• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD Sitch

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.
savageseb said:
launch a 2.5ghz Barcelona, it should wipe its *** with xeon....
there have been no models in that range announced. the first cpus will be 1.6-2ghz.

a 2.5ghz barc MAY whip a 3ghz Xeon, but by the time a 2.5ghz barc is available, there should be 3.33ghz penryns available (and up). so they will be behind the 8-ball again.

Frodo Baggins said:
ShadowPho mentioned to me it might be some kind of bot which takes in wikipedia entries and spits out random gibberish.

Either that, or someone really, really needs a life.
:D

So these chips may be so wonderful WHEN they do come out. Do you think the 16 year old salesman at CC and BB are going to write up these equations to explain to grandpa how the AMD chip is better than the Intel?

Everyone has asked you why the AMD chip will be better but you can't seem to explain it without using big terms which are over 99.9% of the people on here.

You want a simple Q&A example? Why are kitty cats soft? Kitty cats have hair.

hUMANbEATbOX said:
there have been no models in that range announced. the first cpus will be 1.6-2ghz.

a 2.5ghz barc MAY whip a 3ghz Xeon, but by the time a 2.5ghz barc is available, there should be 3.33ghz penryns available (and up). so they will be behind the 8-ball again.

True thats AMD just isnt letting all their **** out in one tremendous blow, else intel would be dead , penryn will still hold the high end chair, but for how long? I say 1q2008 when the 2.8ghz arrive.

either have you read the roadmaps? Opterons are already available with K10 Architecture and L3 Scalability

http://www.dailytech.com/AMD+Preps+Partners+for+Barcelona+Launch/article8185.htm
you know why phenom is delaying?
cause its just soooo gooood.....

savageseb said:
you are auto convincing yourself, that you are right, while you havent proved me wrong, in a mathematical sense.
so so far, im the only one with a valid argument.

DANG! I hate it when that happens. I Autoargued with myself yesterday and it was a never-ending Linear progression of the Fibonacci sequence!

How is that going to help Hector to explain the situation to the disgruntle AMD shareholders ?

For sure if I was one of them and owned majority share after hearing with that kind of explanation, I will pull all the funds from AMD, fire Hector and replace him with Bugs Bunny and merge or sell cheaply AMD to Cartoon Network !

LilBuddy said:
Everyone has asked you why the AMD chip will be better but you can't seem to explain it without using big terms which are over 99.9% of the people on here.
The thing is that people who do get the stuff mentioned that it is complete gibberish. Frodo discredited the math and I tried to explain how it makes no sense from software/hardware design side.

bing said:
How is that going to help Hector to explain the situation to the disgruntle AMD shareholders ?

For sure if I was one of them and owned majority share after hearing with that kind of explanation, I will pull all the funds from AMD, fire Hector and replace him with Bugs Bunny and merge or sell cheaply AMD to Cartoon Network !

It isnt , and he doesn care, cause the consumer is impatient.
AMD decided their game plan a year ago, at least.

ShadowPho said:
The thing is that people who do get the stuff mentioned that it is complete gibberish. Frodo discredited the math and I tried to explain how it makes no sense from software/hardware design side.

How can you discredit math?

your software goes through a translator before it reaches Binary language that the Processor may identify.

Math is perfect logic.

savageseb said:
your software goes through a translator before it reaches Binary language that the Processor may identify.
now, now, now. What do we have here? A sentence that has randomly uppercased words? It definitely looks like you were typing them.[/irony]

The "software" does not go through a translator. Your software is already in a machine code, because it is already compiled. As for the CPU, it does not have a language that it may identify. It only responds to basic patterns of electricity (which are the opcodes of the CPU.)

And what is your exact point?

savageseb said:
How can you discredit math?

Math is perfect logic.

SOMEHOW, I am thinking that the math guru (Frodo) isn't discrediting math. I assume he would know better, haha. I have a feeling that he might be discrediting YOUR math.

eightballrj said:
SOMEHOW, I am thinking that the math guru (Frodo) isn't discrediting math. I assume he would know better, haha. I have a feeling that he might be discrediting YOUR math.

True, but while he might have tried to discredit my ARGUMENT, he was discrediting my math with no Mathematical Argument of his own, and that my freind is ilogical...

savageseb said:
True thats AMD just isnt letting all their **** out in one tremendous blow, else intel would be dead
you know why phenom is delaying?
cause its just soooo gooood.....

AMD doesn't want to drive its largest competitor out of business? Why not?

hUMANbEATbOX said:
the first cpus will be 1.6-2ghz.
Just to add a hint of viable data in this thread....

AMD is soon releasing 1.6(low TDP) to 2.4GHz X4's, AMD already demonstrated that the current X4 is capable of running on-air at 3GHz.
The new X2's will range from 1.8 - 2.6GHz.
In the fall they'll have 2.6 to 3.2GHz X4's with little increase in TDP.

Next year they'll be going for X8 45nm K10+, starting at 2GHz and shooting for 3.6GHz.
Later on, the X4's low be much lower TDP and will be more powerful with some advancements in the architecture.
I don't know anything about the future of X2.

Clock-for-clock the K10 is a nice jump in performance against the Core2 so I don't have any complaints.

P.S. I'm a 1337 C programmer.

Radical said:
AMD doesn't want to drive its largest competitor out of business? Why not?

i posted a possible reason earlier, amd is further @ R&D and does have the production ability, therefore If you are to find out in months in advance that 1 of the 2 top Desktop Processor companies in the world will have a super processor of course you would want the faster processor.
Stock Market shares would shift instantly on one side, period. Intel would be dead in no time, and AMD with a monopoly gameboard.

they would drive Intel out of the market
People read and re-read my previous posts if need be, please.

savageseb said:
i posted a possible reason earlier, amd is further @ R&D and does have the production ability, therefore If you are to find out in months in advance that 1 of the 2 top Desktop Processor companies in the world will have a super processor of course you would want the faster processor.
Stock Market shares would shift instantly on one side, period. Intel would be dead in no time, and AMD with a monopoly gameboard.

they would drive Intel out of the market
People read and re-read my previous posts if need be, please.

I'm not asking how AMD having a superior processor would drive Intel out of business, I'm asking why AMD would not want to drive Intel out of business. If you have already posted an answer to this question then please direct me to where you have.

And I disagree with the part about Intel going out of business "in no time". If AMD were to release a "super processor", Intel would do something to make sure its offerings were still attractive to its buyers - it wouldn't just give up and close its doors.

Last edited:
ShadowPho said:
Please stop with the attacks on me NOW.

After you stop calling me names then care to read my reply again. The "translator" does not rearrange data structure and bit sequences are not binary language. And the instructions for dealing with Binary are NOT in the Instruction sets.

EDIT:

Didn't I just do that and you decided to call me a moron? Go and read some about some XOR gates.
And why is Bill Gates in this?

Excuse me do you know how to read binary language?
do you know machine code?

In computer science, compilers (especially source-to-source compilers) are often called "translators".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Translator

Read a bit more about the subject then comeback.

QuietIce said:
I've picked up a little here and there over the years but for awhile there I thought I was loosing MY mind! :)
Happy to hear I haven't lost touch with reality - yet.

PS Maybe you can find a mathematical key that will help unlock M-theory - that should get you a Fields and then some ...! ;)

I wish, but Science has already been paid for, it is up to the layman to find the info and read up on it.

ps: i had enough for today, See you all later

savageseb said:
Excuse me do you know how to read binary language?
do you know machine code?

In computer science, compilers (especially source-to-source compilers) are often called "translators".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Translator

Read a bit more about the subject then comeback.
Do YOU know how to read a binary language?
Hopefully. After all, it is just a matter of saying "one" - "zero".
It is not a programming language at all.

And if you know machine code, be so kind to submit a 'hello world' source that you have written yourself.

Which is why the .exe file is already compiled, as it already went through a compiler.
Binary language is just a general term to describe a series of 1/0s.
While machine code is stored in binary, it is not a binary language. It can be simply represented in binary.
Which is then used by the CPU to channel electricity into different outputs.

Radical said:
I'm not asking how AMD having a superior processor would drive Intel out of business, I'm asking why AMD would not want to drive Intel out of business. If you have already posted an answer to this question then please direct me to where you have.

And I disagree with the part about Intel going out of business "in no time". If AMD were to release a "super processor", Intel would do something to make sure its offerings were still attractive to its buyers - it wouldn't just give up and close its doors.

you are wrong, intel has lowered prices twice already in less than 2 months.
I´m sure you know how the stock market works right?
Remember the 1929 market crash?

If you know you can drive the competitor out of the market, when the competitor has a chance of pulling back up next year, why do so?
you generate mor jobs as competition rises, you dont kill the competition.
thats why there are anti-trust laws.
Damn am i going to have to teach Economy now?
hahahaha:santa:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back