• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

IBM Deathstar Mod (56k warning)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Dude, I have some Sulfuric Acid and 5:1 MAE Acid at work that you could use to really give that DeathStar a fond farewell. This would be cool. Where do you live? I live in Vancouver, Washington so if you are close to my house we can meet up and destroy that HDD. :attn: :attn: :attn: The Acid will eat right through that thing causing it to melt and look like a blob of aluminum. :beer: :beer: :beer:

Really nice mod.... bet it must have felt great. I have two of those deathstars..... never thought about killing them again.... I'll keep mine as expensive bookends until I feel like I need to use the sledgehammer.... :D

Well, I might as well post my two cents. This stuff is pretty entertaining. So I got an IBM Travelstar that was broken, from work. I only wanted it for the magnet, so I pulled 'er apart. Took some nice pictures, then decided I wanted the platters, too, for a wall decoration. But the damn screw head (torx) is so small, I didn't have any heads for my screwdriver that would fit it. Closest thing I could find was the itty-bitty regular-head screwdriver on my multitool. So, I was working at that, and because regular is definitely not supposed to fit torx, applying a lot of pressure to keep it in the groove. So...then the bit decides to fold back into the tool on me, sending my fist crashing into the platters. Oh well...time to burn it.

travelstar1.jpg

travelstar2.jpg

I'm not entirely sure, but i think that hard drive is overheating. I'd make an immediate backup of that drive, it could fail. Sorry, don't want to scare you, but hard drive failure is to be expected unless you have sufficient cooling.

:)

Oh yeah, everyone post pics of computer bits being killed.
:p

Last edited:
My brother has a big spring-steel broadsword that he made for a medieval fair. We've destroyed many computer components with it. :D The sword probably weighs 20 pounds at least. So you can imagine what the point can do to things when you give it a good swing. Heheh.

Well, I was inspired by the Deskstar mod, I hate those things, my 10gb died a few years back.

So i decided my venerable Soundblaster Live! Value time was up. (It was already fried, don't ask :rolleyes: )

So, your average Soundblaster Live!:

1.jpg

Your average Soundblaster Live soaking in petrol:

2.jpg

Ready to be burned:

3.jpg

Your average Soundblaster Live burning away, quite dissappointing really.

4.jpg

Still burning:

5.jpg

And some more:

6.jpg

The end result, hmm, not quite right...

7.jpg

I know, stick it in the ground.

8.jpg

And take a shovel to it... What a great pic, ha ha.

9.jpg

Poor thing... The shovel stood up by itself.

10.jpg

Awww. Another mod well done.

11.jpg

For anymore mods, tips and tricks on how to get the most out of your hardware, dont hesitate to contact me.

;)

Last edited:
nice, i like it.

we got some acid at work, can't remember the exact name, but its so powerful it will eat up pennies in under an hour.

Heh, "Yeah, I'd like an RMA on this please [evil grin]". I should still have Hitachi's RMA department address, too. Had to send a 60GXP in on RMA just a couple weeks ago, ironically enough.

Ill post pics of my 40gb Deathstar. I modded it too :D. I took a little 5 pound sledge, a baseball bat, oh and a pic axe :). Ill post pics once I get my digi cam back.

Nitrogen said:
Well, I might as well post my two cents. This stuff is pretty entertaining. So I got an IBM Travelstar that was broken, from work. I only wanted it for the magnet, so I pulled 'er apart. Took some nice pictures, then decided I wanted the platters, too, for a wall decoration. But the damn screw head (torx) is so small, I didn't have any heads for my screwdriver that would fit it. Closest thing I could find was the itty-bitty regular-head screwdriver on my multitool. So, I was working at that, and because regular is definitely not supposed to fit torx, applying a lot of pressure to keep it in the groove. So...then the bit decides to fold back into the tool on me, sending my fist crashing into the platters. Oh well...time to burn it.

Rasterize the bottom picture for nice poster on your wall...

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=349470

Back