• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thinking about going 4p...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

@md0Cer

Howdy folks,
Currently I'm running a 2p system with quad core Xeons in it and it seems to be able to turn out about 25Kppd when it is running. I saw an HP Proliant DL585 for sale for 275 and could get 4 hexa core 2.8GHz Opteron 8439's and heatsinks for about 500 bucks.

Here's the kicker though, if I do this I have to get rid of my 2p system, and being my only system I'll probably be running Windows on it. What kind of PPD do you think I can get out of 4 8439's running on Windows?
Cheers!
-0cer

Plug these numbers, (all I could find), into the FAH calculator, and see what it has to say about ppd.

Code:
Re: Frame Times on Project 2684 WUs

Postby brackney » Sun May 30, 2010 7:11 pm
Average time/frame: 00:16:07 {in hh:mm:ss}
CPU: 8439 @ 2.8 GHz
# of CPU sockets: 4
# of Physical cores: 24

# of FAH CPU processes: 23
# of FAH GPU Clients: 0

RAM GB installed: 16
RAM Type: {DDR/DDR2/DDR3} DDR2
RAM Speed: 667
OS / Linux kernel: 2.6.31-20
Running in VM: {Yes/No} No

There must be a table that included the Istanbul with -bigadv work units, but I could not find it.

I don't know this for a fact, but I was told that Socket F is a dead end for upgrades going forward, however. You need G34 or newer for that.

Bummer, just learned some bad news, according to the seller, the DL585 G2 runs on 220v only. The specs on the power supplies show that they can switch between 115 and 220, I'm hoping there are some adapter cables that will go from these special PSU's to a 115vac wall outlet.

It may not be a 400ppd beast, or have the possibility for future upgrades, but this 4p system should be quite a score considering the 275 for it +500 for CPUs and heatsinks =775 dollars not including what I can get back from selling off the 2 quad cores that already come with it. Not to mention selling my 2P system as a complete for about 400. Super stoked if I can more than quadruple my PPD for a couple hundred bucks.

I don't think you need any special adapter, just a new cable with the 115V jack. The input plug is common between 115 and 220 on psus, just make sure to flip the switch on the back of the psu.

I don't think you need any special adapter, just a new cable with the 115V jack. The input plug is common between 115 and 220 on psus, just make sure to flip the switch on the back of the psu.

Most (almost all?) PSU's nowadays are autosensing and don't even have a switch.

Back