• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

USB 2.0 Problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jsbailey

Registered
Hey all,

I've been having some problems with devices plugged into USB 2.0 slots on my ASUS P67 Sabertooth Motherboard.

Issue 1:
I first noticed the issue approximately two to three months ago while playing Civ5. While playing, my mouse and keyboard suddenly stopped working. They would light up as if they were on for a split second, then shut off, and shortly thereafter reconnect and light back up. This process continuously cycled until I shut down and restarted. During the entire cycle, I never could use the mouse or keyboard. I tried changing ports to see if the port was bad to no avail.

This problem occurs relatively rarely, and seemingly only when I'm playing games (read, on a higher than normal load). I'm wondering if it's the device drivers, the motherboard itself, or the temperatures causing instability.

I checked for the latest drivers, and I think I can rule that out.
I have noticed that this issue never happens with the front USB ports on the case OR the USB 3.0 onboard slots, which I am now using for my keyboard and mouse to avoid this issue.
The only thing I haven't tried is bringing temperatures down, which I hope to alleviate soon.

Issue 2:
I also notice intermittent "lag" with my mouse. I'll be moving across the screen, and my mouse will just stop for a half a second or so.

Issue 3:
And yet another issue has started to plague me recently (since updating BIOS specifically): When I Shut Down from Windows, my PC doesn't turn off. Everything goes normally, but all the components still have power (fans are still on an running). Is there a setting in BIOS that would control this that somehow was changed during the BIOS version upgrade?

Any thoughts on what else to try? It's hard to know if/when it's been fixed, as the USB issues seem to happen fairly sparingly. The shut down issue will be easy to identify as solved.

Thanks for reading and I appreciate any help you guys can offer.

I would try uninstalling the USB drivers and reinstalling them again from drivers freshly downloaded from manufacturer web site, also reflash to an older BIOS. However, it sounds like your motherboard is going bad.

I would try uninstalling the USB drivers and reinstalling them again from drivers freshly downloaded from manufacturer web site, also reflash to an older BIOS. However, it sounds like your motherboard is going bad.

Seeing as it's an ASUS P67 Sabertooth with a 5yr warranty, I could RMA it. I might end up having to do that, but I was hoping to avoid the 2-4+ weeks without a PC. Especially with D3 right around the corner!

Thanks for the input!

I guess I forgot to mention one bit of info that led me to believe it wasn't the motherboard, and was probably more attributed to drivers and/or temperatures:

This issue happened while I was playing LoL the other night. Mouse, keyboard, and headset were all plugged into rear USB 2.0 ports. At the same time, all 3 went out. The headset was emitting very static-y sounds, but was obviously powered. The keyboard and mouse were both flashing. I was franticly trying other USB 2.0 ports. I ended up plugging my headset into the front USB 2.0 port, and it worked. I then plugged my mouse and keyboard into the rear USB 3.0 ports, and they began working again.

I suppose it's still possible that just the rear USB controller is going on the motherboard, but would this be more likely a driver issue? Any way I can tell the manufacturer of the onboard USB controller so I can uninstall the drivers and install the latest?

it sounds more like USB driver issues and USB conflicts. I had this issue happen before on a AM2 system. I uninstalled all USB drivers, shut down, disabled USB in bios. Booted up. Shut down, re-enabled them in Bios, let the drivers reinstall, then one by one plugged in my USB devices and let them reinstall, First mouse, then keyboard, web cam etc.. that fixed my issue.

it sounds more like USB driver issues and USB conflicts. I had this issue happen before on a AM2 system. I uninstalled all USB drivers, shut down, disabled USB in bios. Booted up. Shut down, re-enabled them in Bios, let the drivers reinstall, then one by one plugged in my USB devices and let them reinstall, First mouse, then keyboard, web cam etc.. that fixed my issue.

Sounds like a good idea to me. Will give it a shot this weekend.

Anyone have any ideas on the system not turning off when I shut down? It's something that happened after I updated BIOS.

Back