• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Going watercooled

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JethroJay

Hey guys, I've decided to go water cooled, I've been thinking about doing it now for about 4 - 5 months and I'm gonna go for it, purely for looks but again 30% for the temp drops, I've seen quite a few setups on here, I've got an AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition.

First off, what would you guys say to cool? (Input stupid answer of everything here)

CPU is the first
Graphics card second (Asus HD Radeon 6670 1GB DDR3 Overclocked out the box)

Not sure if I can water cool my ram due to it already having heat spreaders on them (Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1333MHz)

Best Radiator (if need be one massive one or 2 medium sized ones)
Best CPU cooling block
Best GPU cooling block
Best Tubing
Best connectors
Best pump or pumps
Best liquid

Big ish water tank

Just letting you know I plan on having CLEAR tubing with food coloring in there (or something to color the water)

Anything else I need to know please enlighten me as this is the first time water cooling anything (apart from changing the cooling system on a car I'm a total D-Nut when it comes to computer cooling)

Thanks for the replies in advance

just get an xspc raystorm, just so flipping sexxy.
any 120x2 rad will do the trick.
tube, that's up to you.
about any pump will be plenty.
never bother cooling ram.

oh, ek blocks are better, but the raystorm!!!!!

first: go throught the watercooling stickies

second: need to say which case you have, otherwise we'll advise a Caselabs TX-10

third: stay far far far away from any dye/food colouring

fourth: go throught the watercooling stickies

You are going to get a lot of opinions with those open ended questions about best components. You might want to give a budget for folks to work from and explain what your goals are, short term and long term for the is water cooling system you plan on building. Do you plan on upgrading the processor or the GPU anytime soon or adding a second GPU? That kind of thing. As your system is now, a very modest water loop would do you just fine.

first: go throught the watercooling stickies

second: need to say which case you have, otherwise we'll advise a Caselabs TX-10

third: stay far far far away from any dye/food colouring

fourth: go throught the watercooling stickies

Okay that one helps and getting a new case, IF I can get round someone to get me a Thermaltake level 10 case in white then I'd more than happy have one but WAY to dear for me to buy on my own (£150 without postage)

You are going to get a lot of opinions with those open ended questions about best components. You might want to give a budget for folks to work from and explain what your goals are, short term and long term for the is water cooling system you plan on building. Do you plan on upgrading the processor or the GPU anytime soon or adding a second GPU? That kind of thing. As your system is now, a very modest water loop would do you just fine.

Nah don't plan on changing anything out as of yet, just want it water cooled and it'll defo be for the long run to keep temps down and make it look good, pretty much for all round everything....

look at the azza hurrycan, sweet!!!!!!
yea you are going to get thousands of opinions but the one that counts has allready been posted, READ THE STICKIES!!!

Before you purchase a case you need to figure out what water cooling components you will need and looking to future proof if you add more heat down the road. Than based on your gear you can figure out what case will best fit this gear. You buy a case first and than the gear can be a headache and might be forced to mod or chop up the case to make things fit. When you're done researching take a look at other water cooling build logs to get some ideas on H20 parts and cases. Don't rush this, its a hobby.

Once you're done reading the water cooling stickies, I'd than recommend on a Swiftech H220x Kit or possibly wait for the H320x kit since there's no point in water cooling the GPU but only the CPU. If you decide to buy a mid to high end GPU down the road than yes.

Take a look at the Corsair cases and Phanteks when all is said and done. Case buying should be last when you think you got a list of everything else.

Before you purchase a case you need to figure out what water cooling components you will need and looking to future proof if you add more heat down the road. Than based on your gear you can figure out what case will best fit this gear. You buy a case first and than the gear can be a headache and might be forced to mod or chop up the case to make things fit. When you're done researching take a look at other water cooling build logs to get some ideas on H20 parts and cases. Don't rush this, its a hobby.

Once you're done reading the water cooling stickies, I'd than recommend on a Swiftech H220x Kit or possibly wait for the H320x kit since there's no point in water cooling the GPU but only the CPU. If you decide to buy a mid to high end GPU down the road than yes.

Take a look at the Corsair cases and Phanteks when all is said and done. Case buying should be last when you think you got a list of everything else.

^^^this

That being said, i've got an ARC Midi, which was already W/C friendly for its size. The XL offers 360 in the roof & 240 in front without too much hassle.

You get a lot of "understated" case for the money with an ARC XL... you could do a lot worse (lotsa crappy cases outthere). :)

Then again, if you would want 4x 480 MONSTA.. then you'll need another case :)

this is advice coming from someone that cant even get a fan controller to work,,then looks into another fan controller and says ''this controller is just too complicated for me''
umm,yeah ok!:bang head

If you're gonna have a go at someone on my thread, please feel free to GTFO!

Hey guys, I've decided to go water cooled, I've been thinking about doing it now for about 4 - 5 months and I'm gonna go for it, purely for looks but again 30% for the temp drops, I've seen quite a few setups on here, I've got an AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition.

First off, what would you guys say to cool? (Input stupid answer of everything here)

CPU is the first
Graphics card second (Asus HD Radeon 6670 1GB DDR3 Overclocked out the box)

Not sure if I can water cool my ram due to it already having heat spreaders on them (Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1333MHz)

Best Radiator (if need be one massive one or 2 medium sized ones)
Best CPU cooling block
Best GPU cooling block
Best Tubing
Best connectors
Best pump or pumps
Best liquid

Big ish water tank

Just letting you know I plan on having CLEAR tubing with food coloring in there (or something to color the water)

Anything else I need to know please enlighten me as this is the first time water cooling anything (apart from changing the cooling system on a car I'm a total D-Nut when it comes to computer cooling)

Thanks for the replies in advance
im surprised it hasn't been mentioned but dye or anything used to color isn't a good idea as it will trash your loop
its best to use distilled water and use colored tubing for looks.
too much money to have algae build up in your loop

Back