• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking to put a second system together CHEAP , HELP ME OUT

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cisco Kid

Well I am sick of reading, I want some feedback. I am in Canada - Vancouver to be exact, but I can have some stuff shipped to a US address and forwarded on to me cause the guy is really cool about it.

I have decided to go AMD + DDR 2700 or higher based.

System to be used by my wife, for photoshop, movie encoding and occasionally lan gaming UT against me and some video editing from our cam corder through a win TV tuner capture card. Wife has interest in this but wants her own system. System will also run codes for our dish

Items I already have

Fujitsu 5400 rpm 6.4 GB hard drive
Floppy drive
52x cd rom
cables
got a cpu cooler
tv tuner capture card

Items I need

case (will find it locally)

OEM cpu (preferably XP based not larger than 1600 or a Duron 1.2 , if price is $20+ diff b/w the 2 cpu's I will go Duron 1.1 minimum)
$70 US to spend

OEM mobo no raid , onboard lan and sound with mild oclocking features (not necessarily 1mhz increment but some adjustment) stability is KEY
$40 US

Video card (considered the Gigabye 8500) but would prefer TV out and 64 ddr if possible decent clk/mem
$60US

256 DDR Ram pc2700 if possible or pc2100 if noticeably cheaper

Power supply whatever is needed

Would appreciate all feedback

Cisco KId

Last edited:
For a budget system the best suggestion I have is to check Newegg refurbs- I believe you'll need the US connection for this.

Last I checked XP1600s were about $64 US or so, and refurb mobos from there seem to be good: I have an Epox 8KHA+, and they have many more as well :)

I'm not really into video cards so much, so I have no idea on what is in the sweet spot for prices there.

One pointer: get a decent psu unless you are a gambler! AMDs are very sensitive to low 5v lines, so money saved on other components is well spent on a good psu.

Back