• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

xbuntu vs. debian

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Adhoc

I am converting a dell dimension 8250 into a web host/ file server. Would xbuntu, debian, or unbuntu be a better choice? Any other better choices?

thanks

Last edited:
A lot of people say gentoo is the way to go. I have to say I like installing only what I want but there is a bit of a learning curve since I have only worked with debian based OS's (out side of suse)

If you want stable go with debian stable. But I think I saw your other thread. If you are managing a server you should forgo the GUI and just use all commandline. That is how 99% of servers are setup.

I am converting a dell dimension 8250 into a web host/ file server. Would xbuntu, debian, or unbuntu be a better choice? Any other better choices?

thanks

They're all Debian, but a good server contains only what it needs, so if you are comfortable with Debian and Debian-derived, install Debian Etch from a businesscard CD to keep it minimal.
A 'better choice' always comes down to human beings, not software, so you will have to try some other OS's to truly find one which fits you the best.
If it were me, I would consider:
OpenBSD- simply the most hardened, minimal, and stable server OS
Arch (I am most familiar with it, and its wiki) Also minimal and similar to BSD
Debian Etch businesscard install (huge community, lots of docs)

thanks

since they are practically the same, i would ask myself if i had any need for a gui. if you say no, go with vanilla debian etch (since all of the *buntu distros are based on debian...) it will be very stable.

if you are feeling adventurous, try gentoo :) but debian should work out of the box pretty much and it is easier to maintain if you ask me but at the same time, i love gentoo...

KISS

The more you add. The more stuff you have to worry about/secure.

Minis a a few quirks here and there. If you can do Cli in Ubuntu. You can do Debian.The repos are not the same of course. But if your crafty. You should be able to use Aptitude rather easy.

Even if you can't do CLI there are lots of tutorials on the internet and it would be a good learning curve not to use GUI...

So very true. It does not take very long to get a basic understanding how to use CLi. More than once knowing basic structure and commands helped me rescue my system.

I simply typed help or used the man(short for manual). Then got my hints to go further and actually fix the issue. It is just not about fixing the system. Having the power to simply not be fully tied to the GUI is a blessing and gives you so much power over the machine.

One funny thing I talked about CLi to a new Linux user. He was not to thrilled not using the GUI, he was not against learning the CLi. He was just so used to clicky clicking. Typing seemed to much work.. And alien.
I asked him. Do you use mail, chat and type on boards to communicate? The answer was yes.
I then mentioned why is it harder to talk to your machine in text instead of clicking.... He is now learning the basics in case the need is there.

Definitely Debian Etch. My VPS uses it. I use Ubuntu on my laptop and have played with ubuntu server install but meh, I don't want cutting edge on a server that needs to have 99% uptime.

Back