• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Insulating for Cascade vs. SS Phase?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Hiya Witchdoctor!

Finally think I'm getting there! Hoping my insulation's good now. mive/mve/2500k/3930k all look good to roll. Have 1 maybe 2 more evenings to bench before vacation so will try to get the 3930k dialed in a bit, re-image all the os drives and start packing up stuff for the trip to your place.

Hiya Witchdoctor!

Finally think I'm getting there! Hoping my insulation's good now. mive/mve/2500k/3930k all look good to roll. Have 1 maybe 2 more evenings to bench before vacation so will try to get the 3930k dialed in a bit, re-image all the os drives and start packing up stuff for the trip to your place.

That's awesome bro,

You are way ahead of me, just got done pouring the concrete at my place. Finally can start getting stuff ready. Thinking the GTX780Ti KPE , GTX680 Lightning & a GTX460 Cyclone 256mb ...... if time permits

Looking at a 7970 Lightning I can get, but not sure if I want to shell out for it, dude wants $ 250.00 shipped, what do you think ? worth it ?

Other than that just cleaning out the garage so were not tripping over junk ...... :rofl:

Have a great vacation!!! , counting down 18 days

Attachments

• 7 19 14.png
    7 19 14.png
    106.1 KB · Views: 39
Totally psyched! $250 for a 7970 lightning sounds decent. I may bring along 1 or 2 chispycards to beat on if we have time.

Or run CFX and set records that neither company wants anything to do with :D

H Bobnova!
Yeah...I've got a pair of conformaled 7970 matrix cards for our get together. Looking to use a 5.9 2500k for old 3D's, 5.5 3930k for the newer ones...those are the fastest cpus I've got. We briefly discussed 3x or 4x CFX but we don't have enough gpu pots :/

yea, all I have is two

we will have to see if my 4770K is faster for old 3d.

It is legal to use any MB and CPU as long as the GPU is your own for 3D

think I can get 5.9 to 6.0 for 01, 03 & 05 1c2t

5.8 for Am & 06 @ 4c8t

crappy chip :cry:

the sandy may be quicker, but not sure, we can test

your 5.5Ghz 2011 will pwn all things Vantage and newer :)

Ugh...something's wrong...thinking it's most likely a pin issue :(

Board boots up and sees all the ram (which it didn't do before) but the first thing I noticed was that xmp set the ram as 9-9-9-24-1 (vs before the normal 8-8-8-24-2). Anything over 44x and the system freezes vs. before I ran it (testing) at 52x with no issue.

Suppose it might possibly be the cpu....really hope not (have a 5.4 chip as a backup if the board's actually working, though).

Will check the pins tomorrow night. It'll be the last benchy time I'll have until the 14th. Depending on what's up with the rive, will get the rex tested when I get back and try to figure out which of some is a solid q6600.

Hey...at least the cascade's working and the insulation job seems to work!

Last edited:
I'm an idiot :(

Pins all look fine but obviously forgot to clean the cpu before mounting....when I pulled it there were some slight traces of thermal paste on the bottom of the cpu.

Cleaned the cpu. Hoping everything's actually fine with the mobo and cpu but won't be able to test until I get back from vacation next Sunday. Guess we'll see then :/

Hiya Techjesse!

Yeah...that's the backup cpu...the current one should be ~100MHz faster

At this point I'll be thrilled just to get everything running properly :/

Shooting for nice boints with Witchy in a couple weeks (it'll be a blast regardless, though)...hopefully the 2x 7970 matrix cards are good overclockers... but very much looking forward to when things calm down a bit so I can get some decent subs in for the team cup (I know I've got a q6600 that should do well and have a bunch of others to attempt).

Once things really slow down (Sep/Oct?)...thinking of splitting time between 775 2D's and 2500k/3930k with boatloads of vgas for 3D's. Really itching to run the single vgas under cascade with the 2500/3930 under ss...just need to figure out how to mount the evap to the vgas.

Getting my first ln2 experience with Witchy. If I add another cooling type, will go ln2 as the cascade runs colder than dice anyway.

Trying to resist that urge for now, though.

I can't wait!! Will certainly do whatever I can.

Based on everything I've learned in this thread....thinking of writing up an insulation guide for us (most of the pic links in the other insulation thread are dead). Will wait until I can test everything and see how long a run my current insulating method can stand up. Would really like to get it to the point where 5-8 hour runs are a non-issue. Not sure if it's really feasible but we'll see.

Back