• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

So what's up with the Horses?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Stryfe

I was taking a look at the team races, with SetiTeam and noticed that not only are The Four Horsemen way way behind, but they haven't even produced as many units as some other individuals on the other teams, for instance a certian bird.
Did the horses eat some bad oats or something? They looked off to a decent start. They weren't keeping up with the other teams totals but at least they were the highest output single person(s) in the races.

SETIQueue doesn't require much power to drive it. Mine is running on a PII 233@266 with 96 Megs of RAM and it is also crunching WU's (at the low low rate of 19.5 hrs/WU). The biggest stumbling block to SETIQueue is bandwidth to Berkeley.

I was kind of wondering myself. I expected his output to be greater than Benz.

Greg M said:
SETIQueue doesn't require much power to drive it. Mine is running on a PII 233@266 with 96 Megs of RAM and it is also crunching WU's (at the low low rate of 19.5 hrs/WU). The biggest stumbling block to SETIQueue is bandwidth to Berkeley.

It requires a lot of juice if you are running a lot of network traffic through it all the time. With over 100 computers to serve we need more system resources. We have also been really busy lately. We ordered more parts, and Chawken donoted some as well, HE IS GOOD GUY :) This weekend we are going to refresh Novastar the seti queue and pump out 100 a day again, but she is not stable without her new parts, so don't expect our numbers to be stable. Once we get the system going it should be smooth sailing to the end of the semister.

Are you guys also caching with the SETIDriver on the PC's to act as a buffer?

The initial load will be a PITA, but the subsequent requests can easily be handled by a PC and Fast Ethernet.

What are you guys talking about, 500 WU's/Day. Isn't that about 175MB/Day? How big is your Internet pipe?

Last edited:
Why dont they just leech off of all the setiqueues posted to spread the load? Im sure all those setiqueues could take it, if spread out among them.

The seti system setup is rather complecated, as all the cleints are ran through the intranet. This means the whole client is piped through the intranet, and is active all the time. The bandwidth useage is not a problem for the gigabit, but the stress on the system is.

I'm having a hard time understanding what you are describing. You are mapping the PC's to a drive on a server and executing the SETI CLC from the PC?

I think the 4 horsemen have their personal systems setup
normally, but then they have a whole school of machines
that are connected to some really old skool server that's setup
with a SETICue. That way they can monitor and seperate the
4 horsemen from "The Army".

But their SETICue server is getting overwhelmed. They need to
upgrade it.

That's what I was thinking, but this threw me:
Sir-Epix said:
This means the whole client is piped through the intranet, and is active all the time.
What Lonely Raven laid out is exactly what I do on my home network and work lab network.

Greg M said:
That's what I was thinking, but this threw me:
What Lonely Raven laid out is exactly what I do on my home network and work lab network.

Okay I will break it down for everyone. I have all the CLC clients setup on the setiqueue hard drive. I have a folder for each computer with all the files. I then go to a computer connect to the server manually and access the folder for that particular computer. I then start up the client which accesses the queue for a work unit. The client gets it and starts crunching the work unit. The whole time nothing is on the client computer, it is directly connected to the server and saving on the servers hard drive. Hope this clears this up.

Sir-Epix said:

Okay I will break it down for everyone. I have all the CLC clients setup on the setiqueue hard drive. I have a folder for each computer with all the files. I then go to a computer connect to the server manually and access the folder for that particular computer. I then start up the client which accesses the queue for a work unit. The client gets it and starts crunching the work unit. The whole time nothing is on the client computer, it is directly connected to the server and saving on the servers hard drive. Hope this clears this up.

why don't u set it up directly into each client's hard drive instead of all in the server? i know sometimes it's not possible or too much work..... but at least that should ease ur server's load.

That is way inefficient. The client is loaded from the server into each PC's memory. As the SETI client processes the data, it makes a ton of reads and writes to data and log files. Doing this over the network will slow things down significantly and add extra network and server load that is really not necessary.

Are you setting up this way for some particular reason?

Greg M said:
That is way inefficient. The client is loaded from the server into each PC's memory. As the SETI client processes the data, it makes a ton of reads and writes to data and log files. Doing this over the network will slow things down significantly and add extra network and server load that is really not necessary.

Are you setting up this way for some particular reason?

This is not inefficient at all the computer produces a work unit in the same time it takes if it is on the hard drive. I do it this way because the computers get imaged every day, so in order not to lose work units I just store them on a central server. The clients only talk to the server when it is saving it every 5 minutes or so, else it just sits in the ram crunching away :) It is one of the greatest/easiest ways to run seti.

I'm not too sure about these horses anymore. We were told that the team was getting a stable full of thoroughbreds, and now it looks as if we have a bunch of glue factory nags. :D

I can't argue with what you are actually experiencing. I figured you guys were running in a training room type of environment, so you have to work around the frequent PC re-imaging. Hopefully, you guys will be at full stride real soon.

Sir-Epix said:

This is not inefficient at all the computer produces a work unit in the same time it takes if it is on the hard drive. I do it this way because the computers get imaged every day, so in order not to lose work units I just store them on a central server. The clients only talk to the server when it is saving it every 5 minutes or so, else it just sits in the ram crunching away :) It is one of the greatest/easiest ways to run seti.

i know ur point.

however, w/ ur 50+clients crunching/accessing at the same time, it's quite a lot of load for ur network (well, shouldn't too bad) and server itself!!

anyway, really wish to see all ur horses running in full speed soon!!!

Back