• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Scientific computer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TyRex

For those of you that do scientific computing (CFD, monte carlo, etc...), would you prefer a dual core system or a dual CPU system?

The reason I ask is most computational simulations aren't optimized for HT or MT CPUs, so the benefit of dual core in this situation seems negligible. (If this is not so, please correct me.)

Also, if the benefits of both are high, would a dual 'dual core CPU' be worth the price increase?

Well, for applications that don't make any use of multiprocessor systems, single-core is typically faster. However, you have to consider whether or not this system will be performing any other functions than just computations. If it will not be, then single-core would probably be more advantageous...you load up your software and let it work away. If the system will be doing other work alongside its scientific workload, then you will deeply thank having that other core/CPU available.

Running multiple instances of the same software can also be a factor...that would be another vote for multicore/CPU.

I think that the dual 'dual core' CPU route is the way to go. Now the problem of finding a board that has dual socket dual core support (AMD or Intel).....and with some overclocking options

Anyone have any suggestions?

Is it possible to run a single core CPU and a dual core CPU on a board like that? that way I can run my simulations on the single core, and surf/server/WoW on the dual core

TyRex said:
Is it possible to run a single core CPU and a dual core CPU on a board like that? that way I can run my simulations on the single core, and surf/server/WoW on the dual core
Buy 2 computers :) On one computer run your simulations and on the other surf/server/wow :)

netmask said:
Buy 2 computers :) On one computer run your simulations and on the other surf/server/wow :)

that's actually what i have going right now. they take up a lot of space and a make a WHOLE lotta noise. My heater core cooling fan chews up 1.2 amps....it screams

Back