• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AS5 on actual CPU, ok?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

^wargod

I was putting my SLK-900 on with some AS3, and when i was re-seating my heatsink, i noticed the AS5 seeped off the die onto the actual CPU, is this ok? it kinda looks like a grey stain on the actual CPU, and if this is bad is there a way to clean it? just wondering before i put my rig back together.

AS5 is conductive i heard. If it touches any of the L bridges or something else, it will conduct and short cuircuit the cpu causing cpu fail immediately when you turn it on.
AS3 isnt conductive i heard. Iam not sure 100% sorry
Hope this helps :)

it doesnt touch any of the bridges, just maybe, a little 1-2mm part of the top of the CPU on the side of the die

I would be worried because personally i think its conductive, even a small pint on the L bridges would shortit. And when it heats up, the AS5 turns into a liquid to transfer heat...
This is all based on my Theories which havent been tested.

hmm, well i hear AS is alcohol soluable, would it be safe to wipe my CPU with alcohol or some similar substance?

Not nail polish remover. Pure acetone is good. Nail polish remover has other stuff in it along with the acetone that will keep the AS5 from making a good contact.

alright, i'll do that, thanks. just happen to have some pure acetone left over from cleaning these lenses :)

Sorry about the using nail polish remover...but i used it and worked pretty well on my intel p4 3ghz 800fsb.

Dude the "actual cpu" is the DIE itself. That green/brown plastic substrate is just there to hold the pins... :D

And yes I would worry if too much excess squeezes out onto the substrate. Murphy's Law states that AS5 will get into the bridges even if you don't want it to :D

There could be a scientific explanation though. AS5 is a heavy metal grease (yeah it's a death metal grease if it gets into bridges ok ok enough music references :D ) and is probably not THIXOTROPIC, meaning it would probably sag when heated, you know how things are when heated, they thin out. There's a possibility that it could do this when it gets hot in there... it sags... BANG! your CPU is toast...

Better use something non-conductive like Ceramiuqe or Shin Etsu...

Meh just read the AS link...

Not Electrically Conductive:
Arctic Silver 5 was formulated to conduct heat, not electricity.
(While much safer than electrically conductive silver and copper greases, Arctic Silver 5 should be kept away from electrical traces, pins, and leads. While it is not electrically conductive, the compound is very slightly capacitive and could potentially cause problems if it bridges two close-proximity electrical paths.)

Absolute Stability:
Arctic Silver 5 will not separate, run, migrate, or bleed.

Whatever AS's press release says... I just don't trust press releases... Firestone used to say their tires don't cause any SUV flipping problems...

When in doubt use white grease. You can't go wrong with it.

AS5 is all I use. As long as the HS and the die are properly prepared, all you need is as thin a coat of AS5 as you can get while completely covering the die. So even if it does run it wont run more than a millimeter or two from the die. Isopropyl alchohol works great to clean AS5. I am not presently overclocked (I will be soon as I finish my WC sys), my cpu dosen't get any hotter than a hot summer day eg. 41 C, and thats after my son had been racing for the last 4 or 5 hours (shoulda been doin his homework but it is his Bday today, so what the hell).

I had a bunch of grease (I think it was as2) around my cpu (it came used that way).

anywho, the system was really flaky when I was first testing it, would only soft boot, and then only sometimes.. etc.

cleaned it up, and it's been fine since.

Back