• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Java Crashes Computer (Windows 7)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Since the system was infected, there is no way to know exactly what was changed. You simply can't trust the install anymore. Do a wipe of the drive (after backing up your data elsewhere of course!) and start with a clean install. Then try Java and testing your cards.

I agree with thideras, the best way forward is wiping your system. There are way too many variables opened up by the viruses. Once the system is back to a clean slate, we'll test the video cards and the pcie slots because they're the next most likely culprits.

Ok, I won't be able to do this for a while since I got to get everything set up for it. I wanna keep this one in its current state and get a new hard drive then turn this one into storage once i get it configured the way i want.

Install Windows on a relatively small partition and never keep anything personal on that partition + install large applications elsewhere.

When, not if, Windows starts acting up - you can nuke it quickly and easily. Make an image after you set everything up just like you want it to be. Good luck.

Ok, I won't be able to do this for a while since I got to get everything set up for it. I wanna keep this one in its current state and get a new hard drive then turn this one into storage once i get it configured the way i want.

I sympathize. My main rig is acting funny, but the rebuild time for the software is huge. I haven't taken the time to wipe it yet, and really don't want to.

EDIT: C627, have you ever tried a low level hypervisor? I'm looking into it at the moment, and have found that GPU passthrough finally works. I'm super excited, re-imaging would be super easy if I can make it work.

I prefer to install multi boots and then just nuke one OS from the other in less time it takes to go on a short bathroom break.

So if Windows so much as takes an entire second to do something it should have done in half a second, I nuke the entire OS in two minutes. Just kidding... Not really kidding. ;)

Heh, I bet your computer quakes in fear when you walk into the room. "Is he gonna wipe me again?? Please no Please no Please no--"
*windows starts up half a second slower*
"NOOOOOOOOOOOOO--"

I bet it'd re-image faster if you did it in a VM though :D If I get my system up and running, I'll let you know how well it works.

Install Windows on a relatively small partition and never keep anything personal on that partition + install large applications elsewhere.

When, not if, Windows starts acting up - you can nuke it quickly and easily. Make an image after you set everything up just like you want it to be. Good luck.

Yeah. That's a good call to do. :thup:

Back