• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Eheim quick disconnect

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Link works...

Never used them... but I can tell you that the Swifty's are THE ones to get. I have only used them in one build for a couple of weeks, but I have not seen a drop of water out of em. All I heard when making the decision was 'don't cheap out.. get the swiftys'.

Swiftechs or Koolances are the ones to get. I wouldn't cheap out on stuff like that, as ED acknowledged.

I ordered 2 of them to try out. Will report back later. While I agree with the do not cheap out and it is by far the best advice per usual oc forum fashion :thup:, I do not have the budget to spend $300+ on quick disconnects that will be used for <3months and then discarded.

I use these and similar fittings on fish tanks fairly often. They are much larger than unions with PC use in mind, but so far I haven't had any leak issues. They aren't designed to work with warm/hot water. So if the loop runs on the warm side, I'm not sure what to expect from them.

I use these and similar fittings on fish tanks fairly often. They are much larger than unions with PC use in mind, but so far I haven't had any leak issues. They aren't designed to work with warm/hot water. So if the loop runs on the warm side, I'm not sure what to expect from them.

Have an idea of the temperature ratings or are they even rated? Been trying to track that info down but to no avail. The loop really doesn't get warm as the water cooling is used more for "resetting" the temperate on a thermal mass. I have a more permanent setup that I will use when the real heat comes with all of the properly rated fittings.

Get the Swifty's. I use the Eheims posted in my fishtank...i would also assume they are only supposed to see a max temp of 85'F.

Haven't used the eheims but been using quick disconnects for a while. Have had perfect results with koolance's. Make sure to get the extreme flow version.

Be careful when disconnecting them. I used them on my fish tank and they do have a little water in the middle when you disconnect them. Also like many have said, they are large for inside a pc. If you really want quick disconnects then get some of the pc manufacturer style .

Are you thinking of using these in a case? I'm a huge fan of the quickies but only for open-air benching rigs where a lot of hardware is more or less constantly being swapped in and out. If I was going to use them in a case (which I haven't so far), it'd be 1 or max 2 at key spots to help with the fill/drain/etc.

Have an idea of the temperature ratings or are they even rated? Been trying to track that info down but to no avail. The loop really doesn't get warm as the water cooling is used more for "resetting" the temperate on a thermal mass. I have a more permanent setup that I will use when the real heat comes with all of the properly rated fittings.
The tubing will melt a lo-o-o-o-o-ng time before the disconnects. The koolance ones are very solid.

Are you thinking of using these in a case? I'm a huge fan of the quickies but only for open-air benching rigs where a lot of hardware is more or less constantly being swapped in and out. If I was going to use them in a case (which I haven't so far), it'd be 1 or max 2 at key spots to help with the fill/drain/etc.

The tubing will melt a lo-o-o-o-o-ng time before the disconnects. The koolance ones are very solid.

I beg to differ. I can almost guarantee these eheim fittings would melt before the tubing. Not for a PC. Its for my original cooling project for work : http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=746475

Last edited:
The ehiem's are unlikely to leak... I used some for about five or six years on a four hundred litre tank... Something you wouldn't want empty in your front room with precious live stock dead.

But if you can get dedicated for watercooling at least they factor in the correct usage. :D

Be careful when disconnecting them. I used them on my fish tank and they do have a little water in the middle when you disconnect them. Also like many have said, they are large for inside a pc. If you really want quick disconnects then get some of the pc manufacturer style .

Thanks for the heads up on what I might expect. Appreciated

The ehiem's are unlikely to leak... I used some for about five or six years on a four hundred litre tank... Something you wouldn't want empty in your front room with precious live stock dead.

But if you can get dedicated for watercooling at least they factor in the correct usage. :D

Totally agree with that statement. Unfortunately, I'm just trying to make my life easier for the next month so I can get away with spending a hundred on cheap disconnects but not triple that. First thing I did was ask for an order of the swifty's and I was turned down by the boss due to cost :bang head so I had to go cheap.

Oops....regarding melting...I was referring to the koolance parts. Solid metal with good heft to them, not plasticness.

On the leakage matter....can only speak to the current and 2 prior gens of the koolance parts. The most I ever got was 2 teeny-tiny 1/2 driplets (not really full-size droplets)....90+% of the time there's no leaked water...just takes a quick connect/disconnect movement.

If I was going to use them in a case (which I haven't so far), it'd be 1 or max 2 at key spots to help with the fill/drain/etc.

This +1 :thup:

I went from using 4 QDCs in my old loop setup to using one now, somewhat in the lowest point of the loop as a drain.

I finally got around to testing the disconnects. They seem to hold up at 35-40C for an hour or so. Haven't had leaks yet but I do get a slight amount of water when disconnecting. I would also recommend getting one size larger than I did for 1/2" tubing because I believe they are metric and are only .47" instead of true 1/2". I can trust them with my eyes on them but would not if I left them running in a PC.

Back