• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED Overclockix Revived

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
another thing i really need is instructions on how to set up and optimize for distributed computing (f@h, boinc, seti, etc). i am completely out of the loop and while i could set them up and write up instructions for them, they may not be optimized as well as someone else could do.

i really need a linux expert from each of these DC groups to either write scripts or provide instructions on how to set each of these up.

I believe the ck kernel is best for FaH.

BOINC for linux can be run from a folder in ~/, afaik.

I believe the ck kernel is best for FaH.

BOINC for linux can be run from a folder in ~/, afaik.

the 'ck' kernel? did a quick search and didn't see anything labeled under linux-image with 'ck' in the name.

for boinc, i have the 'boinc' package installed. it's just any configuration that i am not sure about at the moment.

Everyone needs to decide if this distro is going to be a diagnostic / overclock tool distro or a distributed computing one. You might need two versions.

If you're going diagnostic, you better support every platform you can. Maybe I want to see how far I can overclock my 386 when I'm soldering out clock crystals? Maybe I need a CD to carry around to save my butt in the field to help isolate what component in a computer are failing? That CD I want to "just work" on about everything. From that beater Pentium-III Dell to the embedded 486 in some ancient ATM (argh, yes they still do have them).

Consider I want some tools more modern than win3.11 or OS/2 warp for stress testing to get my drift.

Fork it. Those wanting to dump 32-bit... you guys just want a lean and mean distributed computing distro. Nothing wrong with that but...

Just food for thought. I probably want too much. Having a overclockers.com diagnostic CD from 2011 to torture hardware designed from 1992.

Everyone needs to decide if this distro is going to be a diagnostic / overclock tool distro or a distributed computing one. You might need two versions.

If you're going diagnostic, you better support every platform you can. Maybe I want to see how far I can overclock my 386 when I'm soldering out clock crystals? Maybe I need a CD to carry around to save my butt in the field to help isolate what component in a computer are failing? That CD I want to "just work" on about everything. From that beater Pentium-III Dell to the embedded 486 in some ancient ATM (argh, yes they still do have them).

Consider I want some tools more modern than win3.11 or OS/2 warp for stress testing to get my drift.

Fork it. Those wanting to dump 32-bit... you guys just want a lean and mean distributed computing distro. Nothing wrong with that but...

Just food for thought. I probably want too much. Having a overclockers.com diagnostic CD from 2011 to torture hardware designed from 1992.

i don't see why it can't be both a DC & diagnostic distro. there is certainly plenty of room to do both. if someone wants to do a fully stripped down (aka - no gui, only basic utils) 'fork' for distributed computing, it would take them about all of 10 minutes max to do that using live-build and the custom build script.

i definitely want to offer both i386 and amd64 builds and the added overhead to do so isn't really that bad (install packages in two chroots instead of one).

on a side note, i found a really odd calculation of the image size for the usb-hdd partition which caused an extra 15MB of empty space to be created and i have modified the build script to fix that for the next round of builds. that explains why the usb-hdd image for gnome-core is roughly 3% bigger than it really needs to be.

another thing i really need is instructions on how to set up and optimize for distributed computing (f@h, boinc, seti, etc). ...
(AFAIK) The easy way is to include the required boinc packages. Then any user can run boinc manager and attach to any eligible project. BIONC is designed to download any project specific executables. Users can sometimes find additional optimized applications but I would think it would be well beyond the goals of Overclockix to try to automate that. On Ubuntu if I install the metapackage 'boinc' it pulls in 'boinc-client' and 'boinc-manager.' that's all I've needed for Rosetta, Seti and Einstein.

Ubuntu has additional packages for a couple projects (Seti@home, Milkyway@home) and I don't know what they're for. I run SETI and have not installed the .deb for it.

the 'ck' kernel? did a quick search and didn't see anything labeled under linux-image with 'ck' in the name.

for boinc, i have the 'boinc' package installed. it's just any configuration that i am not sure about at the moment.

The -ck kernel patch is authored by Con Kolivas, who has done some interesting work with CPU scheduling.

Some relevant links:

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=50025

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1036935472&postcount=259

http://www.amdzone.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=521&t=138463

ah ok. i will add that on the wishlist of things to add but it might not be a priority right off the bat here.

also, i am discontinuing the 'lxde' build as it looks like that isn't going to win the poll by a long shot.

*edit: updated the documentation for instructions on how to setup the usb-hdd images.

Last edited:
The -ck kernel patch is authored by Con Kolivas, who has done some interesting work with CPU scheduling.
ah ok. i will add that on the wishlist of things to add but it might not be a priority right off the bat here.

The above mentioned for information only, I don't see including a ck patched kernel as a priority, since very few folders here are running multi socketed rigs. Maybe a couple SR-2s, but no 4p+ rigs for sure.

on the topic of what all can be done to contribute, the biggest thing that i could use is feedback and suggestions for applications, etc.

This may be a long shot, but how about a program that has the capability of displaying the topology of the local network? This would be an extremely helpful network troubleshooting tool as well as a network diagnostic and benchmarking tool. I kind of envision it as the same layout as Packet Tracer, just with the ACTUAL user's network (I'm thinking home network) on the user's side of the demarc.

i also need some suggestions for wallpapers (would like them to be overclockers.com related or something made for overclockix). i have most things listed in the contributor section

I have a friend of mine that owes me a favor who just happend to graduate with two degrees in using photoshop. I'll have her put some penguins and lightning bolts onto a sweet background. What resolutions should I ask her to focus on?

Brian

well, for the boot logo, it has to be the same dimensions, color depth, etc as this. for a desktop background, 1280x1024 would probably be a good resolution i'd imagine.

Last edited:
did we decide "totally" on one operating system then? are we still on debian :shrug:? i am having a lot of issues with my networking through debian. problems that don't present themselves on Ubuntu.

yes, it is debian. what sort of issues are you talking about? i am assuming it's a wireless problem you're having...

DreamerBrian, do you know of any applications that can do what you are talking about in regards to network topology? that would make a great addition.

that's very weird. are you seeing this behavior in debian or just specifically with overclockix?

i have almost never seen a wired network card fail to work right out of the box in a modern linux distro.

for the next build, i am adding the following packages to support CD/DVD burning:
  • brasero
  • cdrdao
  • gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly

i'd like to add more applications that people would find to be useful for troubleshooting, etc.

i was successfully able to connect to my windows shares when i tested in .008...

Back