• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

help! i just shocked the sh*t out of my...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
ashenfang said:

I would have to say much worse. Caps in monitors can hold upwards of 25,000 volts as well as 10-50 amps in a sudden discharge. A house hold socket is only rated at 120 volts 25 amps (rated)

Reguardless, it isn't the volts that can kill you, its the amps. It only takes .5 amps to kill you. Doesn't matter what the voltage is.

Good point. but if you hit .5 amps your body is already smoking and your blood is starting to boil and your heart already exploded. 1/10 of an amp is enough to shock your heart and stop it and kill you.

I dont mean this as a flame but just a precaution and some words to scare you. If you arnt comfortable with playing with electronics and cant identify every part with what your playing with and know how to measure the amperage and test for a charge you shouldnt be playing with it. Technically 10 AA batteries have enough amperage to slowly start cardiac arrest. All though with 10 double A batteries you have more worry with some through the radio at you thats holding them. But its just to make a point.

someone mentioned and is right that an outlet carries 120 volts and is rated from anywhere between 15-25 amps. That means anything you plug into the wall has the potential to carry 120 volts and 15-25 amps through it. And just because it is unplugged doesnt mean that it does not have a charge. IT DOES.

Advise, if you have a quezy stomach dont read past this point....

To help scare any one from doing anything stupid remember that anything plugged in can kill you. If you touch the wrong place without knowing it, even by slipping, and make the right contact you are going to complete the circuit straight from the outlet. Remember this that if you complete a circiut from an outlet or touch a high powered capicitor or transformer you will have at least 5 amps running through your body. 5 amps has enough potential power to instantly make your heart explode, flash boil your blood, collapse your brain, and start to slowly melt your skin. Your skin doesnt burn. It starts to melt. So the next time anyone decides to open a TV, computer power supply, monitor, car amp, anything of the such remember that and leave it to the people that know what there doing.

Dont meant o scare anyone but I dont want to see anyone here hurt.

Last edited:
lol yea, i posted this in a thread about building your own PSU in the PSU section:

lol reminds me of when i toured a hydroelectric damn with my class in Switzerland and the guy said in his poor english, "u cee those *points to towers with wires connected to them*
you touch them you will be vapporized, it is over a million times more than what is needed to kill you *smile*

now vee are going into zee turbbine room, anything painted orange is "hot" and will kill you if you touch it *goes into a room filled with orange paint* *i put my hands in my pocket and resist urge to touch orange paint*

i think he said something like 3 million volts they were like those rods with the rings around em kinda like in frankenstein movies. I dont remeber how many amps, but it was a 3 digit number at least, i wish i would had a bird or something to throw into it ( an already dead one of course :D).

Sorry, this thread cracks me up everytime I read it, and I read everytime posts about painting a monitor. Personally, I think this should be a sticky. This thread should also warrant the creation of a new *PERSONAL SAFTEY* section in the forums. lol.

HOLY THREAD REVIVAL, BATMAN!

I havnt gotten an email from teh forums in a long time. I get on tonite after going to the races, and theres one from a thread that I actually remember from a LONG time ago. Good job :)

necro.jpg

Kind of reminds me of Zoology when we took one of the baby mice the snake didn't eat, at zapped it with a high voltage stun gun. It was already dead, but it still exploded.

Man I first read this ages ago! Nice to see an old friend again.
I'm sure you all are familar with the term defibrillator? It's the two handed shock thing they use on tv. My point is that the heart is an electricly driven organ. A minor shock at just the wrong microsecond can disrupt the electrical rythem causing Fibrillation. The heart fails to beat, it convulses and fails to pump blood effectivly.
I have a vivid memmory of chewing on the end of a doulbe ended vacuume cleaner plug as a child. ooooooh that tingles!

Heh. When I try to think of threads that come out of OC Forums, as in what they specifically discussed, this is one of the few I remember.

Glad to see an awesome old thread alive and kicking! :)

Also, I was quite impressed to learn that a monitor could be so potentially deadly... not that I would ever open one, but still it is something interesting to know...

I just wanted to keep this thread going...

-As a broadcast engineer I've seen a lot of things, and believe it or not, this is very common.

-What a lot of people don't know is... You can completely discharge a monitor to the point you could touch it and the the threat still remains.
-If you don't break off a certain piece of glass on the tube, the tube, even sitting on the shelf not plugged in, will slowly recharge over time and actually in a couple years have enough charge to do damage again.
-Oh yeah, if you don't discharge a monitor the right way, it can implode. Seen it happen. I've also discharged several monitors and the grounded screwdriver's not a bad option if you have double insulated gloves.

-PS, I used to build up a static charge, (drag my feet over carpet repeatidly), then kiss my ex.... he he he. Just don't touch the doorknob first.

wouldnt that violate some fundimental law of physics if moniotrs recharged them selfs with out being attached to a power source

i mean i guess they could aquire static charge but it would take forever for them to match the strenth of being pluged into the wall for evern a second

i mean you would have to drag them on a shag rug for like 5 miles every day to get a decent shock

Wow thats serious, yet hilarious! And if that makes me sadistic, so be it.

Oh and it is possible to recharge something like that. Electrons can be easily transferred to certain metals, especially during the dry seasons of the year. And due to the photoelectric effect, if a high frequency light strikes a metal, an electron can be ejected. And since metals are the sort of material that electrons flow freely across, a metal can easily become charged.

Last edited:
In response to

"Just a tip to all of you on how to get seen in the ER faster. Bleed all over the front desk. I mean a lot of blood. Any time me or my family have ever done that it's always been like
"Welcome to XXXXXX ER, how can I help you?"
*pulls towel from wound and sprays blood*
Rush of white coats and gettign pached up, and fill out the paperwork later. "

That's a great theory, but it didn't work at Mesa Lutherin Hospital in Arizona. My friend got his finger cut off while checking the tension of his bike chain (never try this WHILE RIDING YOUR BIKE!). His finger was literally GONE and they made us wait for 20 minutes before we decided to pack up and go to a different hospital. Arizona hospitals are rediculous.

Anyway, glad to hear that everything is still back to normal with your arm NCBaller. I have been shocked good working on monitors, and I have seen people get hit hard as well. It's not fun.

hey ive been blown off ladders from electrical shocks............i think the landing hurt more then the shock did.....as far as gettin it from a monitor and such,hell no.....i keep my hands out of there.....i just like house current.....hurts less......hehe.

If you think Arizona hospitals are bad, try Oklahoma.. I had an allergic reaction and was seriously in trouble, and the last thing I remember before passing out was "Let's get a new nurse", and then, "Oops, I should've made sure this was saline.". Of course, it was Benadryl. Solid Benadryl. Yum.

These things are dangerous, 120v cant really kill you, but 27,000volts inside the monitor can. So be carefull, try to to touch the power cable from the monitor together, so the capacitors discharge.

Back