CFX as a solution, if you have that cash, and want to spend it, get 780.

If your not in a rush, oc the hell out of the 7950, and wait for the 8000 series from AMD.

Scaling is good from both camps. Each have their own weakness with scaling in some games. Never heard, until above, that amd scales worse. Would like some links to review sites on that one so I may learn...

With respect, those are terribly generic at best. One cannot extrapolate that an entire line is bad from that dual GPU card. For giggles, what do his SLI tests state? Should be the same thing as any SLI setup "requires SLI game support to reach proper performance" and "extremely fast in games that scale". That is not supporting evidence, sorry. Results showing poor scaling would be needed here.

Most important question is : What is you screen resolution ?

Then we can move on.

780 is useless on 1080, and cost too much too.

Get a second 7950, much better pick price/perf. Just hope for AMD to release good CFX drivers ....

I let go my CF 7970 on Sunday, today I'm receiving 2x 770. It was a pain for me dealing with the CF. I had multiple issues I've been reporting in different posts. It was my first time with AMD and I got motivated due to the good performance/$ ratio and benches, but FPS isn't all you need to focus in this game.

First, I had a lot of tearing and stuttering. Drivers behave weirdly some times. Had to install RadeonPro for some games to improve these issues but had to uninstall it for some others.

The other thing I didn't like is that games didn't look smooth. Fast moving situations looked like some frames were missing, all the sudden situations will look awkward.

My advise from my own experience, or do single AMD card, or go for nvidia either single or sli.

780 is not a waste on 1080p especially if you have a 120 or 144hz screen and is much better solution then SLI 670's or CF 7950.

This card is smoothest and fastest gaming experience you can buy besides titans.

780 is not a waste on 1080p especially if you have a 120 or 144hz screen and is much better solution then SLI 670's or CF 7950.

This card is smoothest and fastest gaming experience you can buy besides titans.

More or less true. Even 760 SLI could be better ... 1080p dont really need the 384bit bus and 3gb from the 780. 2gb on 256bit is enough, NM the refresh rate since higher refresh rate wont use more memory/bandwith.

But yes, a 780 is still one of the best single GPU you can get, it's just a little overprice for 1080p. Even 770 SLI could be a much much better pick at this res. ~800$ for two 770 VS 660$ for single 780 ... the SLI 770 win win all the way, still at 1080p.

The point is for me to never go CF or SLI if you dont have to CF more so, especially with slower cards. SLI 770 really isnt that much faster anyway for $150 extra.

Ok, I haven't tried it yet but from the article in guru3d, it seems that some games take big advantage with 770 sli vs 780 @1440/1600 p

Have you seen it?

Yes but we're talking 1080p

It is faster but I still would always go 1 fastest card before SLI or CF, from past experiences, I have had CF going back to 4800 series and SLI going back to 8800 series.

Well it is a 66% performance increase for 19% increase in cost. So it is a good deal...Have to take the $ out of it and look at it with percent increase. ;)

That said, for 1440p res, I still would have went with a single card as it can handle it no problem and there are no worries that come with SLI/CFx to boot.

I wonder how well these cards will OC and what would be the impact in performance. I have so many tests to do... I've been going outside several times already to see if the box is already here but nothing yet :(

Can I use precision with Gigabyte cards? If not, what software should I use? I've always owned EVGA nvidia cards so I have no clue what else is out there.

Earthdog basically said what my point was lol

you can use MSI afterburner with any card anhikilator, precision is jusy evga branded version of rivatuner basically like msi afterburner.

Back