• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Stuck between Seagate and Hitachi

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wyemarn

I'm planning to do RAID0 and thinking of getting either two 320GB 7200.10 or two 320GB Hitachi T7K500. I'm planning to use the RAID0 setup for OS, gaming and torrent. Which drive will perform better and produce low noise, heat output? Thanks.

I have two hitachi T7K500's and they are awesome. I havent put them in raid yet, actually working on that as we speak, but I purchased them because I saw some reviews saying that they were the drives to buy for high performance. If you do a search, you can probably find the reviews.

as much as ppl have given me their opinions, i still to this day don't know which i'd want...

i've used BOTH as a single drive setup, and both were fast... just never did a comparison and now i don't own a 7200.10 anymore, just the t7k500...

i'm debating on this as well, as i have a POTENTIAL plan of doing three 320gb hard drives in matrix raid0 raid5...

i'll keep my eye on this thread. :)

No experience with the Hitachis, but I know that the Seagates run cool, quiet, and are definitely above average in reliability.

I did some research and found out Seagates performs better in synthetic benches while Hitachi is faster in real world usage. I will be going for Hitachi since one of my 7200.10 did died a few months after usage.

Another dilemma guys.

Currently I have a 7200.10 250GB. Should I get 2 more 7200.10 250GB and set up a 3 drive RAID0 or just get two Hitachi 320GBs and use the 7200 as storage drive?

I have a 3 disk raid0 array with the 250gb 7200.10, and it runs great for me. I cant imagine there being a big performance difference between the hitachi and the seagates, but I would guarantee that 3 disks > 2 disks.

icantfindone said:
I have a 3 disk raid0 array with the 250gb 7200.10, and it runs great for me. I cant imagine there being a big performance difference between the hitachi and the seagates, but I would guarantee that 3 disks > 2 disks.

for performance that is most definately true. But remember the more disks you add to your raid 0 the more chance for failure.

wyemarn said:
Another dilemma guys.

Currently I have a 7200.10 250GB. Should I get 2 more 7200.10 250GB and set up a 3 drive RAID0 or just get two Hitachi 320GBs and use the 7200 as storage drive?
Do the latter. Unless you're doing some major video editing or other large file usage that will benefit from the increased STR of a third drive, don't bother with more than 2 drives for RAID0.

wyemarn said:
Another dilemma guys.

If I was you I would get two more 7200.10 and do MATRIX Raid 0 plus Raid 5... if you have the ICH8R chipset that is... if you don't, then not sure what to tell ya...

i think that they're both pretty good drives, maybe a matter of preference? my seagate 160GB sata150 drive is alive and kicking after a couple of years

I just got myself 2 Hitachi drives. Still havent set them up but will be looking foward to do that. I will be doing matrix raid (250GB+250GB RAID0) and the remaining 50GB from each drive for RAID1. From RAID0 volume, I will set the first partition for Windows, 2nd for applications and the rest for storage. Any advice or comments on this?

wyemarn said:
I just got myself 2 Hitachi drives. Still havent set them up but will be looking foward to do that. I will be doing matrix raid (250GB+250GB RAID0) and the remaining 50GB from each drive for RAID1. From RAID0 volume, I will set the first partition for Windows, 2nd for applications and the rest for storage. Any advice or comments on this?
I think you have it backwards...

I normally set the windows, programs, games partition to 30gb (unless you have TONs of games, then make it a little bigger)... and that's your raid0.

Then, the raid1 will be the remaining space left over...

g0dM@n said:
I think you have it backwards...

I normally set the windows, programs, games partition to 30gb (unless you have TONs of games, then make it a little bigger)... and that's your raid0.

Then, the raid1 will be the remaining space left over...

The reason I want to make a big RAID0 volume is because I need big storage. I will only leave around 50GB from each drive for RAID1. If I make a small RAID0 volume, most of my space would be wasted. I'm planning to do like this :

RAID0(250GB+250GB=500GB)
C : Windows only (30-50GB)
D : Programs and Games (100GB)
E : Storage1 (150GB)
F : Storage2 (200GB)
RAID1(50GB from 2 drives)
G : Important files

My 250GB 7200.10 will be used for torrents only so there wont be any disk access to my RAID volume all the time. The I really want big storage and good performance at the same time so I'm willing to take the risk and make a big RAID0 volume. Any other recommendations? Thanks!

Why a Storage1 and a Storage2? Why not just a BIG storage partition?

It's all pretty much how you want to set it up... if you're going to be working with large files in storage on the raid0 volume, you may want to use the 128kb stripe... I use 16k b/c I just use windows on my raid0 volume... I actually thought about using even lower striping, but I wasn't sure if I should.

Anyone have recommendations on striping size?

g0dM@n said:
Why a Storage1 and a Storage2? Why not just a BIG storage partition?

It's all pretty much how you want to set it up... if you're going to be working with large files in storage on the raid0 volume, you may want to use the 128kb stripe... I use 16k b/c I just use windows on my raid0 volume... I actually thought about using even lower striping, but I wasn't sure if I should.

Anyone have recommendations on striping size?

I might combine them. Yeah, I also wonder what would be the best stripe size. Large stripe size would be waste and small ones would lower down performance.

wyemarn said:
I might combine them. Yeah, I also wonder what would be the best stripe size. Large stripe size would be waste and small ones would lower down performance.
large stripe sizes would be awesome for bigger files like music and especially videos... smaller stripe sizes are good for programs and possibly windows...

Back