• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Time for a new case...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
man I cant make up my friggin mind on this, some refined results, keeping it down to newegg so specs are easily compared...still if its over $150 i'll have to order from amazon

this is what I have "narrowed" it down to:

Phanteks Enthoo Series Primo $240
Nanoxia NXDS6B $230 (Black)
Corsair Obsidian 750D $160
Fractal Design Define XL R2 $130 (Silver or Black)
Corsair Obsidian Series 900D $310 (If it'd only go $50 off at Amazon)

I like the idea of the Cooler Master HAF Stacker 935 for $160 but I wish there was a mATX top stack part instead of mITX. Wouldn't be worth my while to spend the money on building an ITX system to fit it, I have tons of mATX stuff sitting around that would make an awesome little sub system (quads with 5770's and 8 gigs on top of hex's with 7870s and 16 gigs? hell yea)

so I got to thinking and I measured my heatsink and I would probably need to keep the width at about 8.5" plus to clear what I have currently. right now I have an 8 inch wide case with no room on the back side of the mobo tray for cables and the heatsink barely clears. on top of that i'm still liking the idea of separating the power supply from the rest of the case in its own compartment, with hard drives in there its kind of cool too, but not too important because I realize that most cases with bottom mount PSUs have the PSU sucking from the bottom and venting out the back, although theres some radiant heat coming from the PSU enclosure its probably not enough to be concerned about.

does any one make any cool full sized desktop cases?

desktop as in horizontal orientation instead of being a tower, I could bulid something to make room for something like that I think

Last edited:
alright I did it, I ordered this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DSFDSUS/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

with one of these

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004GGUASG/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

because I am going to flip the rear exhaust fan to be an intake to blow directly at the cpu and it wasn't filtered for some reason. I figure since there are going to be 3 140mm fans on top blowing the hot air out that I should have more coming in. i'll post pics when I get it and when I do an install from my current case to this one, plus i'll be adding fans...

I have a lot......ALOT....of case fans, I just wish some of them were 140mm

if not amazon is good about returns, that's why I started the prime trial with this one so I wont have to pay to ship it back if theres something wron/isn't right for what I want

should be here Wednesday
must be a relatively new case, couldn't find any real reviews on it except one. newegg has a glorified unboxing of one, was helpful but....

I'm surprised hardware cannuks haven't got one to do a review on, they are always so through on their video case reviews. maybe i'll suggest it

the suspense is killing me waiting for this thing, I ran some errands and came home and I need to go out again to get something to eat/drink and I am afraid i'll miss it! I guess the UPS pickup is just down the road from here but still...

I got my fans ready, don't know what ones i'll use but like I said....

fans.JPG

I have a lot of fans

well case is getting sent back

apparently UPS ships things upside down and broke the hell out of all the plastic clips on the front and top of the case.
I also know its UPS's fault because the invoice from the distributor was still on the box and it was shipped ups as well to amazon

I took some pics, i'll post what I got later

well case is getting sent back

apparently UPS ships things upside down and broke the hell out of all the plastic clips on the front and top of the case.
I also know its UPS's fault because the invoice from the distributor was still on the box and it was shipped ups as well to amazon

I took some pics, i'll post what I got later

Did you even accept the shipment?

alright so heres the pics of what I got so far, I didn't even open the side panel when I got it, after I saw the damage I submitted an amazon RMA and they cross ship so that started a replacement order right away that got here today (Friday)
box shots

IMG_0476.JPG

IMG_0478.JPG

IMG_0479.JPG

a bad omen

IMG_0483.JPG

IMG_0485.JPG

that wont stay closed, that's not a good sign

IMG_0488.JPG

that is the reset button on the table down there in the first pic....well part of it..

IMG_0492.JPG

IMG_0493.JPG

IMG_0494.JPG

basically there was so much broken off the right front side that it wouldn't stay on, there were gouges in the top from the front panel being smashed into it and there was a bunch of mounts broken off the top aswell. also don't forget the cracks on the top corners...

and this was the replacement I got today before work, I checked it out before I went so I wouldn't get my hopes up and be super pissed all day...

IMG_0495.JPG

IMG_0499.JPG

ugh...it didn't help

I don't know which way to go at this point, fed ex delivered it this time and it wasn't AS broken but I am paying over $200 for a case and I should think it should arrive as it left the factory. that coupled with the fact that 2 of them arrived with the same problems spots, its almost as if there wasn't enough done all around, factory, packaging and shipping.

theres no where on the shipping box that says this end up and the way they have it in there makes sense to keep this from happening but if you don't know what way was up, because shippers done read the box and only understand arrows apparently, then how are they going to know to not ship it upside down.

then theres the quality of the plastics too...

I really like the layout of this case but that last part concerns me.

I'm gonna shoot both amazon and nanoxia an e-mail. I feel like an *** hole returning 2 cases with the same problem and they aren't cheap to ship back but this is what I decided on after along time thinking about it so I don't want to give up just yet

also sorry about the quality of pics, they were quick n dirty shots that a batch resized, no touching up

Damn, sorry to hear things didn't work out for you there. I'd consider going with another case though after that...... Maybe look at a case with a metal front so tat there's nothing can be damaged in shipping.

You'd have to hit my Silverstone with a hammer to damage it. I prefer metal all round these days for precisely that reason.

I think it may be a different scenario if you were to buy in a store. Then you know what condition the item is when you receive it..... Online however, things need to be a bit more rugged. I just go all metal constructed cases and then you never have an issue one way or another. Having said that, my case shipped without the top fan dust cover. I had to go back through the store with photo's so they'd arrange it through Silverstone. Took a month.

I was a bit skeptical myself to begin, not sure how these were dropped out of the discussion as many old timers doing rebuilds with em atm and seem to love em.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139022

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139032

I would have even went some version of a HAF myself but you're dead set on getting that.

GL

not enough room on my desk for that and a par of monitors

any way I was considering giving it one last 3rd time but a friend of mine told me to call their support line at amazon so I just got off the phone with them, they actually called me which was odd....only after I put the info in to have them call me...

any way I managed to get an item pulled for physical review. so for the time being the nanoxia deep silence 6 black case is not longer for sale offered by amazon, there is still one being sold by another company on amazon but not amazon them selves. she said i'd get an e-mail when I was back up and they got it ironed out and i'll get a refund for the time being.

that also means I am returning my Silverstone case fan filter too.

so the hunts back on.

P.S.

I thought about getting the HAF stacker but I wanted a quiet case with a lot of airflow and that isn't any thing but filtered open air all over. I'll need to PM S.I.N. and ask how loud his Phanteks case was and then this size Silverstone is a bit out of my price range I think but i'll check It out, if its much over $150 i'll have to order from amazon because $150 cash (debit actually) is all I can allot for a case and I have $100 to add to that if I buy on amazon (gift card)

ok so I have been hunting around and the wife said I should give this case one last shot, kinda like 3rd times the charm sort of thing so if this one comes in crapped out then I will move on to something else.

I did get a new desk so I have room now for air 540's but how quiet is it if this other one comes back crap?

I was looking at it and the 750D

Personally I'd be looking at something that's a bit stronger by now... Too much effort to have to return stuff if they're bloken. Try Lian Li or Silverstone cares, or something else with all metal construction.

The Air 540 is really quiet, especially since every fan slot can be a 140mm.

its amazon, they just email you a shipping label, you slap it on and ship it off.

any way considering that MOST can be a 140mm fan and I have a boatload of 120mm do you think that would add much to the noise of the case?

its amazon, they just email you a shipping label, you slap it on and ship it off.

any way considering that MOST can be a 140mm fan and I have a boatload of 120mm do you think that would add much to the noise of the case?

No, decent 120mm fans are pretty quiet also.
It does come with 3x140mm though, so what I would do is run those in the rear/top and put your 3x120mm in the front.

that's what I am thinking if that's what it comes down too. we will see what happens...

if I do get another broken one I am seriously considering the 750D aswell
any one have any experience with it?

Back