• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bonus for A4-core based projects

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

'Cuda340

Very Welcoming Senior, Premium Member #11
We've noticed a significant number of high priority projects are trailing behind existing projects. Newer projects are aimed at interpreting and guiding experiments where the full power of Folding@home (F@h) is essential to continue pushing the boundaries of scientific and medical discoveries.

The main cause of this issue is the core version needed to run these simulations. Many of our newer SMP projects use the A4 core, which has several scientific advancements, while existing projects use the still important A3 core. The A4 core is not compatible with Clients below version 6.34 and many donors are still running these older Client versions.

This presents an opportunity to encourage people to donate their cycles towards these vital A4 projects. To emphasize the scientific importance of these work units, we are boosting the base points of all A4 work units by 10%when uploaded (Note that this bonus will not be reported by V7 or by the 3rd party applications which project PPD but the points will appear when your statistics are credited). The quick return bonuses will be calculated on top of the increased base points. This will start on Monday July 23, 2011, and we will keep this 10% bonus in effect for at least 3 months as a trial period, but plan to keep it longer, as needed.

To participate, donors should be running a recent version of the F@h Client. We strongly encourage Windows users to update to the much improved V7 Client. Although F@h Client v6.34 or newer is sufficient to participate for any supported operating system. Please note the Linux and OSX V7 Clients are a work in progress and feedback is welcomed.

v7 Clients:
Windows/Linux: Visit our home page, http://folding.stanford.edu/English/HomePage
Mac OSX: v7 for OSX is still in testing. For a beta copy: https://fah-web.stanford.edu/projects/FAHClient/wiki/BetaRelease

Old v6.34+ Clients
Windows/Linux: http://folding.stanford.edu/English/DownloadWinOther

Source

I would love to run A4 projects, but have never gotten any, even on my E5 2650; is it necessary to have more than 16 threads available?

The A4 Core folding projects are the FAHCrontrol client v7 SMP process

The new Units are not compatible with clients below v6.34

Just check in task Manager for FahCore_a4.exe or in HFM.NET's "Core ID" column to be sure

The A4 Core folding projects are the FAHCrontrol client v7 SMP process

The new Units are not compatible with clients below v6.34

Just check in task Manager for FahCore_a4.exe or in HFM.NET's "Core ID" column to be sure

Ah, so A4 is for v7 only...that explains it. I only run v6 on my Linux machines; i have used the v7 client briefly, but found TPF to run unnecessarily long.

Maybe I should try the released v7 client soon...

note this part:

"Please note the Linux and OSX V7 Clients are a work in progress and feedback is welcomed."

So maybe they have improved it since you last used it :)

The client doesn't do any folding, so v6 and V7 clients run at EXACTLY the same speed.

The FAHCores do all the work, so when there is a speed difference, it is because the client downloads different work units, which used a different fahcore.

Some of the A4 work units were a little pokey at first, but PPD should now be the same as A3 work units. Well, more PPD for A4s starting on Monday. ;)

And as the news post and your fellow 'mates have indicated the V7 client will tend to download more A4 work units. Upgrading should be well worth it.

FYI, V7 linux installs as a service, so no command line or GUI required. However, you will want to install the FAHControl GUI so you can make an occasional setting change, like user name, team number, or client-type = advanced. Then only run the GUI as needed.

Last edited:
If you launch the Linux client v7 in a terminal, will that terminal stay up and have output so you can monitor?

no need to launch Linux v7 in a terminal. FAHControl adds its self to the science menu under accessories. Launch FAH control to monitor and control the local client and/or remote clients.

fahviewer_7.1.52_amd64.deb
fahcontrol_7.1.52-1_all.deb
fahclient_7.1.52_amd64.deb

Is the viewer a waste of time?

Are these mostly for -bagadv folders?

I only run a Q6600 and run of the mill SMP2 work.

I just setup a new VM Ubuntu 12.04 on my Q9300 computer, so that I could install v7. I'm going to let it run for a few days and see what the PPD is with the 10% bonus. If it's better than v6.34, then I will keep running v7; otherwise, I will go back to v6.34.

Yes, I think the viewer is a waste of time. I did not install it, only the client and control.

So explain this like I am a 5 year old.....I don't need to change anything on my 4P 32core Linux/Ubuntu rig correct? The v7 will not give me 10%?...yet....

So explain this like I am a 5 year old.....I don't need to change anything on my 4P 32core Linux/Ubuntu rig correct? The v7 will not give me 10%?...yet....

If you are running -bigadv or -bigbeta, then there is no 10% bonus. They use the A5 core.

If you are simply running -smp, then the 10% bonus will start tomorrow when you turn in any A4 core WU's. AFAIK, you do not have to do anything, other than complete A4 core WU's.

I fired up my rigs and was getting about 70k ppd with 9550@ 3833, gtx465 @700 core, 970 @4101, gtx580 @ 900 core. 9550 was makeing about 10k ppd, which is better than the 5k before. I was using v7. I kinda like it, but it's new and cumbersome. I liked it better when my 970 alone was doing 85k ppd with qrb :(

Possibly.. It seems like its a smarter client. Although it doesnt load the cpu or gpu like 6.34 does. It seems to have good load balanceing

It is a hook to get people to upgrade to at least version 6.34. It will benefit those switching to v7 more than those switching to v6.34, because v7 clients are assigned a much higher percentage of a4 Wus than v6.34 clients. Whether 10% is enoucgh on average to lift a4 production up to a3 level remainns to be seen, but it should at least be close, removing most if not all the v7 production penalty.

Dave, you;re already getting a 25+% bonus running BA, don't be greedy!

Last edited:
Back