• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pentium D - demand based switching

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rustafur

I was over at xbit labs, reading this article write up on the upcomming Pentium D processors and something grabbed my attention, hard. I noticed that the PD 820 (the proc I'm looking at upgrading to) doesn't come with a feature called "Demand Based Switching" but the rest of the 8x0 line up does. I am not familiar with this function, but it sounds pretty important. Can anyone give me any insight as to what this feature is, and if missing it is going to cause a performance hit v.s. a processor that has this enabled? Thanks!

Uh oh

Xbit said:
For example, the MSI P4N Diamond mainboard on NVIDIA nForce4 SLI (Intel Edition) proved completely unable to work with the new dual-core Intel processor. However, ASUS P5ND2-SLI Deluxe didn’t reveal any issues when working with this CPU, so we decided to use this particular mainboard for our testing session this time.

Yikes Sent you said it... maybe it's just a driver issue though. (please oh please oh please)

Pentium D 8xx series is not very impressive, atleast not at those clocks. I'll be sticking with my P4 650 untill Intel comes out with something else.

The reason the 2.8 GHz Pentium D doesn't support the demand based switching functions is because it's default multiplier is 14. All the other Pentium's with demand based switching functions (C1E, TM2, and EIST) can drop their multi's as low as 14 to throttle their clock speed.

Back