• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need quick recommendation for a 120 hertz 1440p monitor

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mikesamo

Hello guys I am looking for a high quality reliable 27 inch 1440p screen . 75 to 120 hertz although I prefer 120 . My budget is 600 and below. Any suggestions

If you want to save a good amount, you could go with one of the Korean IPS displays. They go for around 300-400 on eBay and elsewhere and are pretty well-praised. 60hz default, OC up to 120. LG or Samsung panels.

Do you have any input requirements? That seems to be the one big caveat of the Korean displays. The only ones that reliably overclock only accept DVI-D.

Hi and thanks for replying. I prefer not to do any over clocking to the monitor. I have both dvi and hdmi . But I am looking for a 120 hertz monitor out of the box

ASUS announced this one a while back, but I don't even know if it has launched yet. It would also likely be well beyond your $600 limit.

http://rog.asus.com/296652014/news/...78q-swift-27-inch-wqhd-g-sync-gaming-monitor/

I think the holdup is there aren't any video cards out that can do 120fps @ 1440p.

At this point, you have to choose between 120hz (out of the box @ 1080p) and 1440p. I don't really think it's much of a choice. The difference in quality of a 1440p panel is much greater than the difference of 120 vs. 60hz.

If the latter is important to you, I'm afraid you're stuck at 1080p.

Edit:

Here's the ASUS at newegg. Sold out and over budget. Also, am I missing the 120hz spec or is it not listed?

If you don't want to do a Korean display, here's a refurbed ASUS 1440p (60hz) w/ hdmi within your budget.

I'm not sure the input lag on that, so you'll want to take a look at reviews. I know that's another issue with the 1440, multi-input (anything other than DVI-d) displays.

Last edited:
120Hz and 1440p is a difficult combination to come by, especially if you don't want to OC a Korean panel.

To run 1440p at 120Hz is going to take some MAJOR horsepower. If you want the resolution / workspace, I'd still look at a QNIX or Crossover Perfect Pixel 1440p monitor. If you want speed, the Acer or ASUS 144Hz 1080p models would be a lot easier to power, from a GPU perspective.

Do you guys recommend just getting a 60 hertz panel . Is 120 worth it

What games do you play? What is he refresh rate and resolution of your current monitor? What FPS do you "require" when playing games?

Battle field . Witcher . Crysis . assassins creed . those are my main games
I require a minimum of 45 fps . anything under that is too laggy . doenst matter what the max framerate is , my current monitor is 1080p 60 hertz

The reason I asked about the games is that if it was more in the vein of counter strike, where milliseconds count, it might be more critical that your response time is as low as possible (higher Hz). The games you play, which are quite similar to those I play, are more graphics-focused, in my opinion. I think, therefore, that a higher resolution monitor would be a better investment for you than one with a higher refresh rate. You're gonna notice the difference going from 1080P to 1440P a lot more than the difference of 60Hz going to 120Hz.

Now, as we've mentioned, with the overclockable Korean 1440p displays, you can kinda have the best of both (or all 3?) worlds. 1440p resolution, overclockable to at least 96Hz, and only $300-400. I more than understand hesitation to go that route, though, so leaning towards the Asus (or other) 1440p display would be more than acceptable.

Your budgetary restraints do limit you from getting a native 120Hz 1440p, however, so I would just rule that out completely from your thinking. Thus, I think you have 3 options:

-Korean 1440p 60Hz (OC'able up to 120) for ~$350
-"name" brand 1440p 60Hz (not likely OC'able) for ~$450-<your max budget>
-1080P 120/144Hz for ~$200+(?)

How hard is it to oc a Korean monitor. I am very nooby with oc . I had to post a thread here and it took a while for me to learn how to properly oc my cpu :D

Full disclosure, I haven't yet done it (just got my qnix 1440p today, though :)), but from what I've read it's quite simple. You just install an app which creates "custom" resolutions, then select those resolutions in games/Windows. It's sort of like software overclocking of PC components, I suppose. You're just telling the device what speed to run at from within Windows (as opposed to within bios).

Just as with CPU overclocking, you'll start low, maybe 75Hz, creating a custom resolution (2560x1440 @ 75Hz), then bump it up incrementally until you start seeing screen artifacting or some other indicator that you've gone beyond the limits of your display.

75 hertz is probably all I need giving the performance limitations on such a high res . I posted a thread here asking whether I should go 780 6gb sli or 780ti sli . I don't think either of them will give me 120 fps

Not with cranking on the resolution scale like you want... No way in hell. Perhaps with 2x mesa and ssao with the rest on default ultra.

75 hertz is probably all I need

I agree. I think claims of observable differences at refresh rates greater than 75Hz are highly exaggerated. If nothing else, the differences don't justify the inordinate cost.

I posted a thread here asking whether I should go 780 6gb sli or 780ti sli . I don't think either of them will give me 120 fps

@1440P, SLI 780Ti or CF 290X will both get you in the neighborhood (south, not north) of 100 FPS with just about all settings maxed out, title-depending. One of either card will give you ~60% of that.

Just an update. Received the power adapter for my monitor. Overclocking was in fact quite simple. Ran the patcher, installed the CRU app, and added the custom resolution/refresh rates. Rebooted and selected them in CCC and in game. Mine overclocked to 120Hz without issue, but I didn't really see any difference between that and 96, so I went with the latter. (In case you were wondering why 96, that's just the lowest one I saw in the guide I followed).

I'd need to go back and forth a few times to really say. Enough people say it's different that I'm sure it is slightly so. The degree of difference is assuredly debatable, however. I guess, if you can afford it, go for it, but if someone is taking money out of their GPU budget, for example, to get a monitor with a higher refresh rate, I don't think that's a wise choice.

I can say that I'm more than happy with the qnix I bought. I was fortunate and ended up only paying around $200 after all's said and done, but even if I'd had to pay $300-350, I would still say it's definitely worth it compared to other 1440p displays. As long as you can do with just DVI input (and that's sort of a big if), then you're getting a great display that can overclock to at least 96Hz. The next-lowest-priced display that offers you that will cost twice as much.

Edit: and when people say these displays "overclock to x", they should really just say "run at x". Sounds less scary ;)

Last edited:
Back