• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

6+2 pin pcie cable same as native 8 pin on seasonic m12?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Brando

Here's the power supply I'm looking at for a possible future hd4870x2 with oc'd nehalim quad build. The Seasonic M12 600w
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151030
The hd4870 needs an 8 pin but the m12 ps has a 6+2 pin that they started shipping later on. So the question is, is this the same as a real 8 pin pcie? It's not an adapter, it goes all the way to the modular plugin on the power supply. BUT it was originally made for a normal 6 pin pcie wire as far as I know. What say ye?

I understand how the plug works, I'm just not sure if theres a difference between this and the 8 pin on a supply that was originally made with an 8 pin in mind. I think they started shipping the 8 pin with the M12's later on.

Ok thanks I was just curious. I read that the 6 pins supply 150w and the native 8 pins do 300w so it made me wonder how an adapter could magically double the power. Still piecing together the arguments. Opinions seem to differ greatly.

From what I have read, the two additional wires are only grounds. You could fabricate this yourself if you know what you are doing.

From what I have read, the two additional wires are only grounds. You could fabricate this yourself if you know what you are doing.
what he said ^^

the extra two wires are simply grounds, check em for yourself with a DMM if your a 'need to see it with your own eyes' type of guy. if someone wants to say the native 8-pin connectors supply more power, you can believe want you want...but there is a guy that hangs out at the intersection by my place who says he is jesus christ too, has a name tag and everything :D

Kind of off topic, but my PSU, and OCZ has 2x 6 pin connectors. I can get a 6 to 8 pin connector so it would work with a GX2, correct?

Actually I think it was supposed to be 75w for 6 pins and 150 for 8 pins but I'm not claiming it's right. Just trying to be sure before I spend my hard earned money. It bothers me that there are warnings being shipped with gtx 280's telling people not to use 6 to 8 pin adapters for too long.

Back