• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED Photo of the Day

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well, I've got a couple of cool pictures from this weekend, but first is Friday's.

Went to play golf for the first time in ~2 years. Its a course called Rock Barn.
This is the view from the front of the clubhouse and one of the two clubhouses.

T3, EF-S 18-55mm, 37mm focal, f/8, 1/125 sec, ISO-200
IMG_0493_Small.jpg

T3, EF-S 18-55mm, 18mm focal, f/8, 1/160 sec, ISO-200
IMG_0495_Small.jpg

Willow Falls this morning.

60D, EF 16-35 f/2.8L @ 23mm, f/22, ISO 100, 30sec.

Super creamy water! I like the framing; I see how the zoom with the wide angle helps. Have you tried other shutter/aperture combos? I can't really tell from the web size image, but if you want to sharpen things up, it might help to open up the aperture if you can still expose long enough to blur the water. I understand that stopping down from f8 to f22 will soften the image due to diffraction.

Last edited:
Super creamy water! I like the framing; I see how the zoom with the wide angle helps. Have you tried other shutter/aperture combos? I can't really tell from the web size image, but if you want to sharpen things up, it might help to open up the aperture if you can still expose long enough to blur the water. I understand that stopping down from f8 to f22 will soften the image due to diffraction.

Thanks. You're right, in theory I should be sharpest around f/8 or f/11, but I haven't tried it there yet. I got to the location about 45 minutes later than I wanted yesterday because of heavy fog and was kind of rushed. I'll bet I wasn't there more than 10 minutes. Once the sun angle comes around to the opening, it's all over. You end up with one side super bright (I've taken enough really bad pictures there to know). The interesting thing is when DxOMark tested that lens, they found it best on a crop sensor at f/2.8 and 20mm, iirc. I'll do some playing around next weekend.

One more from there, just another angle and the last one I took. It doesn't take much to completely change a picture. This one was taken about 15 feet down and about 20 feet to the left of the first one. In some ways I like it better than the first.

60D, EF 16-35 f/2.8L @ 16mm, f/22, ISO 100, 20sec.
IMG_0025-2.jpg

Lovely long exposures DnB! I take it you were out there pre-dawn?

ATM - If you're up for some opining, the photos aren't bad, but they could have been composed a bit better. I'd have moved forward a bit to remove the parking lot from the composition, showing the course & clubhouse without pavement. It's a bit distracting and takes away from the beauty of the scene.

The sky wasn't exactly popping with color, so for instance in the first one, you could have stepped across the road onto the grass and gotten really low to use some of the immediate grass in the foreground, which leads to filling more of the frame with the scene in front of it and less with the grey sky.

Just a couple thoughts. If you want me to shut up, just say the word; I'm no pro!

ATM - If you're up for some opining, the photos aren't bad, but they could have been composed a bit better. I'd have moved forward a bit to remove the parking lot from the composition, showing the course & clubhouse without pavement. It's a bit distracting and takes away from the beauty of the scene.

The sky wasn't exactly popping with color, so for instance in the first one, you could have stepped across the road onto the grass and gotten really low to use some of the immediate grass in the foreground, which leads to filling more of the frame with the scene in front of it and less with the grey sky.

Hmm, I like your thinking. I always appreciate constructive criticism in everything I do. Its the only way I'll get better!

It would also have helped a lot to have been there about a month later on a clear day, after the Bermuda finally turned green.
The day was gorgeous for golf, but not so much for photography!

I'll definitely keep the foreground in mind more for the future!

Side note: I'll have some macro stuff for this evening as long as I remember to post it.

Lovely long exposures DnB! I take it you were out there pre-dawn?

Thanks! Not pre-dawn as I had planned in the willow falls pics. The sun was actually well above the horizon. Damn fog put me way behind. I was using 8 stops on the ND. The pic with the bridge was about 7:30 in the evening, but still using 6 stops on the ND. I had got there early and planned on staying later. Both places are within 45 minutes of me, so I go back quite often, no big deal. The ND is a handy little gadget to have! You still really have to be out at close to the right time though. Shooting at noon still won't work very well.

Edit: I think I just realized where you were going. The lighting is fairly even because both locations are well below grade, in a hole or ravine so to speak. The walls at willow falls are popular with rock climbers. The orange in the top center is back where the space opens up, so now you're seeing the sun shining on the fog. That's what makes that location difficult. When the sun gets high, it lights half the area, and leaves the other half dark. The second pic, I like the composition a little better, but you could tell the sun was starting to peek in. It gets very bright in the front left and right corners, which is the part I dislike about it.

ATM: I agree with what hokie said. We work with what we're given, so I can't really say much about the sky, except the best pics will be blue sky with clouds. Cloudless days, or completely overcast days tend not to be the best. I'm with ya... I can't wait for things to turn green!

Last edited:
Ok Guys My Racing season started today and was not thinking at all to take my camera But these are from my Little Phone ,, sorry for Quality , Tomorrow I will take my Camera with Me

xpplll.jpg

sf9paf.jpg

z77go.jpg

f1xkc3.jpg

e6t6w1.jpg

View My Video

View My Video

Please Adjust Your Volume It may be to Laud at First

Tomorrow Better Pictures I Promise Enjoy

Firas, this thread is meant to be for one or two quality photographs per post with a distinctive subject and artistic value.

If you would like, you can start a thread in the proper sub forum about your racing adventures though :)

I think he means "the big photography thread" would be a better home for this.

Nice bikes though.

I think he means "the big photography thread" would be a better home for this.

Nice bikes though.

I was more directly referring him to start a new thread for his motorsports adventures that we can follow.

"The Big Photography Thread" is mostly dedicated to work with SLR cameras, and how to better yourself in that regard.

Wow, from the depths. Very nice Blaylock!

Took some flower pics yesterday, so be prepared for a few flower posts. :p

70D, EF-S 18-55 STM, @ 55mm, f/5.6, ISO 100, 1/60 sec, flash fired

13963188635_30b0872f97_b.jpg White Mum II by hokiealumnus, on Flickr

70D, EF-S 18-55 STM, @ 55mm, f/8.0, ISO 100, 1/60 sec, flash fired

13963637964_df52669b36_b.jpg White Mum by hokiealumnus, on Flickr

Last edited:
Hokie kind of reminded me to post one of mine as well...

T3, EF-S 18-55, 18mm Focal, f/3.5, 1/50 sec, ISO-100
IMG_0502_Small.jpg

Thanks Hokie. Nice shots.

This winter has been so brutal here that I decided to go through some vacation photos to get me in the right mindset. So expect some nice weather shots from me in the near future.

The rules don't say the shots have to be from from today do they?

This winter has been so brutal here that I decided to go through some vacation photos to get me in the right mindset. So expect some nice weather shots from me in the near future.

No restriction on when they were taken at all, its meant to keep people picking their best one or two pictures out of a set and post them :)

Firas, this thread is meant to be for one or two quality photographs per post with a distinctive subject and artistic value.

If you would like, you can start a thread in the proper sub forum about your racing adventures though :)

Thank you AND SORRY Please ask any admin to remove them

ANd I will Post In the the big photography thread

Did not know that I say every one post PIC so I thought this is the right PLACE :bday::bday::bday:

Thank you AND SORRY Please ask any admin to remove them

ANd I will Post In the the big photography thread

Did not know that I say every one post PIC so I thought this is the right PLACE :bday::bday::bday:

Firas, the big photography thread is for learning how to better yourself as a photographer, not just dropping a lot of photos/videos of your motorsports outing.

As I said earlier in post #510 of this thread, please make your own thread (in the proper section) where we can follow your motocycle antics.

Thanks!
No, definitely not. You can post from recent or years ago, whatever you would like. Mine will always be new, because I'm far from perfect and try to improve every time I take the camera out. Those of you that have done this longer won't have the same skill restriction. :p

A couple more flower shots.

70D, EF-S 18-55 STM, @ 55mm, f/8.0, ISO 100, 1/60 sec, flash fired

13940087416_feb870f05f_b.jpg Yellow Mum by hokiealumnus, on Flickr

This next one I wish I had stopped down to f/8.0 so the whole flower was in focus. Live & learn.

70D, EF-S 18-55 STM, @ 55mm, f/5.6, ISO 100, 1/60 sec, flash fired

13963637914_2abcb9908e_b.jpg Green Mum by hokiealumnus, on Flickr

Firas, the big photography thread is for learning how to better yourself as a photographer, not just dropping a lot of photos/videos of your motorsports outing.

As I said earlier in post #510 of this thread, please make your own thread (in the proper section) where we can follow your motocycle antics.

Thanks will do I agree with you it would look odd if I keep Puting My Pictures in the wrong thread :thup::thup: will do ( open a thread in the Proper section )

Thanks Man

Back