• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thermalright SLK 800

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I've set my sights higher than 200mhz. Ive been playing around with OCing my current puter just to get my feet wet. Now I feel more comfortable with this crap. Going to shoot for at least a 500mhz OC with the Athlon 2400+ now. Don't want the noise associated with OCing that high with air, and I don't think my roommate does either :p , so I'm just gonna go water.

malon said:
well i have the slk-tornado combo and i am very happy, with my 1600+ @ 1800mhz I get temp arround 50C (~33C room temp)

Those temps seem pretty damn high for an slk800 and tornado. Sounds like you need better case airflow

Lithan said:
Well it is 33* in the room and He does have a 400mhz overclock there.

With a 1.8vcore? I didn't think having that and a 400MHz increase would raise the temps that much.

Tipycol

It might... but I'd guess he probably bumped the core up a bit as well. No clue though, Goo was probably right in that he might need more case cooling in either case. I'm a novice at best when it comes to overclocking. (A few extra mhz here and there from my socket 7 and slot 1 systems.) I was really just pointing out that 33* celsius is a very warm room to begin with. (low 90's)

i can barely squeeze out 150 mhz out of my gay .18micron 2100+ palomino. I'm at 1885...stupid crap. full volts too...with athlons you really need water as they get hot enough as is, if you want a decent overclock you need water. Adn with the watercooling get a D-Tek heatercore .... they are 1000 times better than black ice crap. Also, buy the Spir@l block from d-tek and some water wetter. As far as pump the Via Aqua is a lot mroe powerful than eheim and only 20$ and quieter...if you want waste your money on the big and bad eheim. D-Tek has much better stuff than dangerden. Anyways, with the setup i jus wrote you should be able able to keep your cpu right at room temp.

Hmm...and I wonder how much that setup would cost. I haven't gotten into cooling that much, but from what people say water is very appealing (not only to me but to some microscopic things as well :eek: )

Cooler Core Combo $48
Via-Aqua 370GPH pump $25
Bay-Res Reservoir $25
Gemini Cool High Flow Spiral $42
10 ft. Tygon Tubing $26.50
10 Nylon Hose CLamps $8.50
120mm Sunon 108 CFM $13

Total: $188 +Shipping

Last edited:
DarkSide8416 said:
Cooler Core Combo $48
Via-Aqua 370GPH pump $25
Bay-Res Reservoir $25
Gemini Cool High Flow Spiral $42
10 ft. Tygon Tubing $26.50

Total: $175

Hmm that much huh? Now let me think about what I planned as my ultimate air cooling case:

SLK-800 $48
Vantec Tornado $15
6x YS Tech 120x38mm 135cfm $90
Rheobus $16

Total: $169

Pretty darn close for me. Maybe I will go to water cooling. Guess it will have to depend on how much money I have when I decide to upgrade my computer.

Thanks

Tipycol

Changed my watercooling plans a bit and got the price down:

Cooler Core Combo $48
Sunon 120mm 108 CFM $13
Via Aqua 1300 w/ 1/2" Barbs $21
10 ft. ClearFlex60 Tubing $12.50
Nylon T Fitting $1
Z4 AquaSink Waterblock $40

Total: $144

DarkSide8416 said:
Changed my watercooling plans a bit and got the price down:

Cooler Core Combo $48
Sunon 120mm 108 CFM $13
Nylon T Fitting $1
Z4 AquaSink Waterblock $40

Total: $144

uh..yikes.. if this is your first overclock, i'd really reccomend going with a prebuild system. less headache, and it looks 50x cleaner than some whiteboy strapping a 86 camero heater core on the side of their antec tower =P

DarkSide8416 do you know of ne links you can give me relating to that kit
sounds nice and where can i get that z4 in the States.

ne help appreciated, thanx

Not first overclock anymore...
Anyways I've been lookin into this crap a lot...obsessively actually. Changed muh plans again:
DTekCustoms.com
Cooler Core Combo $48
10 Nylon Hose Clamps $8.50
Purple Ice $3.50

Case-Mod.com
Sunon 120mm 108 CFM $13
Nylon T Fitting $1

Swiftnets.com
MCW462-UH Waterblock $61.50 with shipping

I'm not going to go with a prebuilt system like Koolance because I have read bad things about it. I don't mind the headache...got tons of time on my hands. Its not going to look ghetto either...Ive got experience with doing my own case mods.
o well it should be a fun learning experience hopefully with good results :beer:

DarkSide8416 said:
Not first overclock anymore...
Anyways I've been lookin into this crap a lot...obsessively actually. Changed muh plans again:
DTekCustoms.com
Cooler Core Combo $48
10 Nylon Hose Clamps $8.50
Purple Ice $3.50

Case-Mod.com
Sunon 120mm 108 CFM $13
Nylon T Fitting $1

Swiftnets.com
MCW462-UH Waterblock $61.50 with shipping

I'm not going to go with a prebuilt system like Koolance because I have read bad things about it. I don't mind the headache...got tons of time on my hands. Its not going to look ghetto either...Ive got experience with doing my own case mods.
o well it should be a fun learning experience hopefully with good results :beer:

Can't wait to here about your OC'ing once you get this built.

Tipycol

Back