• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Project: Rackmount Overkill

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
how powerful were the 2 stock front fans that came with the 470? I have a 450 on the way and wondering if I should order some fans.
Which two are you talking about? Remember that mine has a row inside the case of 80mm fans that yours does not. Mine also did not come with fans up front or in the back...

Ahh I forgot that yours didn't come with front (120mm) fans. I guess I'll find out when my case arrives. Either way looking good man!

I need to get 4 38mm thick fans for the backs of these cases to move more air through it. I also need 2 120mm fans for the front, just using some Yate Loon mediums right now, barely pulling any air through the filter.

Thid, does the 470 take 4x 120? or 2x 120 & 2x 80mm?

Im interested also in your opinions of the case as well as moar pics as I want to migrate all but the gaming rig to the 470s (4220 for FS).
It has 2x 120mm and 2x 80mm (front/back). The case so far is almost exactly like the 4020, but there are some really cool things up front, but I didn't have time to take any pictures. I should today :)

More pictures since I had time. You push down on two tabs to slide out the drive bays. You can fit 5 hard drives in each cage with a 120mm fan up front.

mainsystem_openfront1.JPG

mainsystem_openfront2.JPG

mainsystem_front3.JPG

mainsystem_front4.JPG

mainsystem_inside1.JPG

mainsystem_inside2.JPG

mainsystem_inside3.JPG

mainsystem_inside4.JPG

mainsystem_inside5.JPG

The wiring is far from done. I just haven't had time to get fans in the back, get real fans up front and wire everything up manually.

lol, my rack isn't close enough to the computer room! My desktop allows me to hear while I'm at the desk!

Switched the server back to Server 2003. Being able to receive emails and notifications when my RAID fails is convenient. I learned a lot with linux, but anywhere I work is probably going to be running a Windows domain; which I have almost no experience with. Time to learn!

openmanage_raid.png

WOW that program actually does work! I played with it for a while and never got any of the agents to report.

Yes sir, about 1". Gives me a ton of room to hide cables :)

Question - is the case designed for 1" standoffs? If not I could imagine add-on card not be able to install properly into the case... I wish regular ATX cases thought of this!

BTW very sweet project and systems! :drool:

in regards to your new norco case can the drive cages be placed in the slot currently taken by the optical drives if you take off the top power switch part?

If it can then this might just be my new case if I can somehow get a third drive cage. I like the norco 4020 but its so much more expensive compared to that case and I don't really need hot swap. I know I could put a 3 5.25" to 5 3.5" there but that would cost more than the case

Last edited:
Question - is the case designed for 1" standoffs? If not I could imagine add-on card not be able to install properly into the case... I wish regular ATX cases thought of this!
Yes, it uses 1" standoffs. Addon cards fit no problem

BTW very sweet project and systems! :drool:
Thanks ;)

in regards to your new norco case can the drive cages be placed in the slot currently taken by the optical drives if you take off the top power switch part?

If it can then this might just be my new case if I can somehow get a third drive cage. I like the norco 4020 but its so much more expensive compared to that case and I don't really need hot swap. I know I could put a 3 5.25" to 5 3.5" there but that would cost more than the case
There is not enough space to fit one. I'd be surprised if a SSD would fit. If there were no brace immediately above it, you could do it.

There is not enough space to fit one. I'd be surprised if a SSD would fit. If there were no brace immediately above it, you could do it.

Really? I know on my case if I pull out the little cage that holds all the optical drives I could shove another harddrive rack in there. Of course maybe thats another difference between our two cases. @BossBorot: I have the 450 as oppossed to the 470 that thid has, may want to look into that.

Yes, it uses 1" standoffs. Addon cards fit no problem

Thanks ;)

That isn't what I was trying to ask but after reading over my post it didn't make a lot of sense so I decided to make pictures instead.

I was wondering if I could go from this:
1121901905a.jpg

to this:
changesg.jpg

provided that I buy two cases to have all of the parts.

You can do that for sure in the 450 that I have I'll wait for thid to comment on whether or not his can but I'm sure it can.

OH, interesting....

It should fit, but I'm not sure how the panel would bolt in, etc.

Back