• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Someone needs to put this on an LN2 bench..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Negatron

Registered
Instead of using vaseline or mineral oil, or anything of that sort to keep moisture out of PC components when cooling below ambient, someone should use the newly on the market superhydrophobic polymer that goes by the brand name "NeverWet". I've been experimenting with this stuff and its hydrophobicity is unlike anything else I've ever seen before. An example; a paper towel can be made to hold water like a cup or a cotton t shirt treated with NeverWet can be submerged in chocolate sauce and come out absolutely clean. A sheet of printer paper will shed water at one degree of angle off of level. It has already been proven by multiple independent entities that electronic components which are treated properly can repel water in such a way that they can operate while fully submerged in water (and possibly even salt water)and without any other modifications. The only thing I'm not sure about is the polymers resistance to the temperatures of overclocked high performance desktop CPUs. What I do know is that if anyone tries this they should do it while taking every possible precaution against toxic gas inhalation unless they can get a couple chemists to agree that there's no possibility of toxic gasses being created when the stuff evaporates or burns because it very well could evaporate or burn from being used like this.

The possibilities for liquid cooling and other more exotic cooling are endless. This stuff might make it possible to easily build a fully solid state/fully submerged high performance machine without having to spend tens of thousands on specialized equipment. In case you are wondering, you could treat a motherboard and everything attached to it with NeverWet for around 40-60 dollars and you can buy it at Home Depot.

Back