• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which coolant/mix would be best (liquid)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
To answer your question, no, definitely not. But out of curiosity, why on earth would one run ammonia through their water loop?

Very high specific heat. It's a fantastic refrigerant if you ignore it's absolute lethality.

^^ well it looks like the specific heat rises as temps rise, so I would assume that for high heat issues it would OWN water based loops. But then, time/effort/death factors might play in to the issue vs LN2 setup. Is ammonia conductive?

I have a feeling some nut head OC.com'er has done this. With what I've seen from the benchmark team, some tard has to have tried this.

I have a feeling some nut head OC.com'er has done this. With what I've seen from the benchmark team, some tard has to have tried this.
Some former nut OC'er, maybe. Whoever tried it probably isn't around to explain it to us anymore. :D

ok I stumbled on this forum and got to add my two cents in.
now in my system I use a racing radiator from a racing 125cc shifter kart, I mix sever metals so I use anti-freeze for all the nice additives in it to keep corrosion down, lub and what not. now I just this system just like I ran my kart: anti-freeze, water, and a form of water wetter I have had great temps! the major thing is surface area and air flow get those two things down and you will be fine.

ok I stumbled on this forum and got to add my two cents in.
now in my system I use a racing radiator from a racing 125cc shifter kart, I mix sever metals so I use anti-freeze for all the nice additives in it to keep corrosion down, lub and what not. now I just this system just like I ran my kart: anti-freeze, water, and a form of water wetter I have had great temps! the major thing is surface area and air flow get those two things down and you will be fine.
Nice. :thup: That's what everyone was doing about 10 years ago and it works great as long as you can dissipate the heat, like you said. There might be 5-10C to gain by spending a bunch of cash and "modernizing" the system, but that probably won't affect your overclock one bit.

Mods, I kinda suggest we kill this thread to prevent continued discussion on liquids. Yea, kinda China like. The long term health of the masses and less corrections of the 'peoples' might result.

For the common good of the farmers and factory workers.

If it leaks, you die. Conductivity isn't really an issue.

that is why you use Safety Lock Wire on every connection; no leaks no problem. or you can use all copper fittings braze connections on it to accept break lines, fuel lines whatever your tools are the only things that limit you.

as for the ammonia... I thought ammonia was mildly abrasive so over time could damage parts.

I really wish I could get my hands on some ln2, I have a machine shop so I could easily make all my own blocks just need some coolant to play with.

that is why you use Safety Lock Wire on every connection; no leaks no problem. or you can use all copper fittings braze connections on it to accept break lines, fuel lines whatever your tools are the only things that limit you.

as for the ammonia... I thought ammonia was mildly abrasive so over time could damage parts.

I really wish I could get my hands on some ln2, I have a machine shop so I could easily make all my own blocks just need some coolant to play with.

Ammonia as we use it in the real world (ie. not industrial use) is only about 10% ammonia and the rest is water. It is a base though and as I recall can be quite caustic. I certainly wouldn't run it in my loop unless my loop was all metal piping and sitting in a totally different (well ventilated) part of the house.

As far as LN2, places that sell welding stuff may carry it.

Ammonia as we use it in the real world (ie. not industrial use) is only about 10% ammonia and the rest is water. It is a base though and as I recall can be quite caustic. I certainly wouldn't run it in my loop unless my loop was all metal piping and sitting in a totally different (well ventilated) part of the house.

As far as LN2, places that sell welding stuff may carry it.

He has no clue, he don't know it turns to gas and must repeatedly be replaced by pouring from a thermos into a special copper pot on top of the CPU and you can spend $200 of Ln2 in a 24 hour period cooling the CPU. The pots are in the $200+ range for a CPU.

In your ammonia loops, you put the liquid back into a heat exchanger and spend $1000s in electricity to rechill the liquid. The only reason your using ammonia is it can release/gain heat very quicky. You still have to use expensive compressors and heat exchangers to recool the liquid.

Rethink Ln2. We have a sub forum for that.

This is how Ln2 is used.
http://www.overclockers.com/2011-xtremesystems-ces-party-pictures/

They prolly spend $1000 on Ln2 over the night on 4 diff rigs. Granted, many of the rigs were huge. I was there, a great evening with amazing smart folks.

From what I understand the BEST possible coolant that's SAFE to use for your system is Ice Dragon Nanofluid.

From what I've read it can decrease temperatures from 2 to 7 degrees Celsius compared to deionized distilled water.

From what I understand the BEST possible coolant that's SAFE to use for your system is Ice Dragon Nanofluid.

From what I've read it can decrease temperatures from 2 to 7 degrees Celsius compared to deionized distilled water.

Read from where exactly? Also, from what I've seen with other specially designed fluids, they eventually stain tubing and gum up inside of blocks/pumps. Personally, I'm sticking to H2O (distilled).

Read from where exactly? Also, from what I've seen with other specially designed fluids, they eventually stain tubing and gum up inside of blocks/pumps. Personally, I'm sticking to H2O (distilled).

The stains come from the dyes sticking to the plasticizer in the tubing, it's possible to get tubing without it.

+1.

Also, please state a source before saying something so absolute (and patently false). 2-7°C from any fluid change is a generally outrageous claim. It could get 2-7°C worse than distilled if you use a fluid that has something badly wrong with it (i.e. too much dye that gums up your block(s), or just a horribly designed fluid like FluidXP Nanofluid at the link, which is the only fluid to have >0.7°C difference), but 2-7°C better than distilled? Keep dreaming.

Back