• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Case mod begginners - How to start cheap

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Breadfan

Inactive Moderator
Well, I've spent alot of my time on just components rather than and case mods. Right now my plans are to upgrade my video, and perhaps audio, and probably get an IBM harddrive...aside from that, I'm waiting a little while (money for one thing :) ) before doing anything too drastic to my system. right now my GF2mx is my bottleneck, so I alleviate that and play with some new gaming power before getting bored :)

Anyway, I had enough parts around my basement to put together a meager pentium II system...300mhz CPU which has come close to 400, but seems happier at 350. Was figuring on building it out of spare parts, running it a default speed, and letting my cousin give it to his parents who are in their 70's so they can have a system to try email...apparnetly they expressed interest, but there's a chance they may never touch it :)

So all I needed was a case. Went to the computer show and ended up with a black and silver case. Figured its about time to spark up my systems look and donate my old case to the spare parts bin :)

Anyway, the case came iwth a blowhole and 80mm fan already installed, which was cool but not necessary. My final plans will be to isntall my own window and put atleast two blowholes...the window will most likey be where the current fan is, so the blowhole doesn't do much for me then, but for now, its cool.

Anyway, installed my drives and realized I had a white dvd drive, grey hp cdrw, and an offwhite floppy...all on a silver face. So, on the way home the other night, stopped by walmart and got some metallic silver paint.

while I was there, I started looking around, thinking about how I would like to put a blue neon light in for kicks, but how at 25-30 bucks I might be better off buying various cooling goodies to play with. Well, I ran across 10inch 12v neon light sticks in the automotive department for 9 bucks!!! I grabbed blue one and headed home.

I took my drive faces off and sprayed them (its pretty easy, just be careful and don't forget to pop off the clear covers for the led indicators...). While at it, I sprayed the outside case fan...figured it was free and didn't look all the decent anyway, so who cared if I broke it. Remember, to paint fans you have to take them apart...its not too hard I found out, but beware you may destroy a fan. Pop the sticker off and there is a rubber cap, pop that off and take out the retainer washers and the fan assembly should seperate from the motor. Be careful of the shaft and any parts...bigger fans have bearings/springs/etc that you may find, make sure you don't lose them, and remember where they are.
(I can go into this procedure in alot more detail if someone wants me to)

Anyway, while I was at it, I soldered my neon light to an old modex connector from a fried 40mm fan, and went to hook it all up. I realized that the light didn't fit in my case becuase it had a small circuit board that extended about 2-3 inches past the actual neon tube. So, useing wire cutters, I cut the blue plastic away, pulled the circuit board out, wrapped it in half a roll of electrical tape to insulate it, and mounted the board/swith assembly on the front of the inside of my case. I then used the supplied velcro strips to put the neon tube in. Works great, and the neon tube has a clear cover around it which retains the heat. I felt no heat from the tube, and my case temps and cpu temps did not show any rise.

So, for a little paint and a 9 dollar neon tube I'm on my way. Next I'm gonna cut a whole for a window and install plexiglas...I'm gonna buy a sheet of plexiglas and cut it myself. Will probably use bright silver self tapping screws to hold the window in (after drilling pilot holes ofcourse).

Ofcourse, I did get lucky by having a black case, but its flat black which means I could match that color very easily on my old case with just a cheap can of flat black paint...if you aren't going for a glossy look then painting your case will be easier than you might think...

Anyway, I know thats not very indepth, but just some thoughts I had after playing around the other night. I'm not a huge case modder, and there are others who know alot more than I, but I did have fun doing it, and did want to mention the cheap neon tubes at walmart...

I guess the main point is that if you are thinking of case modding but are leary of it, then don't be...its alot of fun, you can be creative, it can be cheap, but most of all, it can be alot of fun :)

Mike

Back