• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Moving from AMD to Intel, yes or no?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CordialSpam

Well I want to try out the newer Intels with HT..never had a chance to play them around, do you think it is worth it? I don't game that much anymore, only play Warcraft III and I know it does not require a good graphic card, a ti4200 will do. I decided to move from AMD to Intel because I do lots of multi-tasking so I guess HT would suit me best? Stuffs like playing Wc3 + listening to music + aim + firefox with 10 tabs + msn + yahoo + extracting and maybe ENCODING (not usually) + 5 or more other programs open. I was wondering am I going to notice any performance gain from my AMD if the Intel is clocked at 4ghz? I am thinking about selling my 6600gt, mobo, and cpu..and MAYBE ram too (DDR2). I'm just not sure it is worth a upgrade or no, and also I want to know is it better to go with DDR2 now + Pci-e? or sticks with AGP and ddr?

why not wait for Intel dual-core cpu ? you will have better results in multitasking and encoding...

a 2.5ghz A64 isnt much to scoff at
id say (going with AMD's P-rating) that that chip is comparable to a 3.5ghz P4
even though HT helps a bit with multi-tasking, it doesnt make that much of a dif
if you want to get a bit more performance though.. go ahead :)

Intel is certainly better at multi-tasking and video encoding, but I doubt you'd notice to much of a difference from what you already have. If you had a Barton, then yes, but nothing wrong with the A64 systems. We'd love to have you in the Intel flock, but realistically, you probably should save your cash and wait a bit longer before thinking of a platform change.

although, you can get a pretty nice intel setup NOW, (like a 640, pci-e, ddr2), and plan it out looking ahead.

aren't there p4 boards out now that will support the D's? if not RIGHT now, then very soon. then, a few months from now, you can sell your 6xx for a decent price, and buy a duallie. :D

i955x based chipsets will support the Pentium D. Sentential has one already (what doesn't he have?).

I moved from the A64 camp (2.4ghz Athlon64 Newcastle) to the P4 and am much more content with the performance I get. Even at comparable speeds (3.4ghz on P4), I noticed the P4 was snappier and quicker for what I work with.

In the long run it would most likly be more expencive for you to move from A64 to intel, just look at getting an X2 when they come out next mth. By the time you got a new intel cpu, ddr2, pcie gfx, and mobo your going to spend just as much as you would on a new dual core cpu that could drop right into your existing mobo. And the x2 gives similar multitasking to the p4 and p-d, IMO thats the better path.

I guess I will stay at A64 right now and wait for the new dual cores...but I am not that satistified with my multi-tasking performance..I get lag when I tried to unzip stuff and brwose at same time..also I get some general tab when tabbing out of game from windows..etc..stuff like these..

Back