• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which came first chicken or the egg?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I think that's the southbridge.
I believe that the northbridge is in the photo that you gave us---it's directly under the large fan. It has the silver heatsink on top of it.

Best bet is to look at your mobo diagrams, these normally include information as to what chipsets are what. There will almost certainly be a flow diagram to establish chipset numbers.

Re: hi

e_8_a_y said:
i thought that silver HS was the sound onboard 6.1?

Nope--I just checked your mobo out. You have a separate chip that does your sound.
In this pic (thanks newegg!)--the chip that's underneath the silver heatsink is the northbridge. The chip that's in the bottom right hand corner is your sound chip.

hi

i have never had to deal with any on board sound before so

i only know other things for building all else i know of and play wtih regular...

yo

nice pic!!

i have ordered a chipset/vga block with my watercool kit would that fit on this north bridge then????

thx for all the help guys !!!!

hi

so would i do it in this order then and would you all agre on this?

Pump - rad - cpu - gpu - north/b

so from the oulet of the pump!

i go to rad first - cpu - gpu - north/b ???????

Yeah, you can do that.
Or, you can do this:

Pump--radiator--Y splitter.
One line goes to CPU, one line goes to GPU. From the GPU it goes into the northbridge.
From the northbridge, it goes to another Y adapter and pairs up with the CPU to go to one line, back to the pump.

Hmmm.....I dont know if that would work---I've never watercooled more than my CPU. But I would assume that it would work.

umm?

umm?

i'm getting confused here?

should it go to the cpu first from pump?

then to the rest then to the rad to cool?

from the rad to pump again so it pumps cold water?

I would put it going from the pump directly into the radiator--that way the radiator gets rid of any heat that the pump might throw into the water.
From the radiator, into everything else.

BTW--in that pic that I posted, the pump is the black block. Sorry I didn't label it. :)

Haha--someone finally noticed my sig. :D

Folding is a distributed computing program from Stanford University. It takes your unused CPU cycles and uses them to "fold" proteins--helping to look for a cure for cancer, alzheimer's, things of that nature. For more information, I suggest that you go here.
If you can't find anymore about it there, PM me and I'll tell you everything that you need to know.
PS--the mods are usually pretty strict about keeping things in the correct forums, so that question should probably have been in the "folding" forums. (the link that I gave you) Good luck!
And, if you decide to fold, fold for Team 32! (us----www.overclockers.com) :D :D

No, no! :) Sorry for the confusion!

Stanford has developed a program which actually folds the proteins. You go onto their website, and you download the program. You open the program, tell it a user name (kind of like a screen name) and if you want to fold for a team, the team number. (put in 32!!:D)
Then, you start it. It contacts stanford, gets some information about a certain protein, and starts work. Depending on what protein you get, it will take different amounts of time--sometimes up to 14 hours per protein. (that's on YOUR XP2000+. On slower processors, it'll take much longer. Especially Intels--My 1600+ can outfold an Intel 2.2GHz--they're not good at folding)

About the cycles--When your computer just......sits there doing nothing......it's just wasting electricity, basically. Even when you're doing something, most of the time it's not using all of your processor's power! When you run Folding@Home, it'll use ALL of your processor's power, unless you need it. Say---if you're not doing anything, it hogs all the power. But if you decide you want to do something, your computer takes back some of the processor's power--plenty to do whatever it needs to do, and folding gets the rest.
Good luck! :D

Re: hi

e_8_a_y said:
so would i do it in this order then and would you all agre on this?

Pump - rad - cpu - gpu - north/b

so from the oulet of the pump!

i go to rad first - cpu - gpu - north/b ???????

arg...cool them in parallel...split the flow up so that each component gets the water directly out of the rad...this is the most efficient (from a heat transfer standpoint) method. It's hard on your pump though....

Back