• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mouse mods

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
i changed my red led in my optical mouse with a white one. look great...... i did on a M$ mouse....... the cheap one w/o the red bottom plate....... and i spray painted it metallic blue........

How about drilling holes in the top of your mouse and then try to fit in a really small fan? It would keep you from getting sweaty hands

And when people ask, you can always brag and say it's overclocked... :D

PixelMover said:
How about drilling holes in the top of your mouse and then try to fit in a really small fan? It would keep you from getting sweaty hands

And when people ask, you can always brag and say it's overclocked... :D
Hehe. I like it. :D

Hmm.... I know they do make really small peltiers. You can get a really small fan and heatsink and have a metal mouse top so the coldness spreads across you hand. That would be great for all those hardcore gamers and web surfers. To bad it's an impossible pointless idea. But if I was bored enough I bet I would try it for laughs.

satan said:
Hmm.... I know they do make really small peltiers. You can get a really small fan and heatsink and have a metal mouse top so the coldness spreads across you hand. That would be great for all those hardcore gamers and web surfers. To bad it's an impossible pointless idea. But if I was bored enough I bet I would try it for laughs.

Oooh..you shouldn't have said that...Now i can''t stop myself from actually trying to build one of these...
I'll be off to the local version of 'radio shack' tomorrow and see what I can use.. Most likely I'll end up disasssembling several home appliances and cannibalizing them for parts...
I have a feeling I'll be sleeping on the couch after this weekend.. :p

I think I might try that as soon as my paycheck comes in. Just to say that I accualy tricked out a mouse to the extreme. Hmm. I might has to buy a used mouse for that, I don't want to mess uo my logitech optical and my old mouse barley works good. Well its off to ebay for searching for used parts. I once found a peltier hsf combo for $3. If I find some more deals like that I can have the most tricked out mouse. Hey maybe I'll write a tips and tricks for it.:D

fuzzba11, the blue LED works OK? I was going to put in a blue one and I have one laying around too. What are the specs of the blue one you put in? I have a 5v ?blue LED I beleive. Also, is that a logitech optical mouse by any chance?

satan said:
fuzzba11, the blue LED works OK? I was going to put in a blue one and I have one laying around too. What are the specs of the blue one you put in? I have a 5v ?blue LED I beleive. Also, is that a logitech optical mouse by any chance?

Yeah, works perfectly, that's a logitech iFeel mouse, btw. These specs were posted for a Intellimouse, though, but it works great so there must not be a difference. Soldering off the original LED was the hardest, since the factory solder points are TINY! You might need a second person to hold something while doing that. Here are the specs, I got mine from Radioshack(they had to look in the back for a blue one, so ask if it's not on the shelf).

LED

Specs
Forward voltage: 3.7 typ. 4.5 max
Forward Current: 20mA typ. 30mA
Brightness: 2600mcd
Viewing angle (deg): 30
Lens Color Clear
LED Size 5mm

To the people talking about a peltier cooled mouse...I don't think you're going to have any luck!!! Think about it, people have huge power supplies for these babies, I seriously doubt you'll be able to run it off a USB cable, you're gonna have to extend some wires off a molex 12V and run that along the mouse cable! Good luck and let us know if it's effective.

ya know I have an old Peltier floating around and have been thinking about building a drink cooler. Any thoughts?

Drink on

Rob

Kingslayer said:
Or you can just buy a logitech trackball like mine, they come with red led's already in them. :)

Of course, my mouse originally had a red LED, like every other optical mouse, but having a blue one (which matches your case, no less) while everyone else has a red one is awesome :D

Well..what would be really cool ( IMHO ) would if you could actually build something into your exisiting pc case where you could put in a can of coke, beer, whatever, and have it cooled there... 3 empty'5,25 ' slots should give you just enough height to make a door or something (even cooler to have it slide in and out by rebuilding an old cdrom drive...
I'll have to do some thinking as to how to build the inner works, but the plan shouldn't be too hard to realise..

get a peltier and make a little box with 3 drive bays. Now you have a mini fridge in your pc. put a video chipset cooler on the cold side to make cold air flow. Put the pelier on the door so I wont add case heat. Make sure the box in isulated and you already have no friends, you might just lose them doing something this stupid.:p Well that would be the mod of all mods, I was thinking about it all day in school. I'm lucky I don't have a full tower or I would try it.:D

loser.gif

thats what I envisioned.:cool:

Last edited:
Back