• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

S.N.D.S. Question......

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ajdedo

Hi, I've got a question.......

I bought a machine that had a Northwood 2.8 running at 3.4. When I got it, I turned it back to 2.8. And I have no idea how long it had been OC'd for.....

When I first installed an OS, It took about 5 minutes before I suddenly started getting 'Blue Screens' and 'Random Re-boots'.....

I also got error #5 whenever I ran memtest...... but the memory works fine when tested in a friends computer......

So......

1) Are these indications of S.N.D.S ???
2) Could it be something else, ie. Motherboard ???
3) And, How can I test my CPU to see if it is really dying ???

Thanks a bunch...... :)

If he could runs at 3.4 no problem and you RAM fail, then I think the Ram make the reboot. I don't think it is S.N.D.S since 2.8c is very easily OC to 3.4c without any major voltage increament anyway, most of the S.N.D.S belong to 3.0c/3.2c that overclock to the 4Ghz+ club with higher voltage. Play with your board and Ram , you should be fine.

Try to reset CMOS, put everything in default. If your board detected the chip as 2.8Ghz, then now you adjust the timings and those OC stuffs inside bios. Then do some test after windows installation.

Good luck

Personally BSOD i find results from RAM errors... dodgey CPU normally involves freezing and/or rebooting.

~t0m

funny, i find the opposite. example, if i try to run my ram at say 225mhz 2-2-2-5, with 2.5v only, it will start to load windows, then reboot as soon as it hits the desktop. 2.8v gets me there stable.

if i try to run my cpu at 3.6ghz, 300fsb, with only 1.55v, i can run around in windows fine, but as soon as i load up 3dmark, i hang hard. 1.65v, and i can bench.

i would reset the cmos, if you can't get it to run default settings that way, i would be worried. i would think it could easily be a ram timing set a little too aggressively.

Back