• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

do i need a win98 boot disk (floppy)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dude2

Hey,

i have just set up my new built pc - and have set up BIOS etc etc.

I have a windows 98 cd but do i need a floppy disk for the boot process to be run because it is asking for a boot disk.

If so, i dont seem to have one, or seem to have lost it? what do i do, can i get it from the internet?

thanks

jonny

Do you mean that you are trying to install the o/s onto a blank hard drive, or do you have it installed already and need to know if you need the floppy to run the PC day to day?

If you look in your BIOS, they sometimes have a setting to allow you to boot from the CD rom, you could try this option. I'm not 100% as to whether or not 98 Cd is bootable though.

If you can use a friends PC with 98 on it you can create your own floopy boot disk.

You may just have to plug the floppy in while you do the install and then take it off again when you finish and then close up your case.

A.S

You will need a floppy disk at first. I beleive you can download one free from www.bootdisk.com. Then boot into DOS (make sure it has CDROM support) and insert your CDROM. Then:
D:
Will access the CD (assuming D: is your CDROM drive). Then do:
setup

That will start the setup program.

David

i have formatted my newer 60gb hard drive... i think,

but the setup process wont go through because my older one is having problems! - but i cant seem to format my older drive!?

how do i do this?

thankls

jonny

dude2 said:
i have formatted my newer 60gb hard drive... i think,

but the setup process wont go through because my older one is having problems! - but i cant seem to format my older drive!?

how do i do this?

thankls

jonny

Try just leaving your new one in for now and try setting up windows first.

Make sure the jumpers on the HD are set correctly.

David

Back