• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

No CPU or New MOBO??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CountryStrong

Hey guys I am getting either a new CPU or a new motherboard. I want every to keep in mind about 2 weeks ago my CPU and MOBO both hit the 130 degree ferinehiet area while playing BF3 with the stock cooler. Since then i have put in a custom water loop, and my tempsa are right around 30 degrees celcius idle. I can only afford one or the other at this time. Looking at the AMD Athlon X4 760k as a new CPU. And the ASUS A88X pro as a new motherboard.

Now my problem is while surfing the web it seems to be a bit laggy. While playing games its got a constant choppy video as you would excpect with extreamly low FPS. So i wanna get some info whether you guys think I overheated my chipset or did the heat do damange to the CPU? Or both?

My Specs:

Asus A55BM-E_MOBO
Asus R7 250x_Graphx
AMD A6 6400k_CPU (overclocked 4.2ghz)
8gb 2x4gb Ram (cheap)
Thermatake T2 750w_PSU

Cooling:

XSPC Raystorm_waterblock
XSPC X20 750_Pump/Res combo
Swiftech 1 120mm_radiator
1/2" primochill_tubing

Last edited:
First off Sorry about the typo in the title. "No cpu" should obviously be "New cpu".
And second what do you care if i put water cooling on it or not? It is not you machine nor will you ever use it or see it. So really i don't care what you think about me water cooling my processor. I will water cool whatever i want to in MY system. If you have nothing useful to add then don't add a damn thing.

First, it was a joke, you don't have to take anything as an attack. You are welcome to cool your system however you want, just be ready for someone to tell you it was a bit (lot) overkill.

Second, the chip only hit 55C, well in the safe zone so there is no way you did any harm to it.

The 250x is about as far away as you can get from a gaming card. I wouldn't expect any reasonable fast with the card.

Sell everything.

Buy used K i5 processor and cheap mobo.

Water is hilariously cost ineffective.

^This.

Also, I was (obviously, I thought) joking. It's your money to spend as you wish. I just would have gone in a very different direction and gotten air cooled better parts (i5, GTX 760) instead of spending all that coin on water cooling parts.

That's just my opinion though.

Sorry if I offended you it was not my intent.

yea man, i didn't read that as a joke. I appologize for the ****ty response. been a long day. I5 guy haha i couldn't go intel. Nothing wrong with them just a loyal customer I'm sure you can relate. The 250x is a **** card i 100% agree. it does the job enough to get me through. I do have plans to upgrade just not til around tax time. I want to be able to get a good card. I do also have a Motherboard upgrade planned for the somewhat near future as well. Sorry again man no hard feelings.

P.S i just ended up getting the 760k for now either way i see it i get rid of the APU. Yes i know the 760k is basicly an APU with factory deactivated IGPU due to defect or whatever the reason. But I still believe it to be an upgrade from the A6 6400k, am I wrong?

Last edited:
Really for surfing and watching video, there is no reason your old cpu\mb or gpu would cause problems. You don't list an SSD, so if you are on an older HDD it could be the problem. Or maybe its time to do a fresh Windows install.

If you just go by cpu mark bench, the 760K is a good bit faster but still much slower than a mid-range i5. In your spot, I would have really tried to save for an 8350\990FX combo if you want to stay AMD.

The cooling, good thing about it is you got it now and will have it for whatever you run.

Agreed. If you want to go AMD get something between an FX 6300 and 8350.
They are good, strong CPUs. In many applications, Intel's stronger cores beat the AMDs but the AMDs have their strong points.

Maybe something like

FX 6300
ASUS M5A99FX
GTX 760
240GB SSD (Corsair, Intel, Samsung, Crucial.. depends what you want to spend)
1-3TB HDD (WD Blue and Black are nice)
2x4GB DDR3 1600

Really for surfing and watching video, there is no reason your old cpu\mb or gpu would cause problems. You don't list an SSD, so if you are on an older HDD it could be the problem. Or maybe its time to do a fresh Windows install.

If you just go by cpu mark bench, the 760K is a good bit faster but still much slower than a mid-range i5. In your spot, I would have really tried to save for an 8350\990FX combo if you want to stay AMD.

The cooling, good thing about it is you got it now and will have it for whatever you run.

+1 but i think hes more like me and "Cant afford" what others seem as a standard.

Agreed. If you want to go AMD get something between an FX 6300 and 8350.
They are good, strong CPUs. In many applications, Intel's stronger cores beat the AMDs but the AMDs have their strong points.

Maybe something like

FX 6300
ASUS M5A99FX
GTX 760
240GB SSD (Corsair, Intel, Samsung, Crucial.. depends what you want to spend)
1-3TB HDD (WD Blue and Black are nice)
2x4GB DDR3 1600

+1 the FX-6300 when overclocked is just as strong a CPU as my i5-2500k program dependent (2500k is better overall but 2times the price). But again with the poster i think his issue is the "Afford" issue that we all hit. I built project Bertha in my Sig on a extremely low budge $500 total. The 250x is a decent card for now but I bet money you are savind up for a better one later. As far as CPU/APU goes. The FX-6300 only runs $110 if you find the right site and its a stupid powerful card even for low budge builds and will last forever (minimal OC required) you can also pick up the same board i got for $69 i thinks its a MSI 970A-GD43. Its on the crappy side of the field but it holds a 4.0 clock and no issues.I would suggest that the Motherboard is something that MUST NOT be cheap. Pay the money for a good one to save yourself issues later. Also for APU the A10-5800k is a very very good cpu/gpu. Then just get a decent 88chip Mobo. If i remember correctly you can hybrid CFX the chip with your current gpu and not worrie bout upgrading GPU for what you use it for (im not sure if the hybrid works with a 250x). But Cudos to you on the water cooling. When i was building my wifes rig i though of getting an APU and watercooling it too. If people dont understand its ok. I like that water cooling look with a big window and it also assures your temps are in check. But check your hardware first before you spend the moniez. HHD can be the issue and also check your internet service. You could be running somethings that kill your signal which causes the "laggy" feeling. Go into your task manager and under processes check whats using all your resources. Bet its a hard drive issue and can be fixed.

But if i can share some wisdom. Get exactly what you want, it will save you money later on as you wont regret it later. if need be spend the extra "$20" and you will be happier. Do not purposefully buy cheap as you could screw yourself and have to replace stuff sooner rather than later.

(The term “hybrid” in Hybrid Crossfire is coined because it is a hybrid amalgamation of “discrete-class” integrated graphics on the APU with a discrete graphics card. The logic of CrossFire is still retained in Hybrid CrossFire – you should pair two similar graphics processors to scale extra performance through synchronisation and joint GPU processing. In the case of Hybrid CrossFire you aren’t dealing with only graphics cards like you would be with normal CrossFire, but instead GPUs so it can be problematic, though the objective is still to pair similar parts. AMD does set out some official recommendations for which R7 series GPUs you should pair off with each Kaveri APU –A final thing to briefly mention is frame pacing. AMD have released a driver fix for frame pacing which effectively fixes the problem of delayed “runt” frames.)

Last edited:
+1 for 6300, it sucks at single threaded, but at 4.4+GHz it flys with 6 whole cores.

I use a GIGABYTE GA-970A-D3P, the bare minimum for OCing a 6300.

Had my 1050MHz 7850 with it, until I got this 4690K for only $160.

+1 for 6300, it sucks at single threaded, but at 4.4+GHz it flys with 6 whole cores.

I use a GIGABYTE GA-970A-D3P, the bare minimum for OCing a 6300.

Had my 1050MHz 7850 with it, until I got this 4690K for only $160.

Nice. Im running the 7850 with my wifes fx 6300 and for what she uses it for (Facebook, WoW) it handles just fine and i have it hooked to a 22" 1080p monitor and a 52" 1080p TV no tearing and her temps are at 20c with just a simple $30 cooler hyper 212. budget wise its really really good but i cant deal with her monitor cuz it sucks compared to my Asus VN247HP

I would start with a better gpu, that will work with the rest he has and will move with you as you upgrade, I have the gtx 760's and they are great bang for the buck.

I'll look into the 760's. I did get the 760k like i said. $100 not to worried about that. i like to spend money just not save lmao. I know my system is one of the cheap end low gaming machine, and it will get better. And again I will not buy Intel.

Back