• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A stupid question about colored water?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pierre3400

annnnnnd it's gone
Hey guys.

I am well aware that i should by all means stay away from coloring the water in a loop.

Never the less, i want to ask the stupid question.

Would i lose performance by adding color to my loop?

No you won't, well not initially.
When you add dies & colors, it'll eventually gunk up your loop & blocks, which will lead to reduced performance and especially higher maintenance.
How much performance loss? I'll wait till the veterans show up on this thread.
If you want color, get colored tubing.
Primochill Primoflex Advanced LRT is the tubing to get right now.

No you won't, well not initially.
When you add dies & colors, it'll eventually gunk up your loop & blocks, which will lead to reduced performance and especially higher maintenance.
How much performance loss? I'll wait till the veterans show up on this thread.
If you want color, get colored tubing.
Primochill Primoflex Advanced LRT is the tubing to get right now.

I am going to use LRT, dont worry about that. Its for a small loop, that i dont mind emptying often, its by no means an everyday rig.

Reason for color is because no one makes 19/13 tube in Yellow, and the only Yellow i can find id UV crap which i dont want!

I use a little food coloring and cheap clear tube, I'm over it now due to the plastisizer leaching out and clouding the tube. I'll be going to blue lrt tube and still use food coloring to get the shade i want.
I get no performance loss that i can tell from it.

I am going to use LRT, dont worry about that. Its for a small loop, that i dont mind emptying often, its by no means an everyday rig.

Reason for color is because no one makes 19/13 tube in Yellow, and the only Yellow i can find id UV crap which i dont want!

Sounds like a plan then. I've never even heard of that tubing before, so yeah, coloring may be your only way to go. It won't be the end of the world.

I don't think you'll lose performance. More just the risk of gunking up the blocks. Worse if the pc is left off most of the time.

Personally I've run colored liquid, from EK, dyed liquid, and ethynol glycol mixtures too. Never long enough to mess up the blocks or leave lasting problems. But I moved to clear tubing and distilled water with a Silver coil. Temps didn't change all that much. I think the ethynol mix have me 1C less than regular water. The look of clear tubing and Clear water has grown on me.

There's always vinyl dye you can use to make your clear tubing pretty much any shade you want. Go outside, spray it on a rag, drag your tubing through the rag to evenly coat with dye. If you're gifted with spray can prowess, paint it directly, but be warned, it is dye. It will color anything the mist contacts. (Wear rubber gloves or be shunned at work/school!)
Tubing is vinyl...poly vinyl chloride to be specific.

Worth a try if it's not a daily rig, because colorant in the water does fade over time, no matter what shade.

Many good ideas.

I just want yellow tubes lol

there you go:
(a flashback to how things were done in the late '90s)
56314-500x500.jpg
colorful-garden-hoses.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/High-Visibility-All-Seasons-Garden-Hose-Blue/dp/B00JJU23PW

Last edited:
It will stain and lose its touch after a while unless you like having headaches and don't mind doing all the work to maintain it by all means go for it.

Back