• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

refresh rates stuck

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

(G{in}[AK)TION]

keeping the story short

i wanted 75hz so i went from dvi to VGA. got 75hz showing in catalyst control center, changed my games to 75fps in their config files, launch half life, bf4, all 60fps.

its like the only solution to getting them to run at 75fps on vsync is by using the program refresh lock.

is there anyway to get my graphics drivers running higher than 60fps when vsync is enabled? my graphics card is an AMD Radeon R9 280x.

Last edited:
My vsync locks to whatever my refresh rate is set to. Doesn't matter if I'm using 60 or 72 or 115 etc. You can try looking into the driver patcher and custom resolution utility that the people who use the overclocked Korean monitors use, that's how I get an unsupported 120hz over dvi. You shouldn't have to switch off of dvi just to get 75hz, assuming your monitor supports 75 Hz without frame skipping. What monitor do you have?

I can't find any specs that confirm or deny 1440x900 @75hz. I would just go to 120hz.net and grab the ati driver patcher and the custom resolution utility and try making a custom resolution for it. It will either work at 75hz, appear to work at 75hz but drop frames, or black screen from an out of spec input. Just don't make it the default res till you know it works. If you have the refresh rate properly set to 75hz games should run at 75hz with vsync on, not 60.

This your monitor http://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-W1952TQ-lcd-monitor ?
If so, I'm pretty confident it's only going to do 60hz like most LCDs. If that is the case, you can't set anything higher than 60 because it's not capable of doing that. Keep in mind, if it lists up to 75hz, it may be at a limited color setting, or lower resolution. For example, my monitor will do 60hz at 1920x1080, but is capable of 75hz if the resolution is limited to something like 1280x960 or if I limit it to 16 bit color.

You can pretty much guarantee that any standard LCD monitor is going to run natively at 60hz.

Last edited:
yes thats the one. it says it can do 75hz on vga and 60hz on dvi.

however, i have a favor to ask. can someone here with an AMD Radeon R9 series card and a 120hz monitor try to see if they can achieve running at 120fps with vsync on in bf4 or and gldsrc game? thanks.

i cant help but keep vsync on after trying it out. everything is so smooth and responsive but when i go back, i saw massive tearing even after removing the frame caps.

i think i found whats the real problem.

when i was looking around my monitors OSD settings, i found that it was stuck at 60hz still on vga. so i right clicked, clicked on advanced settings, and then clicked monitor. low and behold, its stuck at 60hz. i tried unticking hide refresh rates and then restarted and no dice. when i went to check the registry, i found this binary value called "bad edid".

i did a google on "bad edid" and found that this could be that the EDID in the monitor may be damaged...strange. my monitors working just fine though. only problem is that i cant get any higher than 60 hz on a monitor that is supposed to (and says so in manual) support 75hz on a VGA port and cable.

is my edid really broken? or is it something with windows 64bit?

EDIT: never mind. turns out it really is a problem with catalyst. i just tried attaching my monitor to the port of the intel graphics and i am able to ramp up to 75hz...

Last edited:
i found another setting in catalyst. i went to my vga displays, display properties and found "use EDID" under monitor attributes. i found that it was already set to 1440x900 @ 75hz but i disabled it anyway and then restarted. still refuses to show the 75hz setting...

help!?!?!?

SOLVED!

my primary card, the R9 280x by sapphire, does not support, what i personally call, TRUE VGA. its just "Fake VGA". with the AMD Radeon 7950, i was able to get the full 75hz which shows on the monitors OSD, windows monitor, and amd catalyst.

so what i did was i removed the r9 280x, insertved my 7950 as the primary card, put my r9 280x in the lower pcie slot, and now i have 75hz with the option to disable or enable crossfire however i want. at least i have 1 gpu for computing and mining with the other for gaming.

0u0 beneficial until i get my new socket 775 board in.

Back