• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Unlocking the Multiplier of a PII 266MHz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kunstler17

Anybody wanna help me unleash the powah of my old PII 266MHz ? Is it done removing SMDs ? I don't have a pic of my p2, but here's the rough layout of the SMD resistors.

- ccc -
| ccccc |
| ccccc |
- ccc -

Areas marked "c" is the chip.
"-" are the horizontal resistors.
"|" are the vertical placed ones.

Some of the very early P-II's were unlocked from the factory. If you have a locked Intel CPU, nobody that we know of has figured out how to unlock it yet. Possubly you're thinking of the AMD multiplier unlocking trick and getting it mixed up with Intel.

Well I remember that it wouldn't go past 4x66 only 4x75. If I remove some resistors it could damage the cpu right ?

kunstler17 (Jun 04, 2001 06:49 a.m.):
Well I remember that it wouldn't go past 4x66 only 4x75. If I remove some resistors it could damage the cpu right ?

That's right. Don't bother, it won't be worth the risk (even for a $25 CPU).

Yes, messing with it will probably result in damaging the CPU. If the multiplier is locked at 4X (which it probably is), then the only thing you can do is raise the FSB. My old P-II 233 would run ok at 83 MHz FSB, but the cards on the PCI bus sometimes didn't like it. Without a lot of cooling mods and tweaking, 75 FSB is probably a good safe overclock for that chip.

Back