• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Did I put too much iodine?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Raizy

approx. 1000 mL Distilled water
approx. 100 mL Antifreeze
approx. 3-5 mL of Iodine (man it was a ***** and spilled a little bit all over the place including my fingers)...weird smell..made my head feel funny.

That is about 90/9.5/0.5 percentage ratio of water/af/iodine. My water is turned from yellow to brownish red lol... If I do put too much iodine, lets say at the most sever uneducated case -- someone put's 10% iodine into their mixture. What kind of damage will it do to the tubing and other parts ?

**Also how much Isopropyl alcohol must be in the mixture for it to damage the tubing and other plastics? I used iodine tincture 2.5% and it's mixed with Isopropyl alcohol...**

The mixture in pic has not been shaked yet, but the iodine in a clump at the top of the bottle.

Attachments

• coolant mixture.JPG
    coolant mixture.JPG
    37.7 KB · Views: 226
Ehhhhhhhhhhhh

Well... technically you dont even need iodine, not sure how this whole iodine fad came to be...

However since you are obviously going to use it, I think you used way too much.. Only a few drops are needed and the water color shouldnt change that much at all..

Hmm, so what happens if there is too much iodine ? WIll my tubing get corroded or something ?

Bah forget it... I'll just re-mix except this time like... 0.001% iodine in te mixture :D

Last edited:
it will stain your tubes that color if you ever handled PURE iodine (flakes) they will stain anything they are in every year my chem/phys teacher puts a new ziplock bag over the old ones and the bottle containing it

well.... he took the bottle out to show us the flakes and he forgot to use gloves now he has a a nasty yellow/brown stain on his fingers and it will never go away same as the stain on the floor when he dropped the bottle and the iodine flakes went everywhere lol

so in closing it should not (you can correct me on this) corrode your blocks and tubing but you dont need to use iodine just use tygon tubing

EmAn said:
it will stain your tubes that color if you ever handled PURE iodine (flakes) they will stain anything they are in every year my chem/phys teacher puts a new ziplock bag over the old ones and the bottle containing it

well.... he took the bottle out to show us the flakes and he forgot to use gloves now he has a a nasty yellow/brown stain on his fingers and it will never go away same as the stain on the floor when he dropped the bottle and the iodine flakes went everywhere lol

so in closing it should not (you can correct me on this) corrode your blocks and tubing but you dont need to use iodine just use tygon tubing
You mean Silver tubing right ? =)

Isopropyl isnt the best thing for a h20 loop as it will degrade the tubing over time as well as o-rings .

Ehh.. well the iodine I have has isopropyl alcohol in it.. It's a tincture iodine 2.5%. Help me out guys lol...

BTW -- mods should please move this to the water cooling section... not sure why I posted this here :p

k k I re-mixed 2 bottles each with 250 mL water and 25 mL AF, how much iodine ??

Last edited:
khriez said:
approx. 1000 mL Distilled water
approx. 100 mL Antifreeze
approx. 3-5 mL of Iodine (man it was a ***** and spilled a little bit all over the place including my fingers)...weird smell..made my head feel funny.

That is about 90/9.5/0.5 percentage ratio of water/af/iodine. My water is turned from yellow to brownish red lol... If I do put too much iodine, lets say at the most sever uneducated case -- someone put's 10% iodine into their mixture. What kind of damage will it do to the tubing and other parts ?

**Also how much Isopropyl alcohol must be in the mixture for it to damage the tubing and other plastics? I used iodine tincture 2.5% and it's mixed with Isopropyl alcohol...**

The mixture in pic has not been shaked yet, but the iodine in a clump at the top of the bottle.

CGR said:
Only a few drops are needed

||Console|| said:
You mean Silver tubing right ? =)

Actually i was thinking of the clear tubing but i believe if you have silver tubing then no light = no growth so yea it should all work out in the end

just no isopropyl or iodine as it is not needed and may damage your system

EmAn said:
just no isopropyl or iodine as it is not needed and may damage your system

But a few drops won't damage anything right?

Last edited:
khriez said:
But a few drops won't damage anything right? Like.. comparing AGP 4x and 8x :D Difference is miniscule.

But as long as you put some in, it will still react with the seals and tubing. Yes, it will be slower, but the process is still happening.

khriez said:
.......time to re-mix again. :bang head

Lol, I actually mix mine when I fill, meaning, I don't measure anything out. I just put in some water to start filling (and test for leaks, no iodine or radiator fluid leaks, dealt with that :rolleyes:). If there are no leaks, I fill the rest with radiator fluid (not much) and then a few drops of iodine.

Yeah you need to get out of the idea of thinking of iodine and algaecide in terms of percentages. These are minor, minor additives. When filling from T, I use a graduated cylinder and I fill 95% of it up with distilled and 5% with pentosin, and to the cylinder I add 2 drops of algaecide and 5 drops of iodine. I pour that in, and then I fill up the cylinder again with distilled 95% and pentosin 5%, no algaecide or iodine. I repeat this second mix until the loop is full and continue to fill in this manner as bleeding drains the T. The addition of these things should be completely unnoticeable, and they will blend with the total volume of the loop as you fill and as the pump agitates the mixture.

It works extremely well in killing bacteria in the loop, but is not as effective against algae, which is why you use it in combination with an algaecide.

you know i would figure if you would put anti-freeze into you loop then you shouldn't need either of them... why??? because anti-freeze is a toxin

Yep I also thought if there was anti freeze then you're set. Apparently people here say AF is not really that good at killing algae and bacteria (correct me). :(

You are correct sir.

hartman.mcmahon.jpg

Last edited:
Back